Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 13 software update to its public beta testing group, giving non-developers a chance to try out the new software ahead of its fall public release. The first beta of tvOS 13 corresponds to the second tvOS 13 update made available to developers last week.

Public beta testers can download the new update by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section under "System." "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the Apple TV will download the beta software.

tvos13-800x490.jpg

Those who want to beta test the software can sign up to do so on Apple's beta testing website.

tvOS 13 includes a new Home screen that's aimed at making it easier to find new content, with support for autoplaying videos to show off new TV shows, movies, and apps, similar to Netflix.

Multi-user support is new in tvOS 13, letting each member of the family have their own customized Apple TV interface with separate recommendations, music playlists, and Watch Now lists. A new Control Center lets you swap between profiles.

tvOS 13 gets the Apple TV ready for Apple Arcade, Apple's new gaming service that's coming to the Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS later this year. Apple Arcade will offer unlimited access to more than 100 new and exclusive games, for one subscription fee.

Apple Arcade preparations include support for the Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Controller and the PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller, both of which can be connected to an Apple TV over Bluetooth.

Apple is also adding new under-the-sea themed screensavers made in partnership with the BBC Natural History unit, also known for "Blue Planet," and the new software brings support for a picture-in-picture mode that lets you watch TV while doing other things on the Apple TV.

For more on what's new in tvOS 13, make sure to check out our tvOS 13 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 13 to Public Beta Testers

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
do not install this on Apple TV 4K as it almost impossible to revert back to TVos 12.
Did you try it and found out it caused problems with some of your Apps? That would be helpful to others that plan to try it. I have 8 ATV's and plan to install on one of them to see how it goes. The last beta did not cause any problems with any of my Apps.

freddiebarnes

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2018
Just installed it on my Apple TV (5th Gen) and testing out some apps I have on and everything seems to be working ok and stable so far. There’s a new preinstalled app called Arcade, just like in the iOS App Store. Not sure what else is new just yet.

Edit: I hope running TvOS 13 and iOS 13 will help fix the issue I keep having with the tv remote that’s in control center. It would never connect to the TV, I would have to unplug the Apple TV and plug it back in to get the remote to sync up.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Did you try it and found out it caused problems with some of your Apps? That would be helpful to others that plan to try it. I have 8 ATV's and plan to install on one of them to see how it goes. The last beta did not cause any problems with any of my Apps.

I only use a handful of apps (mostly video streaming apps), and no major issues on my end.

I do hate that Apple's promoting video content on the banner at the top of the UI instead of content you're viewing, requiring you to open the TV app to get to the next episode of your Up Next list, but that's apparently a design choice, not a bug.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Just installed it on my Apple TV (5th Gen) and testing out some apps I have on and everything seems to be working ok and stable so far. There’s a new preinstalled app called Arcade, just like in the iOS App Store. Not sure what else is new just yet.

Edit: I hope running TvOS 13 and iOS 13 will help fix the issue I keep having with the tv remote that’s in control center. It would never connect to the TV, I would have to unplug the Apple TV and plug it back in to get the remote to sync up.
Is the Arcade the New Arcade Service coming in the fall? Does it do much? If so, does the multiuser support work with it?

Reactions: freddiebarnes

acinm

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Good luck if you decide to install this on an Apple TV 4K. I installed beta 1 on a secondary development device, which is now bricked with a yellow triangle and a restore message. With Apple's removal of the USB-C port and no network connectivity in this restore state, I can't do anything to fix it. And yes, I've tried Xcode and Configurator, as well as forced power recycles.

I'm a registered developer and after reaching out through their developer channels and then Apple retail, Apple's only offer has been that I pay $150 for a new Apple TV.

Last edited:

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Good luck if you decide to install this on an Apple TV 4K. I installed beta 1 on a secondary development device, which is now bricked with a yellow triangle and a restore message. With Apple's removal of the USB-C port and no network connectivity in this restore state, I can't do anything to fix it. And yes, I've tried Xcode and Configurator, as well as forced power recycles.

I'm a registered developer and after reaching out through their developer channels and then Apple retail, Apple's only offer has been that I pay $150 for a new Apple TV.

Exact can’t thing happened here. Had to bring it in and they swapped it out for a brand new unit. I’m outside of warranty window by the way.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL

Has Beta 2 (ie Public Beta) fixed this issue? Haven't seen many reports of "bricking" the unit with these updates, especially Public Betas.

acinm

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Has Beta 2 (ie Public Beta) fixed this issue? Haven't seen many reports of "bricking" the unit with these updates, especially Public Betas.

Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing since I can't update the device. And I can't tell you if Apple has fixed this specific issue, since I'm not sure if they're even aware of it-- they haven't shown interest in looking at my device to investigate the cause. Beta 2 just came out, but I've seen at least five other instances of people having the same issues with unspecified iOS 13 betas. :(

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Are the new screensavers (underwater) in this beta? I can't find them, and I am bored of all the ugly cities of which there seems unlimited supply.

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
noob question, how do I get out of the public beta into the GM build when it's released in fall? Thanks!

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Question for anyone that has DirecTV NOW...does it work? I do not want to install this and have my main source of entertainment not work.

Thank you!

:apple:

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
Are the new screensavers (underwater) in this beta? I can't find them, and I am bored of all the ugly cities of which there seems unlimited supply.

I just updated and now i see a new screensaver called calipso by jacques cousteau no idea what does it means i was able to see it only once and it was about fish

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.