Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of tvOS 11.2.5 to Developers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.2.5 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the fourth beta and almost a month after the release of tvOS 11.2.1, an update that introduced a fix for a HomeKit vulnerability.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 11.2.5 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

[​IMG]

We don't yet know what features or changes might be included in the tvOS 11.2.5 update, but it likely focuses primarily on bug fixes and performance improvements rather than major outward-facing changes.

There were no outward-facing changes discovered in the first four developer betas, but we'll update this post should new features be found in the fifth beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of tvOS 11.2.5 to Developers

2. ostrykolesz macrumors member

I really want to buy the new Apple TV, but no YouTube 4k is a deal breaker for me.

3. 1applerules1 macrumors regular

I'm having an issue where when I search for a movie through Siri, it will bring up the slide from the bottom of the screen but won't display any movies. Anybody else?

Attached Files:

4. Solver macrumors 6502a

Works for me on beta 5. It did have about a three second no results delay after restart though.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018 ---
    The YouTube app still needs to be updated by the developer to support 4K video

5. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Apple TV does not support the VP9 codec, which is Google's proprietary video compression format (royalty free, but with certain caveats- like ceasing patent litigation). YouTube uses VP9 in its 4K HDR content, so because Apple does not support it, Google doesn't update the Apple TV YouTube app.

Format wars suck.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Apple doesn't have to support it in the OS- or hardware-level in order for YouTube 4k to work. Google can write-in their VP9 decoder into the app itself. The ATV4k hardware has plenty of horsepower to decode VP9 4k in software, as Infuse has shown.

Apple isn't exactly laying out the red carpet for Google, but make no mistake - the ball is 100% in Google's court and Google can implement YouTube 4k on the AppleTV today if they wanted to.

7. Solver macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Basicly there are two ways this can happen. Either google updates their app to include their code for their VP9 codec or Apple adds that codec to their tvOS, then google updates their app. The last way does increase the memory size of tvOS for everyone.

8. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Hopefully AV1 makes everyone happy and no one has any worries.

9. JaguarF macrumors newbie

JaguarF

I certainly hope so. It seems that AV1 will be adopted by Youtube later this year and since Apple is now a founding member of Allience for Open Media, the future is looking somewhat brighter.

10. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

I haven’t updated my Apple TV 4K since I bought it. Is there any reason I should?

I just don’t want it to slow down like my last Apple TV did.

11. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Have you tried this? I have, and it was a slideshow :/

12. 2010mini macrumors 68040

didn't Google just join Apple in a new 4k format?