Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 13.3 Update to Public Beta Testers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 13.3 update to its public beta testing group, one day after seeding the first beta to developers and one week after releasing the tvOS 13.2 update.

Public beta testers can download the new update by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section under "System." "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the ?Apple TV? will download the beta software.

Those who want to beta test the software can sign up to do so on Apple's beta testing website.

tvOS updates (aside from major releases) have historically been minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes.

Apple provides little to no information on what's included in tvOS beta updates, so we may not discover any major changes after installing the software. There were no significant updates found in yesterday's tvOS 13.3 beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 13.3 Update to Public Beta Testers

MandiMac

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
Now we just need an updated Apple TV that isn’t over 2 years old
I second this. I was banking on November because of the launches of Arcade and TV+.
Seems like we're in for a March 2020 update that could go hand in hand with an A13X iPad, maybe the same proc for the new Apple TV?

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
They should just make a seperate AppleTV+ app or make it a seperate app not linked to tvOS/iOS/macOS updates.

A13X in the new next AppleTV 4K... take my money now.. would solve the sometimes horrible performance of Arcade games... plus please add VP9 and Youtube HDR.

Reactions: aypues

Ar40

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
Do you mean the Up Next upper third has been restored (replacing the ads for paid content) ????
Yes indeed! It’s now an option in the TV app settings. You can choose top shelf or ads - easy choice for me!
- - Post merged: - -

I’m not sure why MacRumors is sleeping on this massive change. It warrants a front page update, IMO.

mackya99

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2019
Yes indeed! It’s now an option in the TV app settings. You can choose top shelf or ads - easy choice for me!

I’m not sure why MacRumors is sleeping on this massive change. It warrants a front page update, IMO.
Where in the settings is this? I went thru all the settings last night after I updated, and I could not find it.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Now we just need an updated Apple TV that isn’t over 2 years old
What does the current one not do that you want? Legit curious.

Top Shelf is back and it feels so good. Def. not a "yawn" update for me.
I wouldn’t normally run a beta on my Apple TV but this was a huge relief. Utterly sick of that lame banner ad taking up half my home screen.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
What does the current one not do that you want? Legit curious.

I wouldn’t normally run a beta on my Apple TV but this was a huge relief. Utterly sick of that lame banner ad taking up half my home screen.
I would like to see a Gaming Focus for Apple TV. It would have more memory and enough CPU and GPU to start to close the gap on other gaming machines as XBOX and PS. And attract better gaming options. I find it easy to fill up 64gb. I understand it can remove downloaded content and continue to download over and over games and content already downloaded but that is not very efficient. No reason to not have memory options at least like what you can get on the iPad.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
I would like to see a Gaming Focus for Apple TV. It would have more memory and enough CPU and GPU to start to close the gap on other gaming machines as XBOX and PS. And attract better gaming options. I find it easy to fill up 64gb. I understand it can remove downloaded content and continue to download over and over games and content already downloaded but that is not very efficient. No reason to not have memory options at least like what you can get on the iPad.
Sounds expensive. I guess I could see an "Apple TV Pro" second tier of device or whatever. Maybe that's where they're heading with the whole Arcade thing. As long as there's a normal tier of Apple TV device, why not?

I wouldn't want to pay extra for graphics horsepower I wouldn't use, though, particularly since I have a PS4 and a few hundred dollars worth of games for it sitting here already. And I suspect most gaming enthusiasts have a gaming console and/or a gaming PC already.

Last edited:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Sounds expensive. I guess if there was an "Apple TV Pro" or whatever I wouldn't care. I guess I could see a two-tier Apple TV hardware situation.

But I wouldn't want to pay extra for graphics horsepower I wouldn't use, particularly since I have a PS4 and a few hundred dollars worth of games for it sitting here already. And I suspect most gaming enthusiasts have a gaming console and/or a gaming PC already...
Exactly. Apple should offer multiple at the "I only stream" to compete with many other offers like ROKU and FIRE TV etc. They are close to over priced now. Like the Apple TV 4K 32GB would be fine for those and maybe you. Also, maybe a USB version as well. I.E. Go for the Apple TV+ people. I have 8 Apple TV's now and most of them are 4K tied to each TV that is 4K. But I would put in a high end Apple TV 5G (G = Gaming) on two of my TV's. My 7 year old grandson loves gaming and I his Dad has a XBOX at their house but for my usage I would prefer a Apple TV Solution for when he is here. They also have Apple TV's but they feel the gaming is just not good enough but they like the integration. The new Arcade is helpful because the games before that with all of the IN APP PURCHASE CRAP was pretty bad.