Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 11 update to its public beta testing group, marking the first time public beta testers have had access to tvOS betas. Previously, public betas were limited to iOS and macOS software likely due to the slightly more complicated tvOS beta installation process, but now public beta testers can access all software platforms with the exception of watchOS.

The first beta of tvOS 11 available to public beta testers corresponds with the second tvOS 11 update made available to developers. Developers have had access to tvOS 11 since June 5, when Apple introduced new versions of tvOS, iOS, macOS, and watchOS at WWDC.

tvos-11-beta-800x500.jpg

tvOS 11 can be downloaded by connecting an Apple TV to a computer with a USB-C cable and installing the beta software using iTunes. After the proper profile is added to the Apple TV, subsequent betas will be available over-the-air.

Compared to iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, and watchOS 4, tvOS 11 is a relatively minor update that brings few changes to the tvOS operating system. In fact, it received no time on stage at the Worldwide Developers Conference aside from a mention of an Amazon Prime Video app coming to the Apple TV this fall.

According to Apple's release notes, tvOS 11 introduces automatic light/dark appearance switching based on local time, Home screen syncing options for syncing content between two or more Apple TVs in a household, new background modes and notification support, plus new tools for developers and improvements to Mobile Device Management.

Additional tvOS 11 features may be unveiled ahead of the operating system's public release, which is expected in the fall alongside other software updates.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 11 to Public Beta Testers

takasugi

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
No cable required for developer betas either. There's a trick to use dropbox and enter a URL into your Apple TV to grab the config file.

The article says a USB-C cable is required...just pointing out that it not necessary and the Dropbox workaround is not needed for the public beta.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
The article says a USB-C cable is required...just pointing out that it not necessary and the Dropbox workaround is not needed for the public beta.
I realize what you were doing. Was just pointing out that it's a neat trick for those who don't know.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I'm thinking there will be more to tvOS this fall, and I'm thinking there will be new hardware. With all the h265 talk and them saying lots more on Apple TV later this year, I'm thinking a hardware refresh is coming with new features. I'm hoping it's like a "HomePod Dot" with built in mics.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Just an FYI - DirecTV Now was quiting on launch in earlier betas. I don't think the issue has been fixed so if you use DTV Now something to consider before dipping your toe in here.
I have been on dev beta 2 (where DirecTV Now has not been working). It just installed a new update...no idea what it is. It’s still not working with this app. FYI.

andsoitgoes

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I needed to logout with my apple ID and then login in order to make it work.

This worked for me, thanks for the tip! I tried restarting, and even signing out of iCloud. It didn’t show up until I logged out/in of my App Store account.

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
California
A little off topic here but any signs of Apple TV 5 within tvOS 11's code?

Edit: Spelling :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kpeex

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
VBVA
This worked for me, thanks for the tip! I tried restarting, and even signing out of iCloud. It didn’t show up until I logged out/in of my App Store account.
I must be doing something wrong with DirecTV Now. :(

I tried 'all of the above', I think. Logout and back in to AppStore and iCloud with AppleID, Restart :apple:tv 4, haven't done a reset. DirecTV Now app starts with appropriate/current program channel card and quits. Any other suggestions, staying with the beta?

I went into tvOS 11 eyes wide open. It's not a big deal. I only have four days left of the DTV Now prepaid 3-month trial for a "free" :apple:tv. It's been a good deal for me, no matter what. I don't watch much and there is plenty of content available.

Thanks!

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Just an FYI - DirecTV Now was quiting on launch in earlier betas. I don't think the issue has been fixed so if you use DTV Now something to consider before dipping your toe in here.

I have been on dev beta 2 (where DirecTV Now has not been working). It just installed a new update...no idea what it is. It’s still not working with this app. FYI.

Thanks for the heads up. That's a non-starter for me. Which sucks, because that would mean I could finally set my bedroom ATV up to match the living room (aside from me just being lazy).

Reactions: SkankHunt42

LestâtMayfair

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2016
Did anyone experience Apple TV going haywire make selections and doing things autonmously as if it’s been hacked and being controlled by a third party? Mine was bonkers last night, couldn’t use it!

SkankHunt42

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
Don't bother updating. There are bugs (esp. when scrolling through video) and DirecTV Now does not work. Considering the lack of new features that TVOS 11 offers, keep your stable build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.