Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming macOS Mojave 10.14.1 update to developers, a little over one week after seeding the third beta and three weeks after releasing the macOS Mojave update.

macOS Mojave introduces a new method of installing software updates, so after the initial beta has been installed using the appropriate profile from the Developer Center, additional betas can be downloaded through opening up System Preferences and choosing the "Software Update" option.

macosmojaveimac-800x668.jpg

The 10.14.1 update includes support for Group FaceTime, a feature that was removed during the beta testing period. Group FaceTime, which lets you chat with up to 32 people at once, is also present in the iOS 12.1 beta.

macOS Mojave 10.14.1 introduces more than 70 new emoji characters that are also available in iOS 12.1 and watchOS 5.1. There are new options for red hair, curly hair, no hair, and gray hair, along with characters to represent superheroes, cold face, party face, pleading face, and face with hearts.

There are a number of new animals and food items like kangaroo, parrot, lobster, mango, lettuce, and cupcake. Tweaks have been made to some existing emoji as well. The iPhone emoji, for example, has been updated to look like the iPhone X with no bezels or Home button.

unicode11emoji3-800x361.jpg

We didn't find any other significant new features in the first three developer betas of macOS Mojave, so it's not clear if there are any additional changes. The update likely includes performance improvements and bug fixes for issues that have been discovered since the release of the Mojave update.

Should new features be found in the fourth beta, we'll update this post.

macOS Mojave is a major update that brings features like a systemwide Dark Mode, stacks for organizing messy desktops, new Finder capabilities, new tools for taking screenshots, a Continuity Camera option for easily transferring photo scans and documents from iPhone to Mac, and more. For more on macOS Mojave, make sure to check out our roundup.

Update: Apple has also seeded a new macOS Mojave beta to its public beta testing group.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of macOS Mojave 10.14.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
We didn't find any other significant new features in the first three developer betas of macOS Mojave, so it's not clear if there are any additional changes. The update likely includes performance improvements and bug fixes for issues that have been discovered since the release of the Mojave update.

If only you would read your own forums, perhaps you'd actually learn something.

MP5,1: Mojave 10.14.1 DP3 BootROM 140.0.0.0.0 has native NVMe support!!!

Don't mind me, carry on with your nonsensical discussion on emojis. I'll get back to work.

Edit: Oh and while I'm here...maybe this is also interesting for folks RTX Series Cards have Native Bootscreen Support!

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
I have to say, Mojave and iOS 12 have been some of the smoothest launches from Apple in a decade. Looking forward to continued refinement and stabilization. Mojave will become very robust with it having started out on such a strong footing.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
this beta released fixed a couple of weird issues with Mojave for me like some jitteriness when moving spaces and Mac App Store not working.

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
Can't wait for it! I know macOS 10.14 has been incredibly stable and performant, but yet, taking care of the few bugs and improving it overall is always welcome. Generally the first minor update gets the most of it.

And yeah, contrary to what everyone else is saying, I like having more emojis. And I know they are not wasting a lot of resources into it. So why not. If it was the only change in the update, then I would be disappointed.

Reactions: martyjmclean

azpc

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Have they solved the random appearances of FaceTime? Occasionally, when I turn on my iMac, the FaceTime camera is activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.