Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 10.1 update to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming a day after the launch of watchOS 10.

Apple-Watch-Faces-watchOS-10-Feature-Blue.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 10‌ update, developers will need to open the Apple Watch app, go to the Software Update section under "General" in Settings, and toggle on the ‌watchOS 10‌ Developer Beta. An Apple ID linked to a developer account is required.

Once beta updates have been activated, ‌watchOS 10‌ can be downloaded under the same Software Update section. To install software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life and it must be placed on an Apple Watch charger.

There's no word yet on what might be included in watchOS 10.1, but we'll update this article if and when we find out what's new.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 10.1 to Developers

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Me too.. I just installed 10.1 beta 1, but I still don't see it. I'm wondering if there's some missing onboarding step that has to happen before it starts working?
Did you look through settings? I'd be surprised if it's not there somewhere!

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Was this announced? Would love to see something like this!
Unfortunately no. But I figure if enough of us talk about it and suggest it to Apple through their channels, maybe they will add it at some point.

I think anyone who uses the workout apps would find this useful to extremely useful.

Seems like a no-brainer, but what do I know 🧠

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Hope it fixes playing downloaded podcasts from the watch , rather than defaulting from the phone.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Unfortunately no. But I figure if enough of us talk about it and suggest it to Apple through their channels, maybe they will add it at some point.

I think anyone who uses the workout apps would find this useful to extremely useful.

Seems like a no-brainer, but what do I know 🧠
Yeah, it would be nice.

They've slowly made the running workout better over time. It is good enough now that I'm not considering switching to Garmin any more.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I’d love to see this update return the Control Center to where it belongs and re-add a Dock in some workable form (the slippery recent apps list you get when double-clicking the Crown is not the same thing, and you shouldn’t have to double-click anything to get to most-used apps).

One thing that would help considerably if Apple is really glued to widgets would be to allow the current three-favorites widget to be expandable to 6 or 9 favorites. Even so, widgets should be under the side button, and the Control Center should be a swipe-up gesture.

It would also be nice to have the swipe-to-change-faces feature back.

PeterPanana

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Does the Watch Series 9 need a specific charger it has to be on to install the update? I put it on my charger from my Series 6, and it won't let me install the beta. My watch's battery is at 80% and on my phone it keeps telling me "Apple Watch must be connected to its charger..."

Update: I found that if I went to the Settings app on the watch and looked for the update, I could initiate the Install. But for some reason I couldn't initiate it on my phone, and it kept telling me it wasn't on a charger.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I wish Apple would move the end workout button back to where it was. And add an option to not ask every time I want to end my workout. Now In my workout I hit the segment first (because the end button moved), then the end button then yes I’m sure, then close the work out window.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
I wish Apple would move the end workout button back to where it was. And add an option to not ask every time I want to end my workout. Now In my workout I hit the segment first (because the end button moved), then the end button then yes I’m sure, then close the work out window.
It is really annoying!

Basically three taps to get out of it.

At least we don't have to scroll down to the bottom though to get out of the data results screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.