Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming tvOS 14 update to developers for testing purposes. Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 14 beta comes two weeks after the release of the fourth beta.

tvOS-Beta.jpg

Registered developers can download the new tvOS 14 beta onto the Apple TV through a profile that's installed using Apple's Xcode software.

tvOS 14 introduces Picture in Picture, a feature that lets you watch movies or TV shows in a small window in the corner of the screen while you do something else on the Apple TV.

tvos14pip.jpg

There's a new Home section in the Control Center on Apple TV in tvOS 14, which allows HomeKit-connected devices to be controlled right from the TV. There's an option to view HomeKit camera feeds on the larger screen of the television or in Picture in Picture mode so you can keep an eye on your house at all times.

tvos14.jpg

Apple Arcade on Apple TV now supports multiple users, so each tvOS user can keep track of their individual game levels, leaderboards, and invitations. Additional gaming controllers are supported, including the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 and Xbox Adaptive Controllers, and Apple TV games can now take advantage of haptic feedback and other features built into controllers.

applearcadeprofileswapping.jpg

There's an option to manually choose a screensaver category in tvOS 14, and for those who watch YouTube, tvOS 14 supports watching YouTube videos in 4K for the first time.

For more on the new features coming in tvOS 14, make sure to check out our roundup. tvOS 14 is expected to be released this fall alongside iOS and iPadOS 14.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of tvOS 14 to Developers

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011
Home-kit scenes! I love it. Right now I have two piece door monitors installed on my recliners that turn on TV mode lights when my feet go up. It works, but it's got some quirks.

I like the idea of the camera, but I would put one in the kitchen so I can keep an eye on the oven and microwave.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Please fix the buggy mess that is Apple TV app. Libraries don’t load, ads everywhere, etc.

It’s the worst piece of software Apple ships. Well, except Siri. But Siri is so bad it’s simply forgotten except for setting timers and asking what time it is.

gregsapphire

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
Yeah I can also confirm, no 4K YouTube. As I mentioned in a post on a different thread I could see this be a hardware issue with the A10X and hardware encoding. Vs an app update needed bc iOS, iPadOS and macOS all have support on newer devices. At least the ones I am running and I haven't heard anyone running a A10X or older iPad/iPhone running YouTube 4K. Might require new hardware with tvOS 14 to get it. Crossing my figures that this new update fixes audio issues with my Sonos ARC. Time will tell.

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Yeah I can also confirm, no 4K YouTube. As I mentioned in a post on a different thread I could see this be a hardware issue with the A10X and hardware encoding. Vs an app update needed bc iOS, iPadOS and macOS all have support on newer devices. At least the ones I am running and I haven't heard anyone running a A10X or older iPad/iPhone running YouTube 4K. Might require new hardware with tvOS 14 to get it. Crossing my figures that this new update fixes audio issues with my Sonos ARC. Time will tell.
I see YouTube 4k running a A12 on retina iPad mini running iPadOS 14 b4 but one would think a A10x is capable of 4K without it being hardware decoding. Its likely the YouTube app, this one is 15.33.4 updated 2 days ago.

The one on tvOS is still 2.04.06 still

Last edited:

morrison22

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
I have an arc, atv4k, and lg cx. What’s the issue you’re having?

wwinter86

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
London
On Apple TV when you hold down the Home button on the pop up menu with the clock and profiles etc the icon for airplay to select a different audio source/speaker now animates/pulses blue.

morrison22

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
How do I get the home icon to appear in the pop up menu. Shouldn’t it be by the airplay menu. Mine is missing the home icon. Why?

gank41

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2008
Strange... my TV is showing up to date on build 18J5354d but the Dev portal is showing the latest build as being 18J5364d

gank41

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2008
Mines is still showing beta 4 as current on both of mine?
Yes, same here. I’ve tried turning off/on beta updates and tried restarting. I’ve got two Apple TV’s having this issue, both on the prior build.

gank41

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2008
Yes, same here. I’ve tried turning off/on beta updates and tried restarting. I’ve got two Apple TV’s having this issue, both on the prior build.

I’m wondering if I somehow got on the public beta instead of the Dev beta? Maybe we’ll see the public beta released today and then we’ll be able to update.

gank41

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2008
Looks like that was it.. I’ve got both of my Apple TV’s on the public beta. I was just able to update.

Joe Kidd

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
Washington State
Please fix the buggy mess that is Apple TV app. Libraries don’t load, ads everywhere, etc.

It’s the worst piece of software Apple ships. Well, except Siri. But Siri is so bad it’s simply forgotten except for setting timers and asking what time it is.
Good luck, I finally threw in the towel on bug fixes in TVos. Like unwatched items list from your computer to appletv that disappears as you scroll to the right. That bug is over a year olds I've reported many times, no response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.