Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of watchOS 4.3 to Developers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming watchOS 4.3 update to developers, one week after seeding the fourth beta and a three weeks after releasing watchOS 4.2.3, a minor update focusing on bug fixes.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

[​IMG]

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it has to be placed on the charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone it's paired to.

watchOS 4.3 introduces support for Nightstand mode in portrait orientation, a feature that was previously only available when the watch was placed in landscape orientation. There's also a new charging animation when the Apple Watch is placed on the charger, a new app loading animation, your Activity data is now displayed on the Siri watch face, and the battery complication more accurately reports battery life.

The watchOS 4.3 update also brings the return of a much-desired feature that allows music playing on the iPhone to be controlled using the Music app on the Apple Watch.

In prior versions of watchOS, starting with watchOS 4, the Music app could only be used to control music playing on the watch itself. With the tvOS 11.3 beta installed, there's also an option to control music playing on the Apple TV with the watch.

Apple plans to release watchOS 4.3 to the public in the spring, and until then, it will be limited to developers. Apple offers public betas of tvOS, iOS, and macOS, but watchOS betas are not available for public beta testers because there's no way to revert to an earlier version of watchOS once an update is installed.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of watchOS 4.3 to Developers

2. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

3. Rickjames74 macrumors member

Rickjames74

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

I’ve always been a bit confused on this bold statement. In range is determined with blueooth or Wi-Fi or both? Should it only be within Blueooth Range I pray Apple fixes this to use an ad-hoc Wi-Fi connection in future updates.

5. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

The update text I've seen in the Watch app has always specifically mentioned the watch needs to be on a wifi network.

6. csurfr macrumors 65816

I wonder if this will fix the charging bug that is affecting some of us. Perhaps we’ll know for sure it’s a bug and not hardware related.

7. xpxp2002 macrumors regular

Which, in my experience, means Wi-Fi through iPhone over Bluetooth also counts. For a while, I had my iPhone on a 5GHz only network, but Watch updates still downloaded and installed.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

9. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Better yet, it’s gone entirely. You can no longer select iPhone music and play from watch in this beta.

10. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

[QUOTE="MacRumors, post: 25888437, member: 3]
    The watchOS 4.3 update also brings the return of a much-desired feature that allows music playing on the iPhone to be controlled using the Music app on the Apple Watch.

In prior versions of watchOS, starting with watchOS 4, the Music app could only be used to control music playing on the watch itself. With the tvOS 11.3 beta installed, there's also an option to control music playing on the Apple TV with the watch.
    [/QUOTE]
    This is not entirely accurate. You can already control music playing on an iPhone with Watch OS versions prior to 4.3.

What 4.3 purportedly restores is the ability to select from and begin playing music from an iPhone. That is currently not possible.

Eh. Sorry the snipped quote is borked. But you get the idea.

11. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

will Spotify make an app already... I believe Apple has opened up the API a little bit more.

12. Rickjames74 macrumors member

Rickjames74

Works on mine

13. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Ok it now works on me as well.....