Apple Seeds First Beta of Upcoming tvOS 12.2 Update to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 12.2 update to developers for testing purposes, two days after releasing the tvOS 12.1.2 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 12.2 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvOS updates have historically been minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. Apple provides little to no information on what's included in tvOS updates, so we may not discover anything new after installing the new beta.

While we don't know what's new in tvOS updates most of the time, we share when new software is available so developers are able to download it upon release.

Should we discover notable changes in the tvOS 12.2 beta, we'll update this post with details.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of Upcoming tvOS 12.2 Update to Developers

Coryincali

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
Has any had problems with TVOS 12.1.x not allowing audio with Amazon Video and Starz, and any other apps? I have noticed that these two apps provide video, but not audio. Other apps work good. I have performed several troubleshooting steps, but no success.

I am hoping Apple will decide to back away from this overlord attempt to control all things. Allow audio passthrough for those of us that have very expensive audio Dolby, DTS and Atmos systems. It seems Apple's attitude of inserting themselves into the audio stream of all apps may be causing problems.

Last edited:

Danilo - Italy

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Apple TV 4K is the only Apple product that give me a lot of WiFi problems. Sometime the WiFi connection is lost, sometime the WiFi speed slow in a dramatically way. I REALLY hope that this problems can be fix with un update.

FNH15

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Has any had problems with TVOS 12.1.x not allowing audio with Amazon Video and Starz, and any other apps? I have noticed that these two apps provide video, but not audio. Other apps work good. I have performed several troubleshooting steps, but no success.

I am hoping Apple will decide to back away from this overlord attempt to control all things. Allow audio passthrough for those of us that have very expensive audio Dolby, DTS and Atmos systems. It seems Apple's attitude of inserting themselves into the audio stream of all apps may be causing problems.
I don't have the Starz app but do use Amazon Prime Video regularly with no problems, ditto the litany of other streaming apps I have on the box. Mine is hooked up to a Marantz SR7007 and it outputs audio through Dolby DTS just fine...

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Apple TV 4K is the only Apple product that give me a lot of WiFi problems. Sometime the WiFi connection is lost, sometime the WiFi speed slow in a dramatically way. I REALLY hope that this problems can be fix with un update.
I had serious networking issues with mine too. Now that I've updated to tvOS 12.1.2 it seems to have alleviated all of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.