Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.2 update to developers for testing purposes, a week and a half after seeding the fourth tvOS 11.2 update and a month after the launch of tvOS 11.1.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 11.2 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

appletv4k2-800x691.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, the tvOS 11.2 update enables a new AVDisplayManager feature for developers, designed to allow the device to automatically switch video display modes to match the native frame rate and dynamic range of video content.

The update includes support for switching the Apple TV 4K display output to SDR for apps that are GPU-bound when running in HDR and it re-introduces the Unwatched category in Home Sharing for Movies, TV Shows, and Home Videos.

Apple says tvOS 11.2 also adds new features, bug fixes, and security improvements to the tvOS operating system.

Update: Apple has also seeded a new version of tvOS 11.2 for public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of tvOS 11.2 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

TheSuperE

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Portland, OR
will this fix the issue with the inability to get back to the main menu when I click the screen button? that is killing me on the 4th generation, making it almost un-usaeable.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Auto play next is the one feature I really want to see. It isn’t hard to implement, Apple, and to have it configurable. Give it to us! Same with TV app on iOS.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
will this fix the issue with the inability to get back to the main menu when I click the screen button? that is killing me on the 4th generation, making it almost un-usaeable.

There is a setting that lets you toggle between the Home button showing the home screen or the TV app if this is the issue you are having.

hyndman

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
San Diego
Hopefully this will fix the issue with not being able to swap user id's and country stores. I have been locked into a single user ID and hoping this next public beta fixes.

stickyd8

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
I would love to see them introduce an option to automatically play the next episode.........yes, I know it queues the next epsiode, but it would be nice to not have to do it manually. Kinda like the way Netflix does it. Other than that, I love this product and will like it even more once they activate the live sports notifications and scores.
[doublepost=1511895600][/doublepost]
What an absolute garbage of a product. I'll stick with Chromecast Ultra at $54..
Chromecast is dookie.

Reactions: rpe33 and Jayderek

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

I didn't like that either, but it's just a user preference. You can change the behavior in the settings.

If Netflix would just play ball with the TV app, I would probably like the current default behavior.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Tec972

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
Was really hoping today was the day they released their updates for the general masses

PaulSorensen

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Why is there a white circle around the "menu" button on the remote control? Is that the version of the remote that comes with the 4K Apple TV?

micimici

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
Good it's not just me!

Hi,
I was also suffering from the laggy remote. What helped me was to buy the super expendive Belkin ultra high speed hdmi cable (replacing my former also non-cheap hdmi high speed cable). Now, everything is smooth!

Alternatively, you may disable Dolby Vision / HDR.

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
Why is there a white circle around the "menu" button on the remote control? Is that the version of the remote that comes with the 4K Apple TV?

To differentiate it from the other Buttons, so you know when the Remote is 'right-side up.' It offers no other functional value. Yes, it comes with the 4K model.

TheSuperE

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Portland, OR
What an absolute garbage of a product. I'll stick with Chromecast Ultra at $54..
Good story bro. Guess you forgot you're in an apple forum. Troll.
[doublepost=1511899642][/doublepost]
There is a setting that lets you toggle between the Home button showing the home screen or the TV app if this is the issue you are having.
Nope currently about 70% of the time pressing that button does nothing at all. no Home or TV app... so that needs fixed. it worked without a hitch before this update. But good lookin out for sure.

Last edited:

docotto1969

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
I've been using the beta and it still hasn't fixed something that's bothering me. Sorting of TV Shows ignores the sorting field in iTunes. For example, "The Blacklist" is sorted under "T" and not "B". I've checked and the sorting field in iTunes is correct, says "Blacklist". Seems like an easy fix, but it's persisted since the release of tvOS 11 through all the betas.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
I'm getting some severe lag when navigating the menu on this new PB, takes several scroll attempts for cursor to move and when it does its way more than required.

Several restarts have not helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.