Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first betas of upcoming iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 updates to public beta testers, allowing non-developers to test the software ahead of its release. The public iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 betas come two days after Apple released the betas for developers.

iOS-17.3-Feature.jpg

Public beta testers can get the beta by opening up the Settings app, going to the Software Update section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 Public Beta. Signing up on Apple's beta testing website is required.

iOS 17.3 includes Stolen Device Protection, a feature that offers an extra layer of security in case your iPhone is stolen and the thief also obtains your passcode. With this turned on, Face ID or Touch ID authentication is required for viewing iCloud Keychain passwords, turning off Lost Mode, erasing an iPhone's contents, using saved payment methods in Safari, and more. There is no passcode entry option should Face ID or Touch ID fail.

Certain actions, such as changing an Apple ID password, updating a device passcode, turning off Find My, and removing Face ID require authentication and also a one-hour security delay.

The update also adds collaborative Apple Music playlists, a feature that lets Apple Music subscribers build playlists with friends, family members, and others who share their musical tastes. Any playlist can be turned into a collaborative playlist by tapping on the person-shaped icon and sharing the link.

Those who want to try it out in iOS 17.3 can click on the MacRumors playlist link to try adding a song.

We are expecting iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 to be released in January 2024.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Public Beta of iOS 17.3 With Stolen Device Protection

Last edited:
Reactions: bobcomer

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
This should fall under their "rapid security response" update or whatever they call it. Glad they're addressing the issue in a reasonably timely manner though.
I wasn’t expecting a solution from Apple this soon, but I‘m thinking it will be an opt-in setting for a while.

Reactions: zach-coleman

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Bluetooth audio problem solved finally?
I have bluetooth audio issues on my Mac, but not on iPhone and iPad.

Often when my bluetooth headphones connect to my Mac the audio would crack and lag to the point of being unusable. I have to toggle bluetooth off and on, and then reconnect all the devices, then audio would work properly.

What's the problem you are having?

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
They should add the option to toggle on/off FaceID check for each app after the phone has been unlocked when not at home.

There are apps that I don't want people getting into in the case where it is snatched while I am using the phone unlocked outside of my home -- such as banking apps, or even emails and messages, but not things like games and weather.

I would not want the slight delay for FaceID when the phone is safe at home, but I would like to have a master switch that automatically locks the apps that I have chosen to protect when I am not at home, and a manual switch in control center.

sea800

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
I had installed the prior developer beta of 14.3. A studio display is blank since then as if not powered. There was no visible anomaly during the update. Of course it can be hardware but the time proximity is just too close.

What's concerning though is that despite under warranty a post-Jobs Genius Apple could again not give meaningful phone support (asked if she has a technical background, the first lady picking up the phone said she does not have to be tech in meaning), a service partner is asking about 100 or so to flash it back to life.

edited oops that was for MacOS

Last edited:

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
They should add the option to toggle on/off FaceID check for each app after the phone has been unlocked when not at home.

There are apps that I don't want people getting into in the case where it is snatched while I am using the phone unlocked outside of my home -- such as banking apps, or even emails and messages, but not things like games and weather.

I would not want the slight delay for FaceID when the phone is safe at home, but I would like to have a master switch that automatically locks the apps that I have chosen to protect when I am not at home, and a manual switch in control center.
I've gotta hand it to Samsung here, they've had this for years. It feels like a really common sense feature, especially since they throw privacy and security around so often.

SSSH_ASS

Suspended
Dec 14, 2023
A person can also get into an accident and damage his brain and forgets his passcode.

An asteroid can also fall and hit the person, rendering the passcode, face, and fingerprint irrelevant, even if the phone survives.
Not to mention he can also lose his hands and feet making forgotten password very small issue on his questionably concussed head.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Someone will get into some accident where their face is damaged enough that Face ID fails then what?
Or perhaps it wasn’t an accident, but elective cosmetic surgery. Either way, their phone will still function as usual with the passcode, but in order to perform the restricted functions they’ll need to follow whatever procedure(s) Apple has decided (or will decide) to implement, likely using iCloud on another device, but we’ll all know soon enough.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Beta 2 probably won’t be available for 4 weeks, something to keep in mind before deciding to install a beta 1 on your daily driver.

Reactions: ray21

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
This is the first time I’ve ever been tempted to be a public beta tester.
We always join with like the 5th beta before the annual release then stay with it.

Advantage is the betas have the security fixes before the point or dot updates do.

I suppose auto update installs the beta updates but don’t know because I do it manually after I see an update has dropped.

Reactions: CharlesShaw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.