Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of watchOS 5.1 to Developers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming watchOS 5.1 update to developers, one week after seeding the fourth watchOS 5.1 beta and more than a month after releasing the new watchOS 5 operating system.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

[​IMG]

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 5.1 includes support for the Group FaceTime feature that's also available in iOS 12.1 and macOS 10.14.1, with Group FaceTime calls able to be answered in an audio-only capacity on the Apple Watch. Group FaceTime allows you to chat with up to 32 people at one time.

The watchOS 5.1 update brings a full-screen new "Color" watch face option for the new Apple Watch Series 4 models, with users able to choose between dozens of shades. There's also a filled-in circular color option for older Apple Watch models that joins the standard Color clock face.

[​IMG]

Alongside macOS 10.14.1 and iOS 12.1, watchOS 5.1 introduces support for more than 70 new emoji characters like face with hearts, red hair, gray hair, curly hair, super heroes, kangaroo, peacock, parrot, lobster, cupcake, mango, and more.

For additional details on watchOS 5 and what was introduced in the new software, make sure to check out our watchOS 5 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of watchOS 5.1 to Developers

2. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

But does it have a messages complication for the infograph face?

3. Akrapovic macrumors regular

Akrapovic

It'd be nice if the older watches could have a full screen color (like the S4 has) but just round the corners off so it's not a square. Software radius on them.

4. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

I suppose you could do that yourself with the Photos watch face? But yeah the exclusivity of full screen faces is a bit pointedly lazy and not entirely justified

5. dingle19 macrumors member

SERIOUSLY! I've been baffled as to why that complication was omitted from the most overly "complicated" watch face ever.

6. Akrapovic macrumors regular

Akrapovic

Excuse my ignorance as I haven't used the photo face. Does that support analogue hands? Or is it digital only? I really should explore some of the more unusual options in the watch app.

7. menace3 macrumors 6502a

menace3

Hell I purchased the Nike versiona nd I cannot not even place the Nike complication on the Infograph. Beyond ridiculous. Oh well, just go the extra step and open after scrolling the apps

8. markgpearse, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018

markgpearse macrumors regular

9. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

The photos face is digital. To do what you'd want would require some photoshop experience but it really wouldnt be very hard to create a custom image

10. TheOtherJFK macrumors newbie

I was hoping WatchOS 5.1 would have the EKG app. Guess not..

11. dingle19 macrumors member

hoping the next WWDC will introduce the Watch OS SDK open API for devs. We need some more creative and app-specific watch integration

12. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

Guessing Apple can turn this on at anytime...

13. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Things that are urgently missing from watch OS at this point:
    -AirPlay control support for Siri “play music in the living room”
    -Some system complications on the new watchfaces like messages, maps or remote app. Why on earth did they forget to implement these BASIC complications on the new watch faces?

14. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

Most likely these apps are managed by different teams, and those teams had no idea of the changes until they were announced, Apple keeps things a secret even internally. I don't see these getting added until 5.2 or later...

15. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Unbelievable if this was what’s been going on. I mean cmon, those are basic functions. I guess the same goes for the team that manages Siri and the team that manages airplay, and the team that manages HomeKit- the fact that it’s not possible to automate certain airplay speakers through home or the watch- aaaaargh!

16. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

Apple has been treating the watch like the step child of the lineup.. it's like, they say it has all of these great features and then the watch does not ship with its biggest feature.. and no messages app on most of the new watch faces? If this thing didn't have a bigger screen it would be a harder sale over the S3 because it might be a little faster; but half of the features that were promised do not even work yet and you can't even check messages (something the S3 can do from any face you want) from the watch face.

17. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

What features don't work then, the only one for me is ECG and let's not get it twisted here, the Messages complication is not available on the 2 Infograph faces, 2 faces..not most.

18. ELman macrumors member

The Podcast complication would be nice also.

19. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

Agreed. That was a major reason why I upgraded to the Series 4. Hopefully that feature will be enabled soon.

20. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

I wish it was possible to download podcasts and play through the apple watch speaker. It would be useful as I could play a podcast before I fall asleep.