Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first public beta of an upcoming macOS Sonoma 14.2 update, allowing non-developers to test out the software ahead of its release. The public beta comes a day after the first developer beta.

macos-sonoma-4.jpg

Beta testers can opt-in through the Software Update section of the System Settings app. Under Beta updates, simply toggle on the Sonoma Public Beta. Note that you must sign up to participate on Apple's beta testing website.

macOS Sonoma 14.2 adds Messages sticker reactions, which make it quicker to add a sticker or an emoji to an iMessage. It also includes support for collaborative Apple Music playlists, allowing multiple people to add songs to a single playlist.

There's a new Favorites Apple Music playlist as well, better support for Messages in iCloud syncing, and iMessage Contact Key Verification for people who face extraordinary digital threats.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Public Beta of macOS Sonoma 14.2

Reactions: Mylodon and mudflap

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The install of 14.2 beta 1 on top of 14.1 RC was fairly quick. Not seeing anything really amiss with my two AS Macs.

What was released yesterday to devs/PB testers today
  • iOS 17.2 beta (21C5029g)
  • iPadOS 17.2 beta (21C5029g)
  • macOS 14.2 beta (23C5030f)
  • tvOS 17.2 beta (21K5330g)
  • watchOS 10.2 beta (21S6331f)

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Wasn’t expecting this today, will upgrade my M1 MBA later today.
Upgraded my Mac Studio from Venture to Sonoma earlier in the week, no issues

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Journal app maybe?
I don't think that application is coming immediately. We still have the absence of the Apple Classical application and no equivalent except to use Apple Music on MacOS 14.2 beta.
iOS 17.2 adds the Journal app designed to let iPhone and iPad users record their daily activities and thoughts. Apple offers prompts that can be used as inspiration, and journal entires can be outfitted with images, voice recordings, location tags, and more.

Last edited:
Reactions: xmach

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
What's the overall consensus with Sonoma? I'm curious as to how stable it's been.

Sonoma is solid for me.

This is the first macOS in quite some time that worked with all of my software out of the box. Adobe CC has a couple glitches here and there but it works, generally. And of course — although I'm going to sound like a borked record — the screensaver/wallpapers are absolutely stunning, especially in HDR on a 14" or 16" MacBook Pro. I do miss the third party Mail Receipt plugin for Mail.app; Apple got rid of plugins altogether and are moving to extensions. So maybe we'll have an alternative in the future but for now, nope.

Apple Remote Desktop is noticeably more responsive administering a couple Mac minis I have set up as audio and video servers. That was a very pleasant surprise!

I just installed it yesterday, waiting until I was finished with a big project to be safe. The only issues I've seen so far; sometimes an app's window is stuck behind or in front of another window. I might update to 14.2b to see if that fixes it, as long as it doesn't introduced other problems. And I swear everything really does feel a little zippier on my 14" M1 Pro.

BTW, I still despise the new System Setting introduced in Ventura. Real, genuine hatred. I thought it would grow on me and I'd develop some muscle memory after more than a year, bit I still can't remember where anything is. I used to be able to get to 80% of what I needed with one click. Now it's at least two, sometimes three or four clicks.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
BTW, I still despise the new System Setting introduced in Ventura. Real, genuine hatred. I thought it would grow on me and I'd develop some muscle memory after more than a year, bit I still can't remember where anything is. I used to be able to get to 80% of what I needed with one click. Now it's at least two, sometimes three or four clicks.
Don't forget about the Alphabetical list view in Mac System Settings. While the below image is from Ventura, Sonoma is the same.

mac-system-settings-macos-ventura-2.jpg

Truben

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2022
Not for me. Logic Pro is giving me a headache warning me that my Oeksound plugins are destabilising all the system. Tried to run a Full Audio Unit Reset as the owner asked me to do but it didn't pan out. I guess it's temporary.

Reactions: prefuse07

eropko

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2023
Will it stop recognizing objects, images and text in all pictures on your mac while it's asleep?

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
Not for me. Logic Pro is giving me a headache warning me that my Oeksound plugins are destabilising all the system. Tried to run a Full Audio Unit Reset as the owner asked me to do but it didn't pan out. I guess it's temporary.
that's probably an issue from the oeksound plugins or logic side. nothing to do with sonoma. i use oeksound soothe 2 with ableton and there are no issues.

Reactions: Truben

jbmelby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Sonoma is solid for me.

This is the first macOS in quite some time that worked with all of my software out of the box. Adobe CC has a couple glitches here and there but it works, generally. And of course — although I'm going to sound like a borked record — the screensaver/wallpapers are absolutely stunning, especially in HDR on a 14" or 16" MacBook Pro. I do miss the third party Mail Receipt plugin for Mail.app; Apple got rid of plugins altogether and are moving to extensions. So maybe we'll have an alternative in the future but for now, nope.

Apple Remote Desktop is noticeably more responsive administering a couple Mac minis I have set up as audio and video servers. That was a very pleasant surprise!

I just installed it yesterday, waiting until I was finished with a big project to be safe. The only issues I've seen so far; sometimes an app's window is stuck behind or in front of another window. I might update to 14.2b to see if that fixes it, as long as it doesn't introduced other problems. And I swear everything really does feel a little zippier on my 14" M1 Pro.

Solid as a rock for me.

miguelbesy

macrumors member
May 23, 2020
Seeing online people had problems with original Sonoma not mounting drives formatted in exFAT. Hope Apple solves this huge problem.
Can anyone tell if this 14.2 beta fixes this issue? I am having this issue!

It seems that my external hard drive that I always have plugged in takes ages to mount, this only happens when the mac reboots or shut down, I know this is normal behavior when you unplug a hard drive without ejecting correctly, but now is happening every time I boot or restart the Mac.

If eject the drive on macOS and plug in again it shows up instant, but if shut down or reboot the computer takes ages. It seems it's going like a process to check up if everything is okay with the drive and then it mounts, is there a way to deactivate this "check up"?

This happens on all my 3 drives they all on ExFAT

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Hope they turn off the "What's new" pop up every time I launch Home for example. A few other apps act like I'm opening them up for the first time like I've just updated to Sonoma.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.