Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 8.1 beta to developers for testing purposes, with the update coming just a day after watchOS 8 was released to the public.

watchOS-8-on-Apple-Watch-feature.jpg

To install ‌‌watchOS 8‌‌, developers will need to download the configuration profile from the Apple Developer Center. Once installed, ‌‌watchOS 8‌‌ can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General > Software update.

To update to new software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it needs to be in range of the ‌‌iPhone‌‌. It's not recommended to install ‌‌watchOS 8‌‌ on a main Apple Watch as the software may be unstable at this early date.

There's no word yet on what's new in watchOS 8.1, but we'll update this article when we know more.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of watchOS 8.1 to Developers

_Spinn_

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
I can't think of any features announced for watchOS 8 that were cut from the initial release (unlike iOS). I wonder what would be in this update besides bugfixes?

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
One really annoying aspect of watchOS 8 - Despite the fact that Series 6 and 7 watches have 32GB of storage, only 8GB can be used for media storage: music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. If you try to add more than that, you will receive an error message, "The storage space dedicated to media on your Apple Watch is full."

It's unclear what else you could possibly fill the remaining 24GB on a 32GB Apple Watch with, if not media. If you think this content throttle is as ridiculous as I do, please consider letting Apple know.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
One really annoying aspect of watchOS 8 - Despite the fact that Series 6 and 7 watches have 32GB of storage, only 8GB can be used for media storage: music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. If you try to add more than that, you will receive an error message, "The storage space dedicated to media on your Apple Watch is full."

It's unclear what else you could possibly fill the remaining 24GB on a 32GB Apple Watch with, if not media. If you think this content throttle is as ridiculous as I do, please consider letting Apple know.
Series 5 also have 32gb...not that that changes your point! looking at my S5 it currently has 19.4gb free. Were you able to go beyond the 8 gb on OS 7?

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Series 5 also have 32gb...not that that changes your point! looking at my S5 it currently has 19.4gb free. Were you able to go beyond the 8 gb on OS 7?

Apparently there were a lot of complaints last year, and Apple Support said a fix would be released with 7.3. After 7.3, I was able to add 12GB of media, but it's back down to 8.9GB with watchOS 8.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Anyone else with horrible battery life with watchOS 8? It’s 1 o’clock in the afternoon and I’ve already had to throw my watch on the charger with 10% battery left. The previous version at midnight still have 50 to 60% left.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Anyone else with horrible battery life with watchOS 8? It’s 1 o’clock in the afternoon and I’ve already had to throw my watch on the charger with 10% battery left. The previous version at midnight still have 50 to 60% left.

While one day can't indicate a trend, I was pleasantly surprised that when I went to charge my watch before bedtime last night, the watch battery was still at 57% after a day's use. It's usually in the low to mid 40s.

And I'm pleasantly surprised that after a year of use, my battery health is still at 99%, which is a vast improvement over other Apple product batteries after the same amount of time.

chrisduk

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Liverpool, UK
My battery life is dreadful on watchOS 8.1 with series 6. Charging time is even worse

my watch went off at 6pm. I plugged it in at 8:30pm once I was home and it’s now 11:05pm and it’s still won’t switch on to boot and just showing this screen (attached)

Attachments

• 00F1D78E-1811-4B8E-9867-9C3054804A79.jpeg
    00F1D78E-1811-4B8E-9867-9C3054804A79.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 10

chrisduk

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Liverpool, UK
To add to this I held down two side buttons for 45 seconds and the apple logo loaded.
Only then did it start to charge.

my watch warranty expires tomorrow… I hope it’s just a watchOS 8.1 bug

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
My battery life is dreadful on watchOS 8.1 with series 6. Charging time is even worse

my watch went off at 6pm. I plugged it in at 8:30pm once I was home and it’s now 11:05pm and it’s still won’t switch on to boot and just showing this screen (attached)
Interesting. Mine lasts a bit longer on 8

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)

I had the same issue. I went into the watch app and I erased the watch which does by the way back your watch up just before it does this. That I re-synced the watch and when ahead and restored it from the last back up and the battery problem was completely solved. I go all day and usually have about 50% left at the end of the day. And this is actually after wearing the watch all night. I charge it to 100% before going to bed, I can usually get to the next evening with about 50%. I throw it on the charger when I’m on the computer or watching TV or a movie to get it to 100% before bedtime. But if you don’t wear it while sleeping you should get even better battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.