Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming macOS Mojave 10.14.1 update to developers, one week after seeding the fourth beta and over a month after releasing the macOS Mojave update.

macOS Mojave introduces a new method of installing software updates, so after the initial beta has been installed using the appropriate profile from the Developer Center, additional betas can be downloaded through opening up System Preferences and choosing the "Software Update" option.

macosmojaveimac-800x668.jpg

The 10.14.1 update includes support for Group FaceTime, a feature that was removed during the beta testing period. Group FaceTime, which lets you chat with up to 32 people at once, is also present in the iOS 12.1 beta.

macOS Mojave 10.14.1 introduces more than 70 new emoji characters that are also available in iOS 12.1 and watchOS 5.1. There are new options for red hair, curly hair, no hair, and gray hair, along with characters to represent superheroes, cold face, party face, pleading face, and face with hearts.

There are a number of new animals and food items like kangaroo, parrot, lobster, mango, lettuce, and cupcake. Tweaks have been made to some existing emoji as well. The iPhone emoji, for example, has been updated to look like the iPhone X with no bezels or Home button.

unicode11emoji3-800x361.jpg

We didn't find any other significant new features in the first four developer betas of macOS Mojave, so it's not clear if there are any additional changes. The update likely includes performance improvements and bug fixes for issues that have been discovered since the release of the original Mojave software.

macOS Mojave is a major update that brings features like a systemwide Dark Mode, stacks for organizing messy desktops, new Finder capabilities, new tools for taking screenshots, a Continuity Camera option for easily transferring photo scans and documents from iPhone to Mac, and more. For more on macOS Mojave, make sure to check out our roundup.

Update: A new beta of macOS Mojave 10.14.1 is also available to Apple's public beta testing group.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of macOS Mojave 10.14.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Adam620

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
Anyone having an issue where edited Live photos synced to MacOS Mojave via usb are not syncing back to their iPhone Xs iOS 12 through iTunes (Live within the MacOS photos app). The picture sync's just not the live feature, non edited live photos synced just fine. Not sure if this is limited to Mojave, iOS 12, new iTunes or the new iPhone Xs.

I have tried un-syncing and re-syncing, Repairing photo library, rebuilding iPod photo cache with the the photos library, and restoring my iPhone and still have the issue. Thanks!!

humzaifat

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming macOS Mojave 10.14.1 update to developers, one week after seeding the fourth beta and over a month after releasing the macOS Mojave update.

macOS Mojave introduces a new method of installing software updates, so after the initial beta has been installed using the appropriate profile from the Developer Center, additional betas can be downloaded through opening up System Preferences and choosing the "Software Update" option.

macosmojaveimac-800x668.jpg

The 10.14.1 update includes support for Group FaceTime, a feature that was removed during the beta testing period. Group FaceTime, which lets you chat with up to 32 people at once, is also present in the iOS 12.1 beta.

macOS Mojave 10.14.1 introduces more than 70 new emoji characters that are also available in iOS 12.1 and watchOS 5.1. There are new options for red hair, curly hair, no hair, and gray hair, along with characters to represent superheroes, cold face, party face, pleading face, and face with hearts.

There are a number of new animals and food items like kangaroo, parrot, lobster, mango, lettuce, and cupcake. Tweaks have been made to some existing emoji as well. The iPhone emoji, for example, has been updated to look like the iPhone X with no bezels or Home button.

unicode11emoji3-800x361.jpg

We didn't find any other significant new features in the first four developer betas of macOS Mojave, so it's not clear if there are any additional changes. The update likely includes performance improvements and bug fixes for issues that have been discovered since the release of the original Mojave software.

macOS Mojave is a major update that brings features like a systemwide Dark Mode, stacks for organizing messy desktops, new Finder capabilities, new tools for taking screenshots, a Continuity Camera option for easily transferring photo scans and documents from iPhone to Mac, and more. For more on macOS Mojave, make sure to check out our roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of macOS Mojave 10.14.1 to Developers
[doublepost=1540324155][/doublepost]They are just busy to fool the customers, by updating emojis, dark mode, and here I am frustrated that my spotlight is not searching my pages documents after the Mojave update (reindexed multiple times). They just solve one problem and create another problem in pages. I don't know what the heck they do with the pages app. This is ridiculous !

Reactions: Big Ron

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
is the font rendering fixed?

The font rendering is here to stay. In a week Apple will no longer sell Macs without a Retina display.

Now even on my 15” Retina display I can notice the different font rendering. I’m not sure if LCD font smoothing looks better on or off. Can’t decide.

To see the difference put your Mojave in dark mode and then toggle font smoothing on and off. It’s harder to notice it in the regular light mode.

Reactions: martyjmclean

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
The font rendering is here to stay. In a week Apple will no longer sell Macs without a Retina display.

Now even on my 15” Retina display I can notice the different font rendering. I’m not sure if LCD font smoothing looks better on or off. Can’t decide.

To see the difference put your Mojave in dark mode and then toggle font smoothing on and off. It’s harder to notice it in the regular light mode.

They will, it will be called Mac Mini and (maybe) Mac Pro.

Those do not come with external display.

What if I connect them to 22 inch or bigger 1080p display? That, technically, isn't nowhere near Retina. Even 1440p isn't.

Reactions: Oculus Mentis

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
They will, it will be called Mac Mini and (maybe) Mac Pro.

Those do not come with external display.

What if I connect them to 22 inch or bigger 1080p display? That, technically, isn't nowhere near Retina. Even 1440p isn't.

That’s what they sell 4K and 5K displays for. You don’t have to buy the TB3 LGs. There are many on the market.

Reactions: martyjmclean
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.