Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming watchOS 3.1.1 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after seeding the fourth watchOS 3.1.1 beta and more than a month after releasing watchOS 3.1, the first update to the watchOS 3 operating system.

watchOS 3.1.1 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. watchOS 3.1.1 requires an iPhone running iOS 10 to install.

watch-3.1.1-Beta--800x500.jpg

As a minor 3.1.x update, watchOS 3.1.1 seems to focus on under-the-hood bug fixes and performance improvements, with no outward-facing changes discovered in the first four watchOS 3.1.1 betas. We'll update this post should any new features be discovered in the fifth watchOS 3.1.1 beta.

watchOS 3 completely overhauls the interface on the Apple Watch, introducing a dedicated app dock, instant launch apps, new watch faces, and new complication options. There are new Activity sharing features, a "Breathe" app guides users through deep breathing sessions to cut down on stress, and an SOS feature can automatically call emergency service.

For more details on what's new in watchOS 3, make sure to check out our watchOS 3 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of watchOS 3.1.1 to Developers

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm on Series 0. While it's been a massive improvement, I've gotten spoiled used to it and now Siri response times seem to have become unacceptable.

While I don't expect hardware to perform better than its limitations, Siri response times vary greatly, which demonstrates that it can be done faster, it's just not getting the consistent CPU priority that it needs.

Apple Watch is above all a Siri device so just like how touch UI is given ultimate response priority on iOS devices to mimic touching physical buttons, so should Siri on watchOS. Raise wrist, be ready to accept speech. Defer all other CPU processes for when the wrist is down.

I hope that they fix the remaining kinks in these maintenance updates. I'll be ready for a Series 3 when it arrives.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
Fix my piece of **** series zero, Apple! It's total crap since 3.0.

I'm returning it dec 26 if you do not (extended warranty). This is your last warning.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Still thinking Apple could now add the watch and TV to a late phase public beta program.

Until the watch has a way to be DFU restored its not going to be a part of any public betas, currently if something goes wrong you have to ship it back to apple.

The appleTV is easier to restore but you still need a USB-C cable to connect it to a computer which may not be something everyone has.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
I have the S0 and watchos2 was AMAZING for the performance. WatchOS3 has been the opposite :( anyone know if these 3.x.x update do anything for performance? I dont expect a miracle but anything would be great.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have the S0 and watchos2 was AMAZING for the performance. WatchOS3 has been the opposite :( anyone know if these 3.x.x update do anything for performance? I dont expect a miracle but anything would be great.

How? watchOS 3 introduced the dock and instant on apps. If anything, it's the first usable OS. I could not go back to 2.0.

What I do notice is that Siri response times can be better. But it was even worse in 2.0.

I'm fairly sure we're now hitting on the limitations of the series 0 CPU and on memory.

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
How? watchOS 3 introduced the dock and instant on apps. If anything, it's the first usable OS. I could not go back to 2.0.

What I do notice is that Siri response times can be better. But it was even worse in 2.0.

I'm fairly sure we're now hitting on the limitations of the series 0 CPU and on memory.
What makes you think that? All the watch does is record it, bluetooth it to your phone which uses data to upload it to the cloud for recognition. It uses no sizeable amount of ressources on the watch. The reason for slow responses is usually bad bluetooth to your phone or slow data connection to the internet.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I actually got 44 hours out of my watch the other day. And I had 13% left when I put it on the dock.

On 3.0 I'd barely make it 12 hours!
My experience also. I'm at 30% after seven hours of WEARING it, not even USING IT!

Yeah, I'm pissed.

I don't run third party apps. I send and receive messages and use the workout app. I use the timer.

My watch sucks, now. I paid a ton for it to get the space black with the link band and now it's crap.

Yeah, I'm pissed.

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
My experience also. I'm at 30% after seven hours of WEARING it, not even USING IT!

Yeah, I'm pissed.

I don't run third party apps. I send and receive messages and use the workout app. I use the timer.

My watch sucks, now. I paid a ton for it to get the space black with the link band and now it's crap.

Yeah, I'm pissed.

Wait even after 3.1? Series 2?

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I have to update:

After installing WatchOS3.1.1 on my SB Series 0 and using it for a few weeks, I am happy and relieved to report that most if not all of my glitchy problems introduced with WatchOS3.0.0 are gone.

The watch no longer gives a "Message not sent" error after sending a message from the watch, such as a "Siri, tell my wife I am going to the gym".

The battery life is back to nearly lasting the entire day without a charge. I'm getting good workouts in and the life is not dropping after the workout is complete the same as if I was running one.

The heart rate app does not fail to read my heart rate.

Workouts (the little green guy) and the green LEDs do not stay on for minutes after ending a workout.

I am now afraid to update to any new OSes for fear it will break again.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
Wait have they re-released 3.1.1?
No. I installed it when it was first released because my watch was such crap nothing could have made it worse. Nothing.

Even after hearing it bricked some Series 2 watches, it didn't matter.

It worked for my Series 0 and I am happy again. I will probably not update my watch ever again, no matter what new features become available because I just don't use them.

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
No. I installed it when it was first released because my watch was such crap nothing could have made it worse. Nothing.

Even after hearing it bricked some Series 2 watches, it didn't matter.

It worked for my Series 0 and I am happy again. I will probably not update my watch ever again, no matter what new features become available because I just don't use them.

Whatever comes next you know it will render your watch so slow and useless. I'd go no further.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
No kidding. At least, with my Macs, I can restore a backup. With the watch (and all iOS devices), if Apple issues a crippling update, unintentional or not, you're screwed.

I'll be watching the WatchOS update reviews very carefully. More than likely, I'll leave it where it is unless updates specifically not improved battery life (the last functionality not as fully fixed as the other issues).

The thing that really grinds my gears is that my wife and I appeared to be the only ones with this problem after updating to WatchOS3. Everyone else said it was great and said I was stupid and screwed something up. F*ck them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.