Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 4.2.2 to Developers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 4.2.2 update to developers, a little over one week after releasing the watchOS 4.2 update, which introduced Apple Pay Cash on the Apple Watch.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

[​IMG]

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

It's not yet clear what new features or improvements the watchOS 4.2.2 update might introduce, but we'll update this post once we've installed the update and have had time to dig into the new features.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 4.2.2 to Developers

2. themick4u, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017

themick4u macrumors 6502

themick4u

Bringing back the ability to browse my music collection stored on iphone and launch playlists remotely from watch again????

:rolleyes: Here's to remaining hopeful.......

POST INSTALL UPDATE:

And no, this important feature has NOT been restored.... I have filed bug reports and requests and am told that they do not know if or when this will be restored.

I will NOT be purchasing anymore Apple Watches for myself or my family, nor will I recommend for the clients I support in IT.

3. Bill Av macrumors regular

You mean you want a feature that Apple trumpeted onstage a few years ago, then took away without any warning or explanation? Shame on you!

4. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

Probably has AirPlay 2 like the iOS/tvOS betas do now.

5. rti92391 macrumors member

rti92391

Real question: Does anyone try WatchOS betas? There is essentially no discussion on Watch betas and it seems like no one knows what is actually changed. Speaking for me, I ran the Watch betas, but WatchOS 4 beta 1/2 were the absolute worst of all time.

6. bthompson macrumors regular

I do and use my watch daily. After the last round of betas I am a little unsure of how jumping back in.

7. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

I ran the 4.1 beta because Apple Music was a huge reason I bought the watch in the first place, but no features since then have been worth the risk and there's no way to downgrade.

8. Aston441 macrumors 65816

As poster above noted, probably inability to downgrade. It scares me off.

9. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Apple Watch developers should try betas, but there aren't many Watch apps out there so I don't think a huge number of devs care about it.
    And being an app developer myself I can tell you I don't bother with betas on my personal devices. The iOS simulator is great for debugging and implementing new features before iOS is out, so apart from test devices I can mess up with I tend to stay away from betas

10. RobNYC macrumors 6502

Anyone here with a 1st generation watch seeing a big decrees in battery life after watch OS 4? I'm draining down to 20% some days and that's without using any of the workout features.

11. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I've tried every beta since I got my first gen with watchOS 1, and now with my S2. The only issues I've ever had were some battery drain issues on some betas. No serious functional problems to make me regret it.

12. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I am on watchOS 4.2. Wonder what feature would 4.2.2 bring. Also, I would like to browse my iPhone iTunes library and play it directly from watch, to an extent. I did not realize this feature was removed until I did a bit research.

13. themick4u macrumors 6502

themick4u

Yea, it is a total bummer and basically all I really used my watch for aside from the viewing of notifications.... I've complained alot about it via apple feedback and bug reporter.