Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first public betas of upcoming iOS and iPadOS 13.4.5 updates to its public beta testing group, a day after releasing the second betas of iOS and iPadOS 13.4.5 to developers.

ios-13.4.5-feature.jpg

Public beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will be able to download the iOS/iPadOS 13.4.5 updates over the air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

iOS and iPadOS 13.4.5 appear to be updates that are minor in scale, focusing primarily on bug fixes, under-the-hood improvements, and other small tweaks and changes. The software may address an issue with Personal Hotspot that prevents it from working for some people and it could also fix a VPN-related vulnerability, both of which are issues that Apple said would be addressed in upcoming updates.

iOS 13.4.5 includes a new Apple Music feature that allows Apple Music songs to be shared on Instagram Stories. Tapping the Share button on a song in Apple Music creates a story with a song title, album name, and animated background, but at this time there is no way to get to Apple Music from the shared information.

applemusicshareinstagram.jpg

iOS and iPadOS 13.4.5 are likely to be some of the final updates to the iOS and iPadOS operating systems as Apple transitions to working on iOS and iPadOS 14.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Public Betas of iOS and iPadOS 13.4.5

Reactions: einsteinbqat

jafd

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
Users: hey Apple, wouldn't it be nice to have a new iOS not devour our batteries!
Apple: now Apple Music songs can be shared on Instagram Stories!
Users: Apple, you know your QA is manure. Also, you broke the personal hotspot.
Apple: here, have a celery smoothie emoji!
Users: would you please fix some bugs?
Apple: have some Carpool Karaoke episodes!
Users: ....
Apple: Mac Pro wheels for $700, yay!

Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2018
Users: hey Apple, wouldn't it be nice to have a new iOS not devour our batteries!
strange your experience is so much different from mine. runs very smoothly with few glitches and bugs. Maybe I am still comparing to Windows and not to perfection, though, yah perfect would be nice, but perfection is a standard never to be achieved., but macOS, iOS, tvOS always beat Windows

Comment

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
I keep hoping that this update will be the one to fix my car bluetooth issues but I should just give up on that idea.
[automerge]1587060336[/automerge]
strange your experience is so much different from mine. runs very smoothly with few glitches and bugs. Maybe I am still comparing to Windows and not to perfection, though, yah perfect would be nice, but perfection is a standard never to be achieved., but macOS, iOS, tvOS always beat Windows

I dont think he wants perfection. He is asking for competence. All the things he is complaining about worked before the updates. He just wants updates to be QA'd better so that things continue to work after new updates.

Comment

urnotl33t

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA

True.However, iOS/iPadOS still has a moronic screen orientation bug that’s been there since v13.0.0. Reproducible and reported to Apple Support. It’s an elementary bug that never existed previously, yet QA cares not one iota about it apparently, and that’s why my SE still remains on iOS 12 while my iPad mini (5th gen) endures the “joy” that is iPadOS 13.

Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin

Yep. Nowadays it seems like "it just works" is more wishful thinking than brand execution.

Comment

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas

I'm still sitting on iOS 13.3. I'm not budging. The battery life on my 11 Pro Max is fantastic. I have zero problems. I'm not even going to go down that update rabbit hole with the whole country basically on lockdown.

Comment

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yep. Nowadays it seems like "it just works" is more wishful thinking than brand execution.
I was thinking about that, and I think it's a minor misplacement of emphasis on our part.
When reading that line, we put it on "works", but it actually belongs on "just".

I ask iOS to do about a dozen basic things it was able to do in 1.1.3. After a dozen years, it can just barely do any of them and the Ui is a less usable mad tangle. Doesn't exactly make me want to spend premium $ on more of these devices. If Catalina were shooting fireworks out its behind, I'd be happy to forgive the lack of attention the same complaints about iOS keep enjoying every release, but its an even worse mess. If Microsoft hadn't gone all evil empire and made Win10 a dystopian nightmare, Apple might have some serious competition to motivate it, or not, but as it stands, the computer biz seems to be running on autopilot.

Last edited:
Comment

adammusic

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Sharing a track/album to Instagram stories only links to the track and plays no music.
👎🏼👎🏼 Booooooo

• Disagree
Reactions: Babygotfont
Comment

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I guess they said to hell with the Mail.app fixes. I guess it'll be back to normal with iOS 14.

Reactions: miq
Comment

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
UK
I wish they would add the Battery Health Management to the iPad software as well. I do not see why they haven’t since it has been on the iPhone for awhile and now for the Macbooks.

Already is as of iOS 11.3, just not widely known about, and there’s no setting for it.

• Haha
Comment

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Already is as of iOS 11.3, just not widely known about, and there’s no setting for it.
The thing you shared does not seem to be for overnight charging, only for 24/7 charging.

• Wow
Comment

techfreak23

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2013
Well I will take this opportunity to jump back on the beta so I can bombard them with Series 2 Xbox Elite controller support feedback... Can't believe we're almost to iOS 14 and they still haven't added it.

