Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first betas of upcoming iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 updates to developers for testing purposes, with the updates available a day after the launch of iOS 17.2 and iPadOS 17.2.

iOS-17.3-Feature.jpg

Registered developers are able to opt into the betas by opening up the Settings app, going to the Software Update section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 Developer Beta. An Apple ID associated with a developer account is required to download and install the beta.

iOS 17.3 introduces a Stolen Device Protection feature that limits access to your private information in case someone obtains both your iPhone and your passcode. When activated, it requires Face ID or Touch ID identity verification to do things like accessing passwords in iCloud Keychain, turning off Lost Mode, making purchases through Safari with saved payment credentials, and more.

There are also features that require verification and have a one-hour delay to access, such as changing an Apple ID passcode, an iPhone passcode, turning off Find My, and turning off Face ID. More details can be found in our article on Stolen Device Protection.

We are also still waiting on a handful of new features that Apple promised would be coming in iOS 17, including collaborative Apple Music playlists and AirPlay on Hotel Room TVs. Apple recently said that both of these features will be coming in 2024, so we could see them in this beta as iOS 17.3 is expected to launch sometime in January 2024.

Apple is also working on app sideloading in the European Union, a next-generation CarPlay feature, and the adoption of rich communication services (RCS), but these may be features that instead come in iOS 18.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Betas of iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 to Developers

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
So did they fix the MDCrashReportTool bug preventing syncing with computer?

At the moment in iOS 17.2 one can make it sync by opening activity monitor on the mac and kill MDCrashReportTool.

Lizzard899

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2023
Delaware
Theres definitely a bug in the icloud when you go to manually back up your phone on ios 17.2. When you go to settings>your name at the top>icloud>manage settings>backups>click your iphone device>backup size>under next backup size IT SAYS LOADING. Hope they fix it in ios 17.2.1

Ive given up on them ever fixing the icloud/iphone storage bug. They actually made it worse with 17.2 its now increased a lot instead of decresed. Even after Ive manually deleted texts etc. I was told by apple it takes up to 4 days for them to be deleted on the servers end

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Released today
  • iOS 17.3 beta (21D5026f) - December 12, 2023
  • iPadOS 17.3 beta (21D5026f) - December 12, 2023
  • macOS 14.3 beta (23D5033f) - December 12, 2023
  • watchOS 10.3 beta (21S5625c) - December 12, 2023
  • tvOS 17.3 beta (21K5625e) - December 12, 2023

Reactions: centauratlas

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
Cool, so this is what they were talking about when there were viral news about unlocked iPhones getting stolen and logged out from the Apple ID

Lizzard899

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2023
Delaware
Yay! New bugs!
Im convinced they dont ever read the apple.com/feedback page where youre supposed to file a report to mention any bugs. I mean I just got a new phone in october and theres more bugs in 17.1 and 17.2 than I had on my old phone that didnt even have ios 17 because it was too old.

Reactions: LightsOn45

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
So did they fix the MDCrashReportTool bug preventing syncing with computer?

At the moment in iOS 17.2 one can make it sync by opening activity monitor on the mac and kill MDCrashReportTool.
To me, this is the kind of major bug that really should have been resolved prior to public dissemination of the software. This is horrible! I was wondering why syncing was taking forever.

I assume this bug was something Apple was informed of but nevertheless still released the revision/version to the public?

Lizzard899

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2023
Delaware
To me, this is the kind of major bug that really should have been resolved prior to public dissemination of the software. This is horrible! I was wondering why syncing was taking forever.

I assume this bug was something Apple was informed of but nevertheless still released the revision/version to the public?
Well technically youre suppose to report any bugs you see in a ios on apple.com/feedback but I personally am convinced apple never reads that page because they never seem to fix the bugs they just make it worse or make new bugs in a new update. Nothing ever gets fixed until like 1 or 2 yrs later its crazy

• Sad
Reactions: dustin_ and msackey

slomtbr

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010

Even worse, there was no sync delay in the last beta.

