Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming tvOS 17 beta to developers for testing purposes, with the update coming two weeks after Apple introduced the fourth beta.

apple-tv-4k-yellow-bg-feature.jpg

Registered developers are able to download the tvOS 17 update by opting in to the beta through the Settings app on the Apple TV. A registered developer account is required.

tvOS updates don't typically garner as much attention as updates to iOS and macOS, and are never as feature rich, but tvOS 17 brings FaceTime to the TV for the first time. The Apple TV 4K can connect to an iPhone or iPad that serves as the camera, with the FaceTime interface showing up on the TV's screen.

All of the FaceTime features are available, including Center Stage to keep you front and center, plus there are new gesture-based reactions that let you use your hands to generate on-screen effects. For example, if you make a heart with your hands, the screen will display hearts.

Split View for Apple TV lets users watch television with friends and family using SharePlay, and there are controls for transferring calls between the TV and an iPhone or iPad as needed. Third-party apps like Zoom will also be able to take advantage of this functionality, so those apps will also work on the TV screen.

Control Center on Apple TV has been revamped and it is easier for users to access key settings and information, plus there is a new feature that allows the iPhone to locate a Siri Remote that's been misplaced.

tvOS also features a range of new aerial screen savers, adds support for third-party VPN apps, introduces Dolby Vision 8.1 on compatible devices, and more. Details can be found in our Apple TV roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of tvOS 17 to Developers

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

danlat1415

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
Since updating to Beta 4, I've noticed that apps no longer have the option for a custom logo/button on the Home screen.

Both Plex and Infuse both had options within the app to change the colour/picture for the home screen logo from the app's pre-defined list of options.
Since updating to Beta 4, my previous changes have reverted back to the app's default logos and now the options are no longer there in either app

Has anyone else noticed this?
Neither app has been updated themselves, just the system update has changed.

Worked fine on Developer Beta 3 and public Beta
But this feature appears to have been removed (hopefully temporarily) in Developer Beta 4.

it’s ALL apps that allow custom icons, such as Infuse and Plex

I can confirm this this feature is still missing from Developer Build 5

It is looking like this feature may have been permanently removed

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
how many of these new features will require a new device not yet released? Hmmm
They never announce a new feature that would be limited to an unannounced device without first announcing the new device. That being said, it is not unusual for them to announce a new feature and then restrict that feature to newer devices.

daniesy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
Have any of you experienced not being able to turn off the TV after beta 5? The Apple TV will automatically turn on 5 seconds after I set it to sleep.

danlat1415

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
Have any of you experienced not being able to turn off the TV after beta 5? The Apple TV will automatically turn on 5 seconds after I set it to sleep.
I had this when first got Beta 4.
A full power cycle fixed it for me (turn off Apple TV and all connected devices/TV etc off at the mains, wait a few minutes and load back up).

I didn't know if it was the Apple turning itself on, or a CEC glitch with something else turning it on.
Turning everything off at the mains and bottling everything up from scratch solved it for me

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

danlat1415

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
Anyone else not seeing the beta? I can’t get mine to see it, same with my iPad
Go into updates and change beta updates to NO.
Then go back in and change to YES.
You then get option to choose Developer Beta or Public Beta.

Public Beta not yet updated, so change to Developer Beta and you should get it

An FYI - you can constantly switch between public beta and developer beta as each one gets released (usually a week apart)

swrobel

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2014
Anyone else having bluetooth connectivity issues with this beta? I am specifically with my Harmony Keyboard device (for a Harmony universal remote)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.