Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.3 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the fourth beta and three weeks after releasing the tvOS 11.2.6 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 11.3 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode and Apple Configurator.

tvos113beta.jpg

Early tvOS 11.3 updates introduced support for AirPlay 2, allowing the Apple TV to be added to the Home app as part of a HomeKit setup and enabling multiple Apple TVs in separate rooms to play the same song, but that functionality was removed in tvOS 11.3 beta 3.

It is not yet clear if Apple plans to re-add AirPlay 2 features ahead of the release of tvOS 11.3, but it's a possibility because there are still several betas to go.

Other new features in tvOS 11.3 include enhancements to Match Content support, automatic frame rate switching on the fourth-generation Apple TV (a feature that was added to Apple TV 4K in a past tvOS update), and automatic mode switching for AirPlay video sessions.

Update: Apple has also made a new beta of tvOS 11.3 available to public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of tvOS 11.3 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I really hope they make auto resolution switching an option. Mode switching for AirPlay seems to suggest maybe it will, assuming that applies to the way video was shot, vs. screen mirroring, and other aspects of AirPlay for which resolution might matter?

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Not showing up for me yet. Public beta. Anyone have the build number?

Edit Typo

Last edited:

juniormaj

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Newbury Park, CA
I have an AppleTV 4 and an AppleTV 4K, and neither is seeing the update.
I did notice that "Get Beta Updates" had turned off on both of them, so I re-enabled that.
Maybe it takes a short while to get back on it. Will check in a while.

cgibson190

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Chicago, IL
Has anyone had any luck with the 5th Public Beta in the U.S. yet? As of 10 AM (CST), I could still not download it. Does anyone have the build number for this TVOS?

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
Nothing in UK either and awaiting to confirm a reported bug is fixed, can’t comment more due to NDA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.