Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 5.1 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 5.1 update to developers, just one day after releasing the new watchOS 5 operating system.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software update.

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

It's not yet clear what features will be introduced in the watchOS 5.1 update, but it could bring support for answering Group FaceTime calls, a feature that was removed during the beta testing period. New emojis are also an option.

We'll update this post when we find out what's new in the watchOS 5.1 update.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 5.1 to Developers

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Probably has the capability, but likely still disabled while it completes the ratification it needs.

Remember kids, if you're waiting for a new Series 4, and you're looking to sell your old device, don't update your old device to this beta. You can't roll back, I suspect 12.1 won't release before you want to sell your old device, and you can't really sell it running beta software.

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Probably has the capability, but likely still disabled while it completes the ratification it needs.

Remember kids, if you're waiting for a new Series 4, and you're looking to sell your old device, don't update your old device to this beta. You can't roll back, I suspect 12.1 won't release before you want to sell your old device, and you can't really sell it running beta software.
I’ve sold devices on beta versions after declaring said information in the listing.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
so if I trade in an apple watch running Beta software to Apple, they will not accept it?

krypt17

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Question.. off topic.. the watch face on the left with the faces.. are you able to do that on a series 2? Or is that a face only for series 4?

DukeSilver79

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018

I was thinking about how I might sell my 3 for the 4 and then you go and make good sense! I guess I will hold off for now. Thanks!

aaronlionsheep

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Only series 4.
I was hoping that the larger 42mm watches might support that new watch face since it has a larger screen than the smallest series 4 (40mm). But I guess it could be due to the shape of the new display, or as a unique feature to the series 4.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I was hoping that the larger 42mm watches might support that new watch face since it has a larger screen than the smallest series 4 (40mm). But I guess it could be due to the shape of the new display, or as a unique feature to the series 4.
Here's the thing ... even if they masked off the corners and rounded them, the 42mm would still have about the same size as the new 40mm, and definitely larger than the old 38mm. The old 38mm would be much smaller though. But they could do it. Aesthetically, the curve would not match the 42mm bezel, so that would be one reason Apple wouldn't allow it. The other may have much more to do with the processor required to keep 8 complications updated and animated in real time.

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
Here's the thing ... even if they masked off the corners and rounded them, the 42mm would still have about the same size as the new 40mm, and definitely larger than the old 38mm. The old 38mm would be much smaller though. But they could do it. Aesthetically, the curve would not match the 42mm bezel, so that would be one reason Apple wouldn't allow it. The other may have much more to do with the processor required to keep 8 complications updated and animated in real time.

Two things.... Yes it is feature to make people upgrade or buy the Apple Watch Series 4. But the real reason is the higher pixel count. This is more important than size and the reason the older watches don't support the new faces.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Two things.... Yes it is feature to make people upgrade or buy the Apple Watch Series 4. But the real reason is the higher pixel count. This is more important than size and the reason the older watches don't support the new faces.
But everything about Apple's graphics are scalable. The 38mm has the same faces as the 42mm, which has a higher pixel count as well. So, I'm not sure why that would matter?

Reactions: Craiguyver

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Not working for me. Tried several times.

OS5, iOS 12 (Series 3; 7+)
Stupidly obvious question, but you are using iCloud iMessage correct?

Full disclosure, I do not have an Apple Watch (yet) to test. So I am going off others posts.

decypher44

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Stupidly obvious question, but you are using iCloud iMessage correct?

Full disclosure, I do not have an Apple Watch (yet) to test. So I am going off others posts.
I would say “no”. I don’t use iCloud for pretty much anything. I wouldn’t even know why I would use it. I have a Mac, but o don’t want any of my phone or watch stuff syncing with it unless I’m doing a backup.

Wouldn’t even know how, why or what iCloud messaging would be for. And from what I understand, it only works with iMessages, not standard text. More than half the people I text use Android.

What frustrates me is this: I used to use a Fossil Q watch with Android Wear with my 7+. It deleted messages from the watch when I would delete them from my phone. For the life of me I can’t understand why it worked so easily with an Android watch and not with Apple’s own watch.

Thank you, though. That’s the answer.

[doublepost=1537334294][/doublepost]Ok. Just tested. Yeah, turned on iCloud messages. Deleted an iMessage and it worked. Deleted a standard text message, doesn’t work. More hassle than it’s worth. Seriously, if an Android watch can do it with an iPhone, why can’t an Apple Watch?

Last edited:
Reactions: archvile

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I would say “no”. I don’t use iCloud for pretty much anything. I wouldn’t even know why I would use it. I have a Mac, but o don’t want any of my phone or watch stuff syncing with it unless I’m doing a backup.

Wouldn’t even know how, why or what iCloud messaging would be for. And from what I understand, it only works with iMessages, not standard text. More than half the people I text use Android.

What frustrates me is this: I used to use a Fossil Q watch with Android Wear with my 7+. It deleted messages from the watch when I would delete them from my phone. For the life of me I can’t understand why it worked so easily with an Android watch and not with Apple’s own watch.

Thank you, though. That’s the answer.

[doublepost=1537334294][/doublepost]Ok. Just tested. Yeah, turned on iCloud messages. Deleted an iMessage and it worked. Deleted a standard text message, doesn’t work. More hassle than it’s worth. Seriously, if an Android watch can do it with an iPhone, why can’t an Apple Watch?
Just tested this with my iPhone/Watch, and a Mac with Messages in iCloud enabled on both.

Deleting an iMessage from the phone will remove it from the watch automatically (it did not do this before).

Deleting a regular SMS/green text message from the phone will NOT remove it from the watch (same behavior as before). However, this WILL remove the same SMS conversation from other devices with Messages in iCloud enabled.

So it seems the Watch got a half-assed version of Messages in iCloud. Which is unfortunate, because 99% of the texts I delete are ones for 6 digit login codes or tracking updates, and those are always regular SMS.

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.