Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming macOS Monterey 12.1 update to public beta testers, just a day after providing the beta to developers.

facetime-screen-sharing-2.jpg

Public beta testers can download the macOS 12.1 Monterey update from the Software Update section of the System Preferences app after installing the proper profile from Apple's beta software website.

macOS Monterey 12.1 introduces support for SharePlay, the feature that allows FaceTime users to do more with their friends and family members. With SharePlay, ‌FaceTime‌ users can listen to music, watch TV, watch movies, and even share their screen with the people they're chatting with.

SharePlay is already active in iOS 15.1, iPadOS 15.1, and tvOS 15.1, and the macOS Monterey 12.1 update brings Macs in line with the Apple TV and iOS devices.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Public Beta of macOS Monterey 12.1 With SharePlay

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
So in the past month there have been two major OS updates -- Windows 11 and Monterey -- and in both cases the much-hyped feature I was most excited to play around with ended up delayed: native Android app support on Windows,
and Universal Control on Macs/iPads.

I suppose lots of folks felt the same way about SharePlay getting delayed, so yay for them, I guess.

winxmac

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2021
I wonder what happened to the other article regarding reduced warranty claims.

Anyways, is it going to be copyright infringement or anything related since the content/video/music is intended only to the account holder but due to shareplay others can watch/view/hear what you are experiencing from where you are?

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I wonder what happened to the other article regarding reduced warranty claims.

Anyways, is it going to be copyright infringement or anything related since the content/video/music is intended only to the account holder but due to shareplay others can watch/view/hear what you are experiencing from where you are?
This might help answer your question:

basically, it says pretty plainly, in words everyone can understand (shout out to old tv shows from the 60s), that you both need Apple Music subscriptions, so umm, no infringement issues

Reactions: winxmac

Realityck

macrumors 603
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Any news regarding the USB-C hubs?
One party responded to you in the other thread. I see this isn't just about hubs,
As the report notes users are reporting issues on both Intel Macs and devices like the 13-inch MacBook Pro with M1 and MacBook Air with M1, suggesting this is likely a software bug that has been introduced in the latest software. The problem seems to affect hubs and solo USB devices like mice and keyboards.
I had one example with 12.0.1 with a Logitech G502 mouse being disconnected until I unplugged it and replugged it in and restarted the software that communicated to it. However its been working fine with this beta.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Is it? Does installing the beta full installer without using SoftwareUpdate (so just the .app) will move me to the beta profile? So I need to unenroll again to go back to stable build? (As in getting the next stable updates)

Since i don't want to use beta os. But I think it's kinda needed with the new MBP since it fixes YouTube HDR kernel panics (as reported in threads) and apparently the memory leak. So I think it's more stable than the stable build lol

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Does it support Universal Control? I bought an iPad last week just for that feature only to find out it doesn't have it. If the latest betas have it I'll use them.

ANDJOE

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Does it support Universal Control? I bought an iPad last week just for that feature only to find out it doesn't have it. If the latest betas have it I'll use them.
I’m guessing 12.2 will support UC.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
This has been particularly buggy for me...as in it will crash the entire computer for no reason. I'll go up to do a menu item in Safari and suddenly, everything will freeze, the fans on my M1 Mac Mini will sping up high (first time I ever heard the fans on this thing, btw) and then just reboot itself.

And then, just last night, overnight, the Mac rebooted itself. It wasn't doing anything but sitting there not running anything with the monitor off. I got up this morning and it had rebooted.

Also, yesterday it lost all network function. No ability to reach the Internet, nor even my local server. No matter what I did made any difference...and I'm connected via ethernet. Had to reboot to get it back.

So so far the 12.1 Beta (21C5021h) has been very buggy for me.

Reactions: SFjohn

SFjohn

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2016
This has been particularly buggy for me...as in it will crash the entire computer for no reason. I'll go up to do a menu item in Safari and suddenly, everything will freeze, the fans on my M1 Mac Mini will sping up high (first time I ever heard the fans on this thing, btw) and then just reboot itself.

And then, just last night, overnight, the Mac rebooted itself. It wasn't doing anything but sitting there not running anything with the monitor off. I got up this morning and it had rebooted.

Also, yesterday it lost all network function. No ability to reach the Internet, nor even my local server. No matter what I did made any difference...and I'm connected via ethernet. Had to reboot to get it back.

So so far the 12.1 Beta (21C5021h) has been very buggy for me.
Thanks for your post, I’ll definitely stay away from this beta for now. I hope you’ve reported all this in the feedback assistant.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
So far on MBP 16inch 2021. Works just fine. Hoping for a newer Beta with fixes and everything. Especially 120hz intertia scrolling in browsers

Reactions: Frequent92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.