Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGuy

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
FCP 5.0.4 still not working

Right now, I bet FCP isn't launching at all because something's wrong with your Final Cut Studio System ID file. It's in the ProApps folder. Delete that file (or rename it, adding "old" to the end of it if you like), launch FCP and enter your serials.

I deleted the ID file, launched FCP, entered my serial number and once again the splash screen appeared and then vanished.

So it still doesn't work.

I'm not a happy camper at the moment.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Update not showing up for me

I'm in the UK and software update isn't showing any software to download??

flir67

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2005
Hey all,

update worked fine here, but there's still a lingering problem for me; whenever i use bootcamp, windows changes the time format for the computer time automatically. However, upon restarting in to OS X, the XP time standard remains and the time is off by a number of hours. In the time/date system pref, i have "set date & time automatically" checked, but it never actually does it on its own. I have to open that window in sys prefs and THEN it will change the time for me. It's a real pain in the butt. Any ideas on why this is happening??? (and by the way, my firewall allows "Network Time" to pass)

wait are you talking about xp or os x . if your talking bout xp. hay its windows its suppose to screw up remember :)

if os x , check time zone settings could be a preference that needs resetting. or cache cleaning.

or you have a bot on your computer changing it. reformat 0 level and reinstall.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
And with the hacked OS X (IIRC)
It has to do with Linux, Solaris, and OS X setting the hardware time to GMT and Windows insisting on "updating" the system clock to local time. It's because Windows decided it couldn't just go along with a standard...not that anyone should be surprised by that.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
24" iMac

I JUST got my 24" iMac yesterday, and thought my software updates were going to be done for a while, then I noticed this popping up.

Worked perfectly though, so no complaints.

Did you know that a touch screen model is available for the 24" iMac?

JQW

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
Time/Dates are hard to program.

There's so many exceptions to rules.

I'm not surprised by this.

The compiled zone files are usually fairly small, and are generally no more than 1K each in size. There's just a lot of them.

The files reside in /usr/share/zoneinfo. On some operating systems the source files are also provided here to allow users to recompile the rules if needed, using the 'zic' utility. These rule files contain a lot of historical data on time zones.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
updated FCP to 5.0.4

but it won't launch, the splash screen starts and then disappears

very disappointing

i haven't updated to 5.1 because Apple Canada doesn't support the exchange of install DVDs, we have to send them to the US and i didn't want to incur both the expense, hassle and the thought of possibly losing my master install DVDs

any ideas?

I bet that is your problem. Sounds like the update yesterday should have told you you needed to update first instead of messing up your 5.0.4. Don't worry about the master installs, simply make copies of them before sending just in case and I scanned the disks as proof then I sent them via FedEx. I was worried too but the new disks came back in two days.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Did anyone get a gray world symbol (like a flat globe) on boot after installing these updates? I've never seen it before, and I can't see anyone mentioning it on any forums.

Before the gray Apple symbol showed up, there was a gray World logo for a long time before it finally displayed the Apple and continued booting.

iGuy

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
FCP 5.0.4 up and running now

I bet that is your problem. Sounds like the update yesterday should have told you you needed to update first instead of messing up your 5.0.4. Don't worry about the master installs, simply make copies of them before sending just in case and I scanned the disks as proof then I sent them via FedEx. I was worried too but the new disks came back in two days.

I just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support. The problem was with the Preference files. I deleted:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finalcutpro.plist
~/Library/Preferences/Final Cut Pro User Data

After much pondering, I'll go ahead with the upgrade to 5.1.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Other than this issue, things do seem a little snappier in general after the system updates.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
A Mac Pro and MacBook both updated without problems.

It it my imagination, or does Apple release these security updates just a week or so before they unleash the next full update (10.4.9 in this case). While such updates are not always follow a security update (several can come out between OS version updates), OS X updates is usually preceeded by a security update (allowing those who don;t want to use the new release to still get the security updates) :eek:

Nitromaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Ireland.
Best bit about security updates is that they fix security holes,Its easier to hack into an unupdated mac if you know what the security holes are.... The macs we have in schoold arent really updated much, The version of firefox is 1.4, at least i have firefox 2 installed to my desktop.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
problems with Java in Safari?

FYI, I've noticed a few problems with Java in Safari lately. On a couple of web sites when trying to rent a car I'll hit the submit button and either nothing happens or the response is as if I had put in screwy dates. It seems like this used to work so it could be something on this system became corrupt. Scans of permissions and the disk showed nothing wrong. The same websites work fine with IE on windows. I tried a restart but nothing changed.

Edit: After applying the Java update the sites I had trouble with now work fine. I don't what the problem was but it was fixed by the update.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Yes, I think so too, just installed, restarted and started browsing, it is defenitely snappier.... hope there are no incompatible websites out there now...there weren't that many...

I think he was joking by saying the default reply people say after any Apple update of any kind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.