Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Anyone who had been experiencing battery drain issues with 10.3.2 and prior 10.3.3 betas, I'm rather interested in hearing if 10.3.3b5 "cures" that up.

Given that Apple Support had been having users downgrade from 10.3.2 to 10.3.1 to remediate the issue (which requires iTunes, a computer, downloading a 1GB+ IPSW, and do a full backup and restore) but then closed the signing window for 10.3.1 last night, I'm of the opinion that Apple finally tracked down what was causing the problem--or, at least, believe they did--and it went as far back as 10.3.1 (which would mean that the 10.3.1 downgrade wasn't necessarily the "fix" the "pain" warranted). In that case, Apple chose to close 10.3.1 (which screws the jailbreakers) and their plan would be to just assuage afflicted users for another week or so when 10.3.3 ships and finally resolves it.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Omg enough with this 5 betas wow for a point point release with zero changes how many betas does this really need lol
Zero huh? Remember 10.3.2 had 5 betas as well. You honestly don't believe there are no changes in the code do you? And Apple is just releasing builds to annoy beta testers? For example beta 4 downgraded modem firmware that was upgraded in beta 3 as one change between the builds.

Reactions: PR1985

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
I put it on a spare 9.7 iPad I have... The OS itself is very solid - but these builds are SLOW. Swiping between screens is like 4fps.

Audigy

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
Part of the reason they're doing so many betas of 10.3.3 is that they're introducing changes to the way file accesses are performed to improve issues with filename normalisation and APFS:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/06/27/apfs-native-normalization/

Thanks for the info, I didn't know they were adding transparent normalization into 10.3.3's APFS. It's just a pity that is not completely native at a lower level(thus the performance hit), making us wait for iOS 11 for the better revision of APFS. Just hope that they don't slow down to a crawl all the A7 SoC devices in iOS 11, since the only remaining options right now are staying in 10.3.2 with a broken APFS or upgrading to 10.3.3+ with a half-baked solution that translates in some performance hit at file system level.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
To be clear, there should be no difference in performance, because the only time extra work gets done is in the rare situation that the workaround is designed to fix: when an attempt is made to access a file, but the filename can't be found because it's in a different encoding (at which point the system will try alternative encodings, which might take a fraction of a second longer - but that's better than the app thinking the file doesn't exist and saying it can't find a document, etc).

So thankfully this change is implemented in a way that won't impact system performance in any way :)

Audigy

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
To be clear, there should be no difference in performance, because the only time extra work gets done is in the rare situation that the workaround is designed to fix: when an attempt is made to access a file, but the filename can't be found because it's in a different encoding (at which point the system will try alternative encodings, which might take a fraction of a second longer - but that's better than the app thinking the file doesn't exist and saying it can't find a document, etc).

So thankfully this change is implemented in a way that won't impact system performance in any way :)

I see, nonetheless I'm not a fan of these half-baked approaches. There is still some conditioning applied, an extra layer above the file system. Apple should fix this now(with a native solution) not make us wait months for iOS 11... their amateurish move, their accountability.

DavePurz

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
iPhone 6s Plus Build 14G5057a
[doublepost=1498785531][/doublepost]
Anyone who had been experiencing battery drain issues with 10.3.2 and prior 10.3.3 betas, I'm rather interested in hearing if 10.3.3b5 "cures" that up.

Yes. Weird battery drain started for me with 10.3.3 b4. Hopefully this fixes it.

I work for a place that requires me to turn the iphone OFF for hours. I've had two instances of turning it back on and finding the battery 20% LESS than it was before turning it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.