Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of macOS Mojave 10.14.4 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming macOS Mojave 10.14.4 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the fourth macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta and almost two months after releasing macOS Mojave 10.14.3.

The new macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta can be downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after the proper profile has been installed from Apple's Developer Center.

[​IMG]

macOS Mojave 10.14.4 brings Apple News to Canada for the first time, allowing Canadian Mac users to access news stories in French, English, or both.

The update also includes support for Safari AutoFill using Touch ID and automatic dark mode themes in Safari. That means if you have Dark Mode enabled, when you visit a website that has an option for a dark theme, it will be activated automatically. You can see a demo of the feature here.

macOS Mojave 10.14.4 will likely be in beta testing for the next several weeks as Apple refines features and works out bugs. After that, it will see a release alongside iOS 12.2, watchOS 5.2, and tvOS 12.2.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of macOS Mojave 10.14.4 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

2. bigpoppa macrumors member

bigpoppa

3. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Does iTunes still shove album ratings down everyone's throats, cluttering up the music browser and messing up smart playlists that use song ratings in the rules?

4. iDonnie macrumors newbie

And still... No Nvidia Web Driver ‍♂️

5. uneeko1ne macrumors member

uneeko1ne

Wish they'd update itunes, clean it up a little bit

6. VictorTango777, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Apple engineers only seem to test MacOS using 12 inch MacBooks. If you do connect a large external monitor, you may as well cover the entire screen with a sheet of cardboard and then cut out a section in the bottom left corner.

My main computer is a MBP which I often use offsite with just the laptop screen. When I return home, I connect a 30 inch, 2560x1600 monitor which is set as the main display.. After I get back and connect the 30 inch monitor, this is what happens:

1. Finder windows that were in the top left corner or the center of the laptop screen now open in the bottom left corner of the 30 inch monitor.
    2. Applications such as Photos, News, Stocks which I put in the center of the laptop screen now open in the bottom left corner of the 30 inch monitor.
    3. Documents from applications such as Keynote and Omnigraffle which filled the laptop screen now open in the bottom left corner of the 30 inch monitor.
    4. DMG disk image files for various downloaded applications frequently open in the in the bottom left corner of the 30 inch monitor by default.
    5. Some applications such as DVD Player in MacOS 10.14 Mojave keep opening in the bottom left corner of the 30 inch monitor no matter how many times I move the application window.

When I use the laptop offsite, I am afraid to open folders or work on documents for fear that everything will be thrown into the bottom left corner of the 30 inch monitor once connected. I doubt that all the Mac application developers conspired to purposely put their applications in the bottom left corner of the screen. So I must conclude that this is a problem in MacOS that Apple needs to fix. I first noticed this irritating behavior in 10.10 Yosemite and it continues to this day.

If you think this looks annoying on a 30 inch monitor, think of all the fun you will have with a 38 inch or larger ultrawide monitor. It may help to put the monitor on a stand and position it so you are looking directly at the bottom left corner of the monitor. That is apparently what Apple engineers do.

Can everyone please share screenshots of your own experiences with this irritating, idiotic, brain-dead window positioning behavior in MacOS when switching between different size displays? I have never seen an operating system handle window positioning as STUPIDLY as MacOS.

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 23.19.15.jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 23.20.40.jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 21.21.10.jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 20.47.06.png Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 21.04.06.png Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 22.04.17.png Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 20.58.32.jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 20.58.50.jpg

7. macdos macrumors regular

macdos

It is to be expected from a phone company. Try this: Open iTunes on a 4K monitor and resize it to a comfortable size (> 2K). Hide it. Let the computer go to sleep. Wake computer, and bring forth iTunes. Window size has been reduced to 2K. Why do they do all these stupid internal resizes? Just accept the chosen resolution.

And this: Open Safari and place it to the left edge of the screen. Open another window, it will naturally tile a bit to the right. Close that window, and then quit Safari with the rameining window at the leftmost edge. Open Safari again, and it will not remember that last position, but place the window in the previous tiled position. Most other operating systems I know of, including earlier versions of Mac OS, honor window position.

8. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

9. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

I think those of us that come here because we actually enjoy Apple products should just abandon these forums. Let the negative nellies stew in their never-ending spew with no one but themselves to listen. All the live for is to thrash something ... anything. Of course Apple isn't perfect, but neither are you.

10. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Awesome logic, lets not ask for improvements for anything so the world can live in limbo in its current state, progress is a ****** concept, right?

11. beppedessi macrumors newbie

beppedessi

Does this update bring up some good news about the compatibility with the Radeon Vega VII (eGPU)?

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

If you aren't using https://www.apple.com/feedback to log your issue, Apple isn't going to know about it.

13. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

I think it is safe to say that you (and we all Mac users) can forget about Nvidia. Forever.

14. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Not yet. Would be very surprised if it was available that soon. Vega 56/64 came two updates after the GPUs were released.

15. star-affinity macrumors 65816

star-affinity

Educated (i.e. informed) guess or a just a guess? =)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2019 ---
    I guess you have reported it to Apple? Years ago, and still the same? :-/

I also find some user aspects of MacOS a bit strange, such as the column width of a column a manually set in open/save windows being reset every time it's opened. But at the same time there are other user interface aspects I find quite good, so overall it's the most comfortable OS to use I think. But it sure could use some polish in certain areas.

16. mxrider88 macrumors newbie

Can someone check if the continuity bug has been fixed?
    It isn’t working when using the Mac with more than one user account open at the same time. Tried everything already, initialised as well.
    2 user accounts with 2 different iCloud accounts linked to 2 different iPhones.
    Restart, log into my account, everything works, hotspot, iCloud clipboard, handoff, continuity camera etc.
    As soon as I switch to the second account that’s it. It won’t work anymore until I reboot and log into one single account.
    Logging off one account and into the other seems to be working tho.

Can someone check please? I reported to Apple but they are busy with the emoticons..

17. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

Apple has long standing, well established channels for reporting bugs and requesting features. You should try using them, since MacRumors forums is not one of those channels.

18. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

19. lunarworks macrumors 68000

Endless whining vs constructive criticism.

20. haddy macrumors 6502

Yeah slow download......PB 10.14.4 Beta (18E215a)

21. project_2501 macrumors 6502

not quite correct.

Apple monitor these forums.

How do I know? When I had my legal battle with Apple, part of the process was them disclosing information they held on me. That included my comments and threads here.

They do monitor forums like this, event if they don't admit it publicly.

22. Herbiek macrumors newbie

Herbiek

not on my razer egpu... HURRY UP!

23. Babygotfont macrumors regular

Babygotfont

Um ... I’m pretty damn close

24. Gogeta-Blue, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019

Gogeta-Blue Suspended

Gogeta-Blue

ok fair enough but Mac forum is not only to praise apple either
    you have the right to like apple but we also have the right to "complaint" or express our opinion
    if you accept apple lower standards, I don't have any problem with that
    what I don't understand is why some people get mad when all we want is an improvement

you should understand that there are people out there that might see things totally different to the way you see things
    that's why I accept your opinion and point of view even if is the opposite to mine
    but I respectfully disagree

there is no reason to get upset
    if you are fine with the way apple is doing things, that is perfectly fine
    but don't judge others or throw them down the bus
    simply because we want something a bit better
    we are not asking for the world or "perfection", we simply want something that is acceptable
    and what apple been offering lately is totally unacceptable

this is nothing personal against apple fans or apple
    we love apple we simply want apple to return to normal

basically before mr crook sorry mr cook era
    like it or not with all due respect, apple has lower their standards

the problem is that some people simply can’t handle the truth
    and wants to shove apple down people's throat
    if we said anything , we are negative and we are whining and complaining
    well I got another word for you, we are realistic and we are not blinded by fanaticism
    we are sincere and we call it like it is, we love apple as much as you do
    but we can't clap when apple do something wrong

just because apple has a report bug page, it doesn't mean we can't talk about it any where else
    we have the same rights you have

let me flip the coin and give you an example of your previous comment #9

how bout , I should stopped coming here because there are a bunch of delusional apple fans
    that don't want to hear the truth

I will continue to come here regardless, I understand everybody has a different point of view
    you just have to learn how to accept other persons opinion just like I accept yours

peace

25. iAssimilated macrumors member

iAssimilated

+1 For hoping this release focuses on improving the drivers, reliability, optimization, and support for AMD Radeon cards and eGPUs!