Apple Seeds First Public Beta of tvOS 12.2

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 12.2 update to its public beta testing group, a few days after providing the beta to developers and a week after releasing the tvOS 12.1.2 update.

The tvOS 12.2 public beta can be obtained by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section under "System." "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the Apple TV will download the beta software.

[​IMG]

tvOS 12.2, paired with iOS 12.2, lets users ask Siri to play specific media on an Apple TV from an iOS device. You can, for example, ask Siri to play Modern Family on the TV in the living room. This works for music and TV content.

[​IMG]

No other new features were discovered in the tvOS 12.2 beta as of yet, and it's often difficult to determine what's new because Apple does not provide release notes letting us know what's changed.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Public Beta of tvOS 12.2

2. acmeplus macrumors member

Looking forward to test this tonight. About time Apple links "real" Siri with Apple TVs to be able to command them.

3. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Hopefully tvOS 12.2 or 13.0 will provide third-party developers with the capability to add support for Dolby Atmos. The Apple TV only support Dolby Atmos on-top of Dolby Digital Plus aka the "lossy" version of Dolby Atmos. Not all that surprising as the Apple TV and tvOS did not support the lossless formats such as Dolby True HD or DTS: Master Audio to begin with.

But the saddest part of the Dolby Atmos support is how there is no API for developers to utilise in order to get it supported within their apps. Firecore, the developers behind Infuse and Plex Inc the developers behind Plex Media Player are simply not allowed to add support for Dolby Atmos within these apps.

It's only Apple themselves, and chosen streaming provides working directly with Apple that are allowed to integrate with the Dolby Atmos capabilities within tvOS. This is such a shame and is really putting some stark discrimination on the developers.

Hopefully tvOS 12.2 or 13.0 will provide a API for all the developers to use. Why limit this in such a way? It's beyond me...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2019 ---
    The Firecore team encourages Apple TV users to raise this issue with Apple;

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

All we need now is a new Apple TV! Hopefully, one without the ridiculous trackpad remote. JMHO.

5. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Not really. Nothing wrong with the current hardware.

Btw when is YouTube.tv going to offer 5.1 on ATV?

6. archer75 macrumors 68020

I like the remote. The trackpad lets me move around quickly and scrub through a show. Easy peasy. And since it has siri built in to find and play shows I fail to see why I need that through my phone as well.

7. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I have grown to like it. It feels so darn slow to navigate my Plex-library, my YouTube subscriptions, do video scrubbing etc without the TouchPad. I can control my Apple TV using my Harmony Ultimate or my LG's Magic Remote but that feels so slow in comparison.

8. Braderunner, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019

Braderunner macrumors 6502a

So, does Siri now control ATV from the Watch?
    Update: Nope. Hopefully with next update. :rolleyes:

9. Solver macrumors 6502a

The Apple TV remote needs a find my remote feature.
    I commonly use my iPad because I have no idea where the remote went.

10. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I bought a BRIGHT RED silicone cover for mine.
    No more lost remote. :)
    Also, I now know which way is up or down! :D

11. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Exactly what I did. It really helped.

12. Solver macrumors 6502a

Thanks. If I find my remote I may just do that.

13. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

LOVE the way iOS works with the ATV now! Hope this feature comes to WatchOS.
    Once again, you can browse thru your music library, without having to turn on the tv! (and not using AirPlay)!!!!!!!
    It's like Xmas!

14. 2010mini macrumors 68040

never lost or misplaced mine.

15. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Mine is double-taped to the back of my Sony remote.