Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming tvOS 14 software update to its public beta testing group, allowing non-developers to try the software ahead of its fall public release. The fifth beta comes two weeks after the release of the fourth beta.

tvOS-14-Public-Beta-Feature-Redux-25.jpg

Public beta testers can download the new update by opening up the Settings app on the Apple TV, navigating to the Software Updates section under "System" and then toggling on "Get Public Beta Updates" after signing up to beta test on Apple's public beta website.

tvOS 14 brings a new Picture in Picture mode so you can watch TV, movies, and videos while using other apps. You can even AirPlay to a Picture in Picture window.

Multiuser gaming support for Apple Arcade lets each tvOS user keep track of game levels, leaderboards, and invitations, and there's now support for the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 and Xbox Adaptive Controller.

A new Home section in Control Center on the Apple TV provides a way for you to control your HomeKit-connected products right on your TV, plus there's an option to view HomeKit camera feeds on the big screen.

You can pick your favorite screensaver family to play rather than having to rely on random choice, and there's now an option to watch YouTube videos in 4K on the 4K Apple TV.

For a complete look at what's new in tvOS 14, make sure to check out our dedicated tvOS 14 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of tvOS 14 to Public Beta Testers

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Downloaded to two devices, as of yesterday the YouTube app was old version, and there was no 4K support like the brand new iOS/iPadOS Youtube app. That is v15.33.4 updated 3 days ago as a FYI. The one on tvOS hasn't changed 2.04.06 last checked, so only 1080P still. Hope Google updates this app.

Last edited:
Reactions: CNiles38006

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
What only two comments? I'm was waiting for the 200+ comments in order to decide to update. :rolleyes:

DMinTX

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I assume only HomeKit compatible cameras are supported for the live camera support, correct?

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Downloaded to two devices, as of yesterday the YouTube app was old version, and there was no 4K support like the brand new iOS/iPadOS Youtube app. That is v15.33.4 updated 3 days ago as a FYI. The one on tvOS hasn't changed 2.04.06 last checked, so only 1080P still. Hope Google updates this app.
I get irritated (first world problem) every time they say 4K is available on the Apple TV- no it's not - I have 4 ATV 4k and none of them have it activated - already removed and re-downloaded the Youtube App - I don't think the issue it's on the Google side since they are continuing to output their V9 codec - looks like its Apple that have to blink and provide support for it.

Attachments

• A94E56C7-EDA2-42B6-B62F-C9B98FAF2CE8.jpeg
    A94E56C7-EDA2-42B6-B62F-C9B98FAF2CE8.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 420

jkmoses

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
Mapleton, Utah
You can definitely tell where Apple makes their money because they don't put much time or effort into the other things. tvOS has so much potential but I feel like they only make meaningful changes every few years. I'm waiting for the "Up Next" thing to get fixed. It's a bit of a mess, tbh. It could be super powerful and like a replacement for On Demand if it worked right and was more organized. I feel like I'm probably the only fan of AppleTV. haha

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I get irritated (first world problem) every time they say 4K is available on the Apple TV- no it's not - I have 4 ATV 4k and none of them have it activated - already removed and re-downloaded the Youtube App - I don't think the issue it's on the Google side since they are continuing to output their V9 codec - looks like its Apple that have to blink and provide support for it.
But that is exactly what occurred with iOS/IpadOS the new version supported Youtube 4K, not the latest beta, but it took until Google updated the app for it to work. We had other examples when the Apple TV 4K first came out where apps didn't supports 4K with HDR playback. In this instance we are now waiting for Google to update the app for 2160P operation.

Reactions: PaulR09

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
Disney+ app no longer locks up when going to Watchlist. Kids now happy.

Hate that they removed the long press of Play button so I can switch to AirPods. Got email from Apple saying it’s not broken, this is now how it functions.

Reactions: 4487549 and 211

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
I'm waiting for the "Up Next" thing to get fixed. It's a bit of a mess, tbh. It could be super powerful and like a replacement for On Demand if it worked right and was more organized. I feel like I'm probably the only fan of AppleTV. haha

I was having issues with Up Next, and doing a restore was the only thing that fixed it. I'm the other fan.

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
I am happy that there is increasingly more support for gaming and Multiuser gaming support. This is effectively turning Apple TV into a mini console, I am hoping for a day when Gaming studios (Epic you are hearing?) realise that and start paying more interest to future than just now. There is way more money to be made than continuing a nonsense dispute. Also I hope AppleTV is able to produce very high graphics quality comparable to consoles and ships with two versions an SSD version and an standard flash storage version. Because high quality games need high quality assets and more storage. Perhaps next version of AppleTV could do something similar to What Playstation 5 is doing with the new SSD. And this move will decisively point to the fact that Apple is serious about gaming and does envision AppleTV to be a console.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I’ve literally never noticed a single change to tvOS since the beginning of tvOS. Same thing every year. “Oh look! They added a clock! Revolutionary”.
So besides stability, nothing stands out for you in this beta (over using tvOS 13)? Asking for a friend who is thinking of trying the beta

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015

LOL, I know right, its so vexing because there is still no 4K quality for Youtube on the Apple TV in the tvOS Betas. On other forums I have seen some saying Google is the one that has to update the Apple TV Youtube App. We have gotten it on the iPhone and Safari browser, so maybe it is Google having to update the Youtube App on Apple TV. So who really knows. Guess we will have to wait for the official release of Big Sur to see, since Apple officially says "Youtube 4K Coming This Fall" on the Apple TV website. Would be nice to have the feature up and running. Its actually the primary reason I purchased my Apple TV 4K recently, after holding off for a while when the feature was officially not available, since I view a lot of Youtube content and tech reviewers kept talking about 4K finally coming to the Youtube App on Apple TV 4K.

Last edited:
Reactions: agsystems

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Used PB5 for a day. Had some wonky WiFi problems where I would switch it off and it would come back on by itself but wouldn't connect to hotspot.
Settings also seemed slow thinking it was going to crash when it gets stuck but didn't.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Nope, still experiencing problems with Files app uploading over hotspot data, used to work in public beta three, also uploading photos to iCloud is really really slow over hotspot.
Wi-Fi switch is still acting wonky and really slow at times, it seems like each iteration of updates makes iOS 14 worse, I guess they're trying to get it to match iOS 13.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I only downloaded a few days ago on one of my TV's and the long press on the Home button doesn't do anything anymore. Is there anyway to go into sleep mode now instead of going into settings? What did I miss?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.