• Sad
Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Well technically youre suppose to report any bugs you see in a ios on apple.com/feedback but I personally am convinced apple never reads that page because they never seem to fix the bugs they just make it worse or make new bugs in a new update. Nothing ever gets fixed until like 1 or 2 yrs later its crazy
I've reported many bugs in the past using the Feedback tool (desktop app), the one where you're required to sign in etc. And you're right that there are some bugs that are years old!

Even worse, there was no sync delay in the last beta.
Oh wow! :(

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Im convinced they dont ever read the apple.com/feedback page where youre supposed to file a report to mention any bugs. I mean I just got a new phone in october and theres more bugs in 17.1 and 17.2 than I had on my old phone that didnt even have ios 17 because it was too old.

I do bug reports fairly often - there was one that swapped voices from one of the 17.2 betas to the next (or maybe it was 17.1.1 to beta 1). I did a bug report in the Feedback app (iOS version usually if it is phone related, sometimes the macOS one) and about 10 days later I got an update saying a changed had been made, asking for further feedback. They don't always get them the first time, but they have been good about responding.

Personally, I think the Feedback app in the betas (dev or public) seem to be the way to report bugs if you want a follow up and more of a chance of fixing things.

Just my experience.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012

MDCrashReportTool is really old software. They are making new stuff like iOS 17.2 and 17.3 betas and need to make the new stuff work with this really old software. It's always been problematic - for both macs AND windows PCs. There are reports of buggy behaviour of MDCrashReportTool on the net as far back as 2008.

It has become more pronounced with the iOS 17.2 update.

It basically sends crash reports from the iphone to the mac during the sync process and if permission is given, uploads to apple.

The new watchOS 10.2 update seems to be interfering with it and stopping it from working so an alternative workaround is to turn the watch off.

But I think killing the MDCrashReportTool in activity monitor is a quicker workaround.

Others have suggeseted a more permanent fix by renaming MDCrashReportTool or deleting it from the computer but the computer may try to stop you from doing this. I tried to do that in terminal and got the message saying I don't have permission to do it.

What? It's MY computer, not apple's. How dare they say I don't have permission to do what I want with MY computer!

Last edited:

Lizzard899

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2023
Delaware
I've reported many bugs in the past using the Feedback tool (desktop app), the one where you're required to sign in etc. And you're right that there are some bugs that are years old!

Oh wow! :(
Yea I remember on my last phone the iphone 8 when I would make phone calls the calls would drop even when I was on my wifi and had 1 bar. It literally took two years for the wifi to work again when I would make calls and only had one bar. But yeah at this point im ready to not have anything on my phone to free up icloud storage. I read somewhere awhile back that it might take up to 180 days for the storage to go back down to normal after you delete things like photos texts etc to free up space. It takes up 180 days to free it up on the servers end. Its crazy. If you scroll up to the top of this comments I wrote down the bugs Ive noticed in ios 17.3 I think my comment was number 3 from the TOP of these comments

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
an alternative workaround is to turn the watch off.
There is a third workaround: Downgrade back to iOS 17.1.2 while it is still signed.

It is likely that apple will stop signing that soon.

If apple are not going fix the MDCrashReportTool bug in iOS 17.2 any time soon there is another way the MDCrashReportTool bug can be circumvented: Apple please DON'T stop signing iOS 17.1.2!

And if you are concerned about the MDCrashReportTool bug and have not yet updated to iOS 17.2 - DON'T!

Reactions: Lizzard899

Lizzard899

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2023
Delaware
There is a third workaround: Downgrade back to iOS 17.1.2 while it is still signed.

It is likely that apple will stop signing that soon.

If apple are not going fix the MDCrashReportTool bug in iOS 17.2 any time soon there is another way the MDCrashReportTool bug can be circumvented: Apple please DON'T stop signing iOS 17.1.2!

And if you are concerned about the MDCrashReportTool bug and have not yet updated to iOS 17.2 - DON'T!
Thats usually how you know theres a new update coming, when they stop signing the previous update.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I'm completely satisfied with Apple Music, but no person I know use it.
Same thing with so many apple features...I'd love to use them but 90% of the people I know use android/spotify

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
The beta is still not showing up for me. Any ideas on how I can get it to show up? Tried toggling the beta on and off, toggling connectivity on and off, even restarted phone a few times.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.