Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the eighth beta of the upcoming tvOS 15 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new beta coming one week released the seventh beta.

Apple-TV-tvOS-15-Feature.jpg

Developers can download the new tvOS 15 beta by downloading a profile onto the ‌Apple TV‌ using Xcode.

Apple shared little about tvOS 15 when it was unveiled, but there are some new features that are coming to the operating system. SharePlay, a FaceTime feature that lets multiple users watch TV shows or movies together, will integrate with tvOS, and there's a new "For All of You" recommendation engine that suggests shows everyone might enjoy.

A Shared With You section also displays movies and shows that were shared with you through the Messages app so you remember to check them out. When paired with AirPods Pro or AirPods Max, the Apple TV supports Spatial audio for a theater-like surround sound experience, and there's a new feature for automatically connecting your AirPods through Smart AirPods routing.

Hey Siri commands can be used to launch Apple TV+ shows, and two HomePod mini speakers can be paired with the Apple TV 4K for stereo sound. If you have HomeKit cameras, you can also now view multiple cameras at the same time on the Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Eighth Beta of tvOS 15 to Developers [Public Beta Available]

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Overview​

The tvOS 15 SDK provides support to develop tvOS apps for Apple TV devices running tvOS 15 beta 8. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 13 beta 5, available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 13, see Xcode 13 Beta 5 Release Notes.

App Store​

Known Issues​

• The unfinished property might return VerificationResult<Transaction> for transactions that have already finished. (81346114)
  • Purchases performed in the Sandbox environment return `VerificationResult.unverified:):)’. (71949674)

Logging​

Deprecations​

• Support for cleartext HTTP URL schemes for Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) is now deprecated. Use only HTTPS URL schemes for PAC. This affects all PAC configurations, including, but not limited to, configurations set via Settings, System Preferences, profiles, and URLSession APIs such as connectionProxyDictionary and CFNetworkExecuteProxyAutoConfigurationURL(_:_:_:_:). If you configure a cleartext HTTP PAC URL, the system may upgrade it to HTTPS during PAC file loads. Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) Protocol via DNS isn’t affected. Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Option 252 WPAD may attempt to upgrade cleartext HTTP URLs to HTTPS during PAC file loads. (61981845)

MapKit​

Deprecations​

SharePlay​

Deprecations​

• SharePlay development in beta 7 and upcoming beta releases requires the installation of an updated SharePlay Development Profile. This profile enables successful creation and reception of GroupSessions via the Group Activities API in iOS 15, iPadOS 15 and tvOS 15 beta 7, as well as macOS Monterey beta 6. (81816137)

SwiftUI​

Deprecations​

• controlProminence is deprecated. Use the new .borderedProminent ButtonStyle instead. (78908460)

Xcode​

Known Issues​

• MusicKit functionality, such as loading content with music requests, doesn’t work in simulated devices. (78559381)
    Workaround: Test your app’s MusicKit functionality on a physical device.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
library dumpster fire!
Yes! got here first.
Well what discussion has there been with using Home Sharing to share media from a Mac to the AppleTV? Not even sure that's the best option at this time. I am sure there is other software you can use a Apple TV as a bridge device for a large media file sharing collection.

For anyone new BWhaler posts are non descriptive to his actual complaint.

Last edited:

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Are there third party apps in the works that will make use of tvOS multi user accounts? Seems to be very quite on that front.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Well what discussion has there been with using Home Sharing to share media from a Mac to the AppleTV? Not even sure that's the best option at this time. I am sure there is other software you can use a Apple TV as a bridge device for a large media file sharing collection.

For anyone new his posts are non descriptive to his actual complaint.
You got the wrong guy. He is mocking the the one you're talking about.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I use the built-in Computers app on ATV for access to video from my Mac in the next room.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
BWhaler does like to complain about library, but as I've mentioned a few times, there HAVE been improvements to library/"Computers"

So, it's gone from flaming dumpster fire to heavily smoking dumpster fire. It works, but I hold my breath on every update for regressions, which are common.

Reactions: Braderunner

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003

For anyone new BWhaler posts are non descriptive to his actual complaint.

incorrect. I explain it every release. On the AppleTV app on Apple‘s own hardware, large libraries do not load. They will load on non-Apple hardware, which is comical.

And forget your wonky workarounds. there is no other software with access to Apple’s cloud media libraries as Apple won’t allow that. And like most modern customers, I don’t want to create local media servers.

Clearly Apple can make this work since it does on some devices, just not their own. The problem is they don’t care.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.