Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 5.1.2 to Developers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 5.1.2 update to developers, two days after releasing watchOS 5.1.1, an updated version of watchOS 5.1 that addressed a bug causing some Apple Watch Series 4 models to be bricked after installing the software.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

[​IMG]

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

It's not yet clear what features will be introduced in the watchOS 5.1.2 update, but as a 5.1.x update, it's likely to be minor in scale, addressing bug fixes and making other small improvements to the operating system. We'll update this post if we find anything new in the watchOS 5.1.2 beta.

watchOS 5.1 and watchOS 5.1.1, the current release version of watchOS, introduced support for Group FaceTime in an audio-only capacity, brought new emoji characters, and included a new full-screen "Color" watch face option for the Apple Watch Series 4 models.

What's new in watchOS 5.1.2: The watchOS 5.1.2 update introduces new complications for the two Infograph watch faces on the Apple Watch Series 4. New complications include Mail, Messages, Home, Maps, Apple News, Phone, Find My Friends, and Remote.

[​IMG]

watchOS 5.1.2 also introduces a new toggle in Control Center for turning the Walkie-Talkie feature on and off.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 5.1.2 to Developers

2. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Waiting for someone to install first, and also to confirm suspected addition of messages etc complications for infograph faces.

3. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

I'm waiting to install 5.1.1 on my replacement S4 after 5.1 messed things up. So I am not going to try the 5.1.2 dev one by any stretch right now.

4. Hemmik macrumors member

Can confirm these have been added.

5. MrLoL, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

It installed perfectly fine on my side, and it adds the working complications for mail, messages etc.. in infograph

6. dillacom macrumors regular

Having the apple complications in info graph finally is awesome

7. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

8. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Not sure why this took so long but I agree, great news for sure. Installed it on a S4 watch, as did the previous release.

9. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

10. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

I really don't understand the complications. For example - shouldn't the mail complication show how many emails you have unread ? I would have thought that would be useful..

11. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I would guess that more information about these complications will be added in a future release. For now, I'm just glad to be able to open Messages and Home without having to launch it from the Dock or using an older watch face.

12. Enygmatic, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Now some 3rd Party complications don’t seem to work... They don’t even show when trying to select via the Watch app.

On the Watch itself, while customizing, I can select them (e.g. Dark Sky), but the complication simply says “Dark Sky” - no info is shown. Tapping the complication launches the app fine.

13. iAdamator macrumors 6502

The podcast app is still missing from the new watch faces. It may actually be the only one that is missing now.

14. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

15. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

Awesome! Really looking forward to this. Don’t want to take the beta jump because of it, but a month or so?

16. Bill Av macrumors regular

Is "Now Playing" available as the center complication on the modular infograph? I like to glance at my watch and see what song is playing

17. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Nope!

18. Bill Av macrumors regular

:( Thanks for the info.

19. Kangastu macrumors member

Kangastu

I’m not into Apple bashing - but I have no idea how these faces got through sign off without a message or email complication? Above and beyond fitness, notifications have to be primary use case, surely?

I can’t wait for these changes to roll out. Quick access to messages will be super convenient and we’ll recieved by me!

20. Craiguyver macrumors member

Craiguyver

You'll need to purchase the all-new Series 5 watch next fall for that feature...

21. rjp1 macrumors regular

Is Sunrise/Sunset available as a complication on info graph now?

22. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Only as a corner complication, so the infograph analogue face

23. Malcster macrumors 6502a

My wait for an LTE/Cellular signal strength complication continues, You shouldn't have to use the Explorer watch face, you should be able to add it to any watchface.

24. JulesK macrumors 6502

The more I use the "regular" ("analog) Infograph face, the more I like it, although still not fond of round dials in rectangular cases. I'd like to try the Infograph Modcular face, but will an alarm complication be available for the one of the three bottom complications under 5.1.2?

25. coolkid93 macrumors member

coolkid93

Where is that update for the EKG feature