MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I also hope this fixes my auto-dimming "feature" that never quite turns off. Also, I hope it fixes my laptop's inability to sleep (automatically due to energy saver settings) while on AC power. It does this whether on my normal account or on a virgin account with no startup items or programs running. It's very annoying.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
It will be a big step from refined Tiger to buggy Leopard...

I don't know why people think that. Leopard is way more refined than Tiger. Any time I have to boot into Tiger for something, it always feels great to go back to Leopard and that's just the latest beta. I'll jump into 10.5 and never look back. People think they're sooo smart by waiting for 10.5.2 or whatever but all they'll be doing is missing out.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I sure hope they fix Safari's insane memory usage... :)

That would be nice, wouldn't it? I leave my Safari open for probably a week at a time and I think it's GMail that really uses up the memory! So, perhaps that is not a fault of Safari at all.

Can anyone give feedback on Safari 3.0's memory usage? Is it smaller than 2.0?

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
I've been corresponding with Apple engineering via the ADC bug reports. They are still oblivious to the airport issues with 3rd party routers, despite the latest airport updates. Guess the odds of this being fixed are slim to none...Bleh

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I've been corresponding with Apple engineering via the ADC bug reports. They are still oblivious to the airport issues with 3rd party routers, despite the latest airport updates. Guess the odds of this being fixed are slim to none...Bleh

Third party routers my a$$!!! I'm getting drops every 15-30 minutes via an Airport Extreme on my MacBook ever since 10.4.10

seanneko

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007

I wonder if that's true or if they're still just lying about it so that people don't think it's a widespread issue.

I have no idea why they don't just rollback to 10.4.9 Airport drivers. I mean really, whatever "enhancement" they added in the 10.4.10 drivers can't be THAT important because nobody even knows what it is.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
They're trying to make a "compatibility release" of Tiger, similar to 10.3.9 for Panther. Most current apps work with the latest Panther for example but may be broken on 10.3.4 which was the most stable Panther. Same way, 10.4.8 is the most stable Tiger but they have to release a future-proof version, at least 10.4.11 and more if that's not stable enough.

At least pro audio apps are struggling with the latest two Tiger releases so there's definetely something going on under the hood.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I hope the fix the USB HD no read problem unless connected to hub. I am waiting for this patch to avoid back rolling Mac os to 10.4.9, good thing I found a time consuming way to back up my stuff from 26 hours to 2 hours.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR

Significantly better, in general. There's still some issues (for example, Flash video streams will eat ram like nothing else, and not give it back), but it's a noticeable improvement.

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
well, with the large number of update dumps weve seen in the last few days-it could be today or tomorrow...then they can let these guys loose to polish the apple-er-pet the large black kitty that bytes...

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
well, with the large number of update dumps weve seen in the last few days-it could be today or tomorrow...then they can let these guys loose to polish the apple-er-pet the large black kitty that bytes...

Saturday evening would be a good day to release it. Have they ever released 10.x.x on a weekend though?

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
neither GMail nor Safari specific

That would be nice, wouldn't it? I leave my Safari open for probably a week at a time and I think it's GMail that really uses up the memory! So, perhaps that is not a fault of Safari at all.

It seems to be browsers in general IMO, at least for Safari and Firefox. The longer you leave a session on and the more you browse both real and virtual memory just keep climbing relentlessly, and never give back memory when you close tabs (nor directly seem to add it immediately when you open one??).

In FF's case it happens equally on my Mac and Win.

Interestingly, I just upgraded my iBook Ram from 1 to 1.5 GB, as I thought things would speed up because of fewer calls to virtual RAM, but instead, FF is now using more than double the V-Ram and only "modestly" more RAM, but both browsers seem to grab mem of both kinds and never let it go until quit (and for FF Win, sometimes until reboot).

Most interestingly, why would anyone who doesn't wear SJ jammies to bed use GMail on Safari where many of its features are missing??

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
I also hope this fixes my auto-dimming "feature" that never quite turns off. Also, I hope it fixes my laptop's inability to sleep (automatically due to energy saver settings) while on AC power. It does this whether on my normal account or on a virgin account with no startup items or programs running. It's very annoying.
:mad::mad::mad:
My most hated OS X bug ever. I can't believe Apple hasn't fixed it yet considering how long it's been around. $!@#&*!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.