Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 6.1.1 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 6.1.1 update to developers, one week after releasing the watchOS 6.1 update with support for AirPods Pro and the Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watch models.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated ?Apple Watch? app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

To install the update, the ?Apple Watch? needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

We don't yet know what features are included in the watchOS 6.1.1 beta, but once we install the update and figure out what's new, we'll update this article.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 6.1.1 to Developers

ferretex

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
Maybe if it's as stable and reliable as you guys say we might go through a realatively small amount of betas...but who knows...Thanks for providing such info guys!

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Should I even update my series 2 to watch OS 6 at all? My series 2 is not the fastest, but it does everything I need so far and watch OS 5 has been fine.

kirbyrun

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2009
Does this fix the issues I've been having with Siri, where it cuts off and begins to interpret before I'm done speaking? So I get "Hey, Siri, remind me to" and then nothing.

Also, when I tell Siri to add something to a list, it tells me it wasn't able to create the reminder...but about half the time, when I check, the reminder HAS been added.

xDKP

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
My battery has been great on 6.1 actually... Had a slight drop in the first couple of WatchOS 6 releases but it seems to be back to old greatness. Does end the days very different though.

Yesterday I ran 10K with GPS (no music) and ended the day in the 40's %
Other days with no GPS run and not very different use pattern I end lower... Which is odd as 4G connection and GPS should be the battery killers.

ruslansv

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
6.1 still has horrible battery life for me. It occasionally starts draining battery at a rate of 1% a minute accompanied by delayed activity sync. This got better since 6.1 - but has been there since 5.2 or so intermittently.

Minimal settings, no 3rd party apps instaled, wake on raise disabled, minimal brigtness, no noise app, most background refreshes and notifications disabled, minimal brightness but always on (watch 5). Ends the day with 12% with 1 partial recharge in between. So 1/3rd of claimed battery life at best. The battery was tested and came up normal.

When I look into logs - there're various crashes as far as the eye can see - filed many feedbacks with Apple - no response or reaction as usual.

Think they've serious architecture and QA problems that has been spinning out of control.

Computers 4 U LLC

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2017
Kansas City
6.1 still has horrible battery life for me. It occasionally starts draining battery at a rate of 1% a minute accompanied by delayed activity sync. This got better since 6.1 - but has been there since 5.2 or so intermittently.

Minimal settings, no 3rd party apps instaled, wake on raise disabled, minimal brigtness, no noise app, most background refreshes and notifications disabled, minimal brightness but always on (watch 5). Ends the day with 12% with 1 partial recharge in between. So 1/3rd of claimed battery life at best. The battery was tested and came up normal.

When I look into logs - there're various crashes as far as the eye can see - filed many feedbacks with Apple - no response or reaction as usual.

Think they've serious architecture and QA problems that has been spinning out of control.
Maybe do a factory reset on it, I've been getting nearly 3 whole days of battery life on my series 3 since 5.x and my wife gets basically 2 days on her series 1 (both currently on the latest 6.1.1). We both have third party apps installed and raise to wake enabled.

ruslansv

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
Maybe do a factory reset on it, I've been getting nearly 3 whole days of battery life on my series 3 since 5.x and my wife gets basically 2 days on her series 1 (both currently on the latest 6.1.1). We both have third party apps installed and raise to wake enabled.
Interesting that you mentioned that - I tried it. It goes back to 100% normal for about 2-3 weeks and then starts slowly deteriorating exhibiting this fast battery drain episodes. Sometimes you see stack traces stuck in sqlite library eating up the CPU - which leads me to believe it has to do with health / activity database growing overtime on the watch and either due to poor design of it or some bugs it progressively starts taking more and more CPU overtime - that is until you reset it. And it's not transient as reboots do not help. The fact that they've not fixed this yet points to a design issue rather then a simple bug.

Computers 4 U LLC

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2017
Kansas City
Interesting that you mentioned that - I tried it. It goes back to 100% normal for about 2-3 weeks and then starts slowly deteriorating exhibiting this fast battery drain episodes. Sometimes you see stack traces stuck in sqlite library eating up the CPU - which leads me to believe it has to do with health / activity database growing overtime on the watch and either due to poor design of it or some bugs it progressively starts taking more and more CPU overtime - that is until you reset it. And it's not transient as reboots do not help. The fact that they've not fixed this yet points to a design issue rather then a simple bug.
I would say it's more likely something to do with your specific watch and not a design flaw. It could be that the battery in yours is prematurely failing.

ruslansv

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
I would say it's more likely something to do with your specific watch and not a design flaw. It could be that the battery in yours is prematurely failing.
It's a brand new S5 watch. The battery was tested and found to be optimal. I was also able to reproduce this problem with S4. A friend of mine has S3 and is experiencing a similar issue.

Finally - the fact that reset helps for several weeks pretty much rules out a h/w problem - but rather points to a data issue.