Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 5.1.2 update to developers, two days after releasing watchOS 5.1.1, an updated version of watchOS 5.1 that addressed a bug causing some Apple Watch Series 4 models to be bricked after installing the software.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

applewatchseries4watchfaces-800x659.jpg

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

It's not yet clear what features will be introduced in the watchOS 5.1.2 update, but as a 5.1.x update, it's likely to be minor in scale, addressing bug fixes and making other small improvements to the operating system. We'll update this post if we find anything new in the watchOS 5.1.2 beta.

watchOS 5.1 and watchOS 5.1.1, the current release version of watchOS, introduced support for Group FaceTime in an audio-only capacity, brought new emoji characters, and included a new full-screen "Color" watch face option for the Apple Watch Series 4 models.

What's new in watchOS 5.1.2: The watchOS 5.1.2 update introduces new complications for the two Infograph watch faces on the Apple Watch Series 4. New complications include Mail, Messages, Home, Maps, Apple News, Phone, Find My Friends, and Remote.

watchos512changes.jpg

watchOS 5.1.2 also introduces a new toggle in Control Center for turning the Walkie-Talkie feature on and off.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 5.1.2 to Developers

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Waiting for someone to install first, and also to confirm suspected addition of messages etc complications for infograph faces.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I'm waiting to install 5.1.1 on my replacement S4 after 5.1 messed things up. So I am not going to try the 5.1.2 dev one by any stretch right now.

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
I really don't understand the complications. For example - shouldn't the mail complication show how many emails you have unread ? I would have thought that would be useful..

Reactions: Craiguyver

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I really don't understand the complications. For example - shouldn't the mail complication show how many emails you have unread ? I would have thought that would be useful..

I would guess that more information about these complications will be added in a future release. For now, I'm just glad to be able to open Messages and Home without having to launch it from the Dock or using an older watch face.

Reactions: Smurphy Gherkin

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Now some 3rd Party complications don’t seem to work... They don’t even show when trying to select via the Watch app.

On the Watch itself, while customizing, I can select them (e.g. Dark Sky), but the complication simply says “Dark Sky” - no info is shown. Tapping the complication launches the app fine.

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
It installed perfectly fine on my side, and it adds the working complications for mail, messages etc.. in infograph

Awesome! Really looking forward to this. Don’t want to take the beta jump because of it, but a month or so?

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Is "Now Playing" available as the center complication on the modular infograph? I like to glance at my watch and see what song is playing

Reactions: Craiguyver

Kangastu

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
I’m not into Apple bashing - but I have no idea how these faces got through sign off without a message or email complication? Above and beyond fitness, notifications have to be primary use case, surely?

I can’t wait for these changes to roll out. Quick access to messages will be super convenient and we’ll recieved by me!

Reactions: douglasf13

Craiguyver

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Ohio, USA

You'll need to purchase the all-new Series 5 watch next fall for that feature...

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Is Sunrise/Sunset available as a complication on info graph now?

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
The more I use the "regular" ("analog) Infograph face, the more I like it, although still not fond of round dials in rectangular cases. I'd like to try the Infograph Modcular face, but will an alarm complication be available for the one of the three bottom complications under 5.1.2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.