Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today provided public beta testers with macOS 10.12.5, a new update that's been in developer testing since March 28. macOS Sierra 10.12.5 comes a little over a week after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.4, which introduced Night Shift for the Mac.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the 10.12.5 macOS Sierra beta through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

macOS-10.12.5-beta-800x500.jpg

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and macOS Sierra betas. Betas should not be installed on a primary machine due to the potential for instability.

The release notes accompanying the developer beta say the update "improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac."

There's not much to glean from Apple's release notes, so it is not clear what minor feature tweaks or bug fixes might be included in 10.12.5. Nothing notable has been discovered in the developer betas thus far.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Public Beta of macOS 10.12.5 to Public Beta Testers

asdfqwe

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
Is this a joke?
"so.... apple has released something. But we don't know what. But we are still making a news out of it. What is new? No idea, sorry, maybe ask some competent folks around....."

Like seriously has this become a newsfeed for simple events, void of any content, meaning or usefulness?
I'm sitting here half laughing, half not knowing what to feel about this. Maybe it's about time to delete this page from my RSS feed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is this a joke?
"so.... apple has released something. But we don't know what. But we are still making a news out of it. What is new? No idea, sorry, maybe ask some competent folks around....."

Like seriously has this become a newsfeed for simple events, void of any content, meaning or usefulness?
I'm sitting here half laughing, half not knowing what to feel about this. Maybe it's about time to delete this page from my RSS feed.
Why is it a joke? Apple released something new, that's basically the main piece of the news.

Reactions: ikir

asdfqwe

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
Why is it a joke? Apple released something new, that's basically the main piece of the news.
I'm not too deep into the Apple ecosystem (though I use two Macbooks on a daily to semidaily basis), but from every other piece of technology I follow I'm used to actually get news about new versions, revisions, iterations, etc.
It simply seems absurd that the main headline would be "there is a new version" instead of e.g. "new version y introduces feature x and z", especially with the background of the new interesting apple filesystem that floats around since a few months and that was recently introduced (though somewhat quietly) into iOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not too deep into the Apple ecosystem (though I use two Macbooks on a daily to semidaily basis), but from every other piece of technology I follow I'm used to actually get news about new versions, revisions, iterations, etc.
It simply seems absurd that the main headline would be "there is a new version" instead of e.g. "new version y introduces feature x and z", especially with the background of the new interesting apple filesystem that floats around since a few months and that was recently introduced (though somewhat quietly) into iOS.
Well, Apple hasn't emphasized anything specific that is of note in this new beta, which isn't really uncommon for them. Nothing exactly new or strange there as far as Apple betas go.

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
Check in the Settings app under "Security & Privacy" that "Allow your Apple watch to unlock your Mac" hasn't been unchecked when you updated macOS to 10.12.4. If it still is checked, then uncheck it and then check it again. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206995
I did that several times before posting as well as several reboots. No joy. My mac has been buggy as hell since the day I bought it. Two days ago it decided to tell me there was only 1% battery left and everything ground to a halt. This despite being on charge for the preceding 5hrs and reporting it was 100% a minute earlier.

Maybe .5 will fix. I am constantly sending crash reports.

Kraszim

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2017
It simply seems absurd that the main headline would be "there is a new version" instead of e.g. "new version y introduces feature x and z"

No it isn't. If this beta includes only bugfixes and non functional improvements then not giving people change log is the only way to properly test it. It's like placebo testing in medicine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.