• Haha
Comment

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
That’s BS. What have they done this year. Release a 2018 iPad Pro with an extra core unlocked and camera and Lidar. Release a iPhone 8 with a iPhone 11 processor?
Wow Tim! That’s innovation.

oh I left out a $300 dollar keyboard!!!! Lordy Lordy, I hope no one is buying this garbage. They need some humble pie. Out of control for what they charge

• Wow
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That’s BS. What have they done this year. Release a 2018 iPad Pro with an extra core unlocked and camera and Lidar. Release a iPhone 8 with a iPhone 11 processor?
Wow Tim! That’s innovation.

oh I left out a $300 dollar keyboard!!!! Lordy Lordy, I hope no one is buying this garbage. They need some humble pie. Out of control for what they charge
You mean what have they done in the first three months of 2020? LIDAR is clearly innovation, the iphone SE is invention. And presumably it's going to be a big win for Apple, even if some MR posters scoff at it.

As far as who is buying their products, those who bet against apple tend to lose as they do their homework. (Like every other company there are some bum products here and there)

• Angry
Comment

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
You mean what have they done in the first three months of 2020? LIDAR is clearly innovation, the iphone SE is invention. And presumably it's going to be a big win for Apple, even if some MR posters scoff at it.

As far as who is buying their products, those who bet against apple tend to lose as they do their homework. (Like every other company there are some bum products here and there)

I bought a couple of the 2020 iPad pros owning the 2018 models. Their site made it like it was a improvement. Received them with chipped glass, scratched display, and a scuffedup chassis. Worth every dollar of that 1600 per device. Returned for refund partly because of the damage and partly cause there was no real benefit. So I can use AR or measure something. I never really use AR and the rest was negligible or rendered useless as software doesn’t use it.

I get the SE, it’s cheap. People love cheap.

but the rest of the year will also have issues too and delays. If anything, iOS 14 better wow cause this last software release has been pretty sad and lack luster. But Tim is a bean counter and not a products guy.

I’m not betting against Apple. Only stating they are not pushing out amazing things like they did with Steve. And that you can’t deny. They’ve only changed by doing what customers kept asking for. The old keyboard design back, mouse support on the iPad, bigger chargers on the iPhone. Nothing amazing.

• Haha
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I bought a couple of the 2020 iPad pros owning the 2018 models. Their site made it like it was a improvement. Received them with chipped glass, scratched display, and a scuffedup chassis. Worth every dollar of that 1600 per device. Returned for refund partly because of the damage and partly cause there was no real benefit. So I can use AR or measure something. I never really use AR and the rest was negligible or rendered useless as software doesn’t use it.

I get the SE, it’s cheap. People love cheap.

but the rest of the year will also have issues too and delays. If anything, iOS 14 better wow cause this last software release has been pretty sad and lack luster. But Tim is a bean counter and not a products guy.

I’m not betting against Apple. Only stating they are not pushing out amazing things like they did with Steve. And that you can’t deny. They’ve only changed by doing what customers kept asking for. The old keyboard design back, mouse support on the iPad, bigger chargers on the iPhone. Nothing amazing.
People have a different views on what is "amazing" and what isn't. As far as you quality issues, yeah it happens. My Aunt bought a Honda a few years ago, drove it off the lot and the engine died. Stuff happens.

As far as AR and LIDAR, we will see where it goes, if anywhere.

• Sad
Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I was thinking about that, and I think it's a minor misplacement of emphasis on our part.
When reading that line, we put it on "works", but it actually belongs on "just".

I ask iOS to do about a dozen basic things it was able to do in 1.1.3. After a dozen years, it can just barely do any of them and the Ui is a less usable mad tangle. Doesn't exactly make me want to spend premium $ on more of these devices. If Catalina were shooting fireworks out its behind, I'd be happy to forgive the lack of attention the same complaints about iOS keep enjoying every release, but its an even worse mess. If Microsoft hadn't gone all evil empire and made Win10 a dystopian nightmare, Apple might have some serious competition to motivate it, or not, but as it stands, the computer biz seems to be running on autopilot.

And to think that the iOS team employs the main crop of Apple's talent, and macOS is an afterthought. Indeed, what might be the saddest part is that with the computer business on autopilot and half an engine left, Apple's impossibly complacent C-suite management can get away with anything by merit of plain lack of competition.

Apple of 2020 is the Blackberry of 2009, difference being that there's no 2009-Apple-on-steroids equivalent to keep them on their toes.

Comment

AbhijitD

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2020
Does this update fix any bugs like the one in iOS TV app where you do not see the library view any longer in offline. It has been existing for almost a year and has been reported multiple times to Apple. Wonder what magic needs to be done to get this fixed?

Comment

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
Is anyone else confused as to why we are jumping from 13.4 to 13.4.5? Why is this update not 13.4.1?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.