Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 10.5 update to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming a month after the release of watchOS 10.4.

Apple-Watch-Faces-watchOS-10-Feature-Blue.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 10.5 update, developers need to open the Apple Watch app, go to the Software Update section under "General" in Settings, and toggle on the watchOS 10 Developer Beta. An Apple ID linked to a developer account is required.

Once beta updates have been activated, watchOS 10.5 can be downloaded under the same Software Update section. To install software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life and it must be placed on an Apple Watch charger.

We don't yet know what's included in watchOS 10.5, but should anything new be found, we'll update this article.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 10.5 to Developers

F-B-Z

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
Germany
Since there seem to be no new functions, I assume the release's focus was primarily on its snappishness.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Since there seem to be no new functions, I assume the release's focus was primarily on its snappishness.
I sure hope so… its performance on series 4 is atrocious compaered to watch OS9.

A suspicious person could think it was done on purpose to make an upgrade more appealing.

The difference i seen between watch OS 9 and 10 is night and day. The watch actually heats up doing basic tasks whichi never had previously.

ozerobaykal

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2024
I sure hope so… its performance on series 4 is atrocious compaered to watch OS9.

A suspicious person could think it was done on purpose to make an upgrade more appealing.

The difference i seen between watch OS 9 and 10 is night and day. The watch actually heats up doing basic tasks whichi never had previously.
You're using a watch that:
  • was released 5 years ago;
  • discontinued 4 years ago;
  • runs both a slower processor (Cortex-A53, 1590MHz v. Apple 'Thunder', 1800MHz);
  • and less capable RAM (LPDDR3 v. LPDDR4x);
  • was last in line for WatchOS 9 support;
  • again last in line for WatchOS 10 support, despite it being the most significant overhaul of the OS since its introduction;
And your first instinct is that this must be because Apple wants more money from you.

Okay, sure.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
  • runs both a slower processor (Cortex-A53, 1590MHz v. Apple 'Thunder', 1800MHz);
  • again last in line for WatchOS 10 support, despite it being the most significant overhaul of the OS since its introduction;
And your first instinct is that this must be because Apple wants more money from you.

Okay, sure.
I am planning an upgrade and recycling the watch at Apple...

But

It ran Watch OS 9 perfectly... including runtime... is it really that bad to voice that one of the last updates it gets, actually cripples it somewhat. After 5 years of perfect performance, and a battery that is in remarkably good shape (85%)

Are we really at a point where we can't expect a smart watch to last 5 years? Apple still actually offer battery service on this model!

Think about the environmentals on this? Most consumers expect watches to last... and Apple could have said, you know what, watch OS 10 runs like dog @£%$ on series 4... lets release it only for series 5 and above.

So you dismiss sereies 4, but Apple must know there is a significant number of series 4 about... as they still developed the OS for it... and series 4 and the few models above it dont actually have much in difference in terms of performance.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015

Okay, sure.
Im certain Apple wants more money from me... they are a business, not a charity.

Apple have done this to several devices in the past... allowed them to run software that clearly does not perform well, while not allowing other capable devices run the latest versions (especially Mac OS).

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Hopefully it fixes the bugs causing fast battery drain. Terribly annoying.
The bugs often drain the battery.... they get inside and unplug it at the bottom..... then all the battery drains out.

Thats why bugs often cause battery drain issues... I think they like the electrolyte. The sooner we switch over to solid state electrolyte the better... Id like to see them drain those batteries.

Reactions: F-B-Z

Kaos22

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
The bugs often drain the battery.... they get inside and unplug it at the bottom..... then all the battery drains out.

Thats why bugs often cause battery drain issues... I think they like the electrolyte. The sooner we switch over to solid state electrolyte the better... Id like to see them drain those batteries.
Fuzzy Wuzzy, quite a bear,
With a look of puzzled flair.
Played all day with his ball,
Lying naked in the hall.
Not so sharp, but still our dear, fuzzy friend.

• Haha
Reactions: Fuzzball84

baking soda

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2020
Italy

Okay, sure.

I'm using a Series 7 and performance still sucks. And I bet even a Series 9 would suck. It's the OS and software that is terribly optimized, it's got little to do with the horsepower of the device itself.
Source: AW user since 2018

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Can’t come soon enough. Last update absolutely wrecked the battery life on my AWU2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.