Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first public beta of an upcoming macOS Sonoma 14.3 update, allowing non-developers to test out the software ahead of its release. The public beta comes two days after the first developer beta.

macos-sonoma-4.jpg

Beta testers can opt-in through the Software Update section of the System Settings app. Under Beta updates, simply toggle on the Sonoma Public Beta. Note that you must sign up to participate on Apple's beta testing website.

macOS Sonoma 14.3 includes support for collaborative playlists in Apple Music, allowing Apple Music subscribers to build playlists with others. When creating a new playlist or selecting an existing playlist, there's a person-shaped icon that can be tapped to turn on collaboration.

Enabling collaboration provides a link that can be shared with others, and anyone with the link is able to contribute to the playlist and listen to the songs. The person who started the playlist can choose to approve those who want to join or open it up to everyone. Anyone with the link to a playlist can add music, though the owner can turn off collaboration at any time or remove people.

macOS Sonoma 14.3 is expected to see a launch at some point in January 2024.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Public Beta of macOS Sonoma 14.3

sea800

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
I had installed the prior developer beta of 14.3. A studio display is blank since then as if not powered. There was no visible anomaly during the update. Of course it can be hardware but the time proximity is just too close.

What's concerning though is that despite under warranty a post-Jobs Genius Apple could again not give meaningful phone support (asked if she has a technical background, the first lady picking up the phone said she does not have to be tech in meaning), a service partner is asking about 100 or so to flash it back to life.

Jerry Fritschle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2004
I had installed the prior developer beta of 14.3. A studio display is blank since then as if not powered. There was no visible anomaly during the update. Of course it can be hardware but the time proximity is just too close.
I've run the betas in a VM, but my Studio Display has stayed on the official release. Twice recently (I think both since Sonoma), I have had the SD fail to awaken from sleep. I found the attached link helpful. Most recently I resolved it by shutting down for a moment (NOT restarting.) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254746406?sortBy=best

Edit: "...since Sonoma", of course, could also indicate an issue with the corresponding SD firmware update, not Sonoma per se. But the phenomenon reminds me, if anything, of how USB busses may sometimes crash. I've seen that since time immemorial.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGS

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004

What's concerning though is that despite under warranty a post-Jobs Genius Apple could again not give meaningful phone support (asked if she has a technical background, the first lady picking up the phone said she does not have to be tech in meaning), a service partner is asking about 100 or so to flash it back to life.
Don't install beta software if you lack the technical skills to resolve issues yourself.

Reactions: clevins and alyvos

sKurt

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2022
Have they fixed the exFAT issue yet? It's a nonplus for me now as I had to convert both my 88TB/60TB drives to APFS, I'd be nice if Apple addressed it. We do have other RAID boxes with >128TB and that would be overwhelming to try and move data off, format/erase to APFS, move data back on.

sea800

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
well the experience on a probably 14.3 update bricked studio display above continues as dire: phone support with the non-tech genius department: nil. Service shop asking for money, pick-up/send-in: not done for monitors, apple store: not an option.

the notion above that don't do what you don't understand: there is a point in that one should not update what one can not revert. Indeed, but more like that the genius department should provide the necessary tools and software for DFU-type recovery to the ill-treated customers.

actually reading up on it, it looks like Apple is again navigating a legal zone to its advantage: various right-to-repair legislation can be argued to include the need to give customers the necessary software to revive a firmware-bricked device. This cries for legal action because by itself they won't better.

update: the monitor self-revived after being powerless for some time. Given that it had power cycled before, short of an intermittent hardware issue, there might be an (undocumented) feature to revert firmware loads in a bootstrap process in case it does not come up. Still a bad experience.

Last edited:

apn3agr

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
did anyone with MacBook Pro M3 lose the newest wallpapers with this update? Can't find the black pro one or the newest ones that got released with M3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.