Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming watchOS 4 update to developers, a little over one week after seeding the third beta and over a month after introducing the new update at its 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the watchOS 4 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 4 features three new watch faces, including a dedicated Siri watch face that displays dynamic information unique to each individual and is perhaps the most significant new feature in the update. There are also new complications for Now Playing and Apple News, and an enhanced Workout app that supports High Intensity Interval Training and new swimming options.

GymKit, a new technology platform, will let the Apple Watch interface with gym equipment for workout data sharing purposes, and the Activity app will offer up intelligent coaching and tailored workout encouragement along with new monthly activity challenges.

Many other small tweaks and changes have been introduced, all of which are outlined in our dedicated watchOS 4 roundup.

watchOS 4 is only available to developers and will not be provided to public beta testers, so non-developers will need to wait until the software sees an official release in the fall to try it out.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of New watchOS 4 Operating System to Developers

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
And "Unable to Check for Update" fest continues.

As with beta 3, it seems the best thing to do is wait for the red "1" badge to appear next to Apple Watch app on its own.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I think it's "said" that for a long time, but won't do install unless it's on a charger.
It looks like the update can download without the watch being plugged in, which I think is new, but then when you hit “install” a different message appears asking for you to plug the watch it.

Reactions: richardtekel

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Still crazy to me that MR makes 4 separate posts for the Beta releases Lol.

Because they are completely unrelated and it makes sense to have discussions pertaining to the topic for that specific Beta separated. It would be confusing to have all the beta's discussed in one thread regarding a beta and it's makes it easier for discussion with others regarding the same topic.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I want to pull the trigger on this so badly. . .I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to... least of which is having to send my watch to Apple if something were to happen. But so far the new dev beta 4 is running well on my 7 Plus.

I just REALLY miss the music complication showing me what is currently playing.

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Software Update keeps telling me I am not connected to the internet. I am connected to the internet. I've tried on and off WIFI. Managed to update to iOS11b4.
[doublepost=1500924115][/doublepost]
Software Update keeps telling me I am not connected to the internet. I am connected to the internet. I've tried on and off WIFI. Managed to update to iOS11b4.

Managed after resetting network settings, restarting (3x), and pressing Try Again numerous times.

UPDATE whilst typing this: started downloading, now it says I am not on WIFI. I am.
[doublepost=1500924394][/doublepost]UPDATE 2: started again: 2 hours to download 161MB.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This update process is really, really messed up. I finally got the download (numerous restarts, airplane mode, repairing, etc...) and now its stuck on "Preparing". Not Apple's finest moment here...

Reactions: maine82

techiejosh

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010

Got that error. Had to re-download and I'm finally installing it on my S2.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Could not connect to Apple Watch... Ah, yes... classic Apple. This is the worst Apple product by far.

green94

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Hopeful for battery life improvements and syncing music to the watch to be fixed.

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Been trying to get this thing in my watch all afternoon. Still haven’t managed it. It has started downloading again after sitting there for ages making no progress at all. 49 mins to go this time. Fingers crossed.

Tdadlani

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Manhattan
Can someone post a list of updates and changes please
[doublepost=1500939332][/doublepost]Also any battery life improvements noticed

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
An hour later and the progress bar is blank, where it had said 21 mins before. I have no idea what is going on.

IMG_0151.jpg

Have tried restarting both phone and watch. Never had so much trouble installing a beta update.
[doublepost=1500945841][/doublepost]Well, this is getting ridiculous. Finally downloaded the update, but couldn’t verify because my phone is not connected to the internet, which it is, so it is starting all over again.

45mins to download.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Please, oh please let WatchOS 5 (or 4.x) have complications for the workout app. I'd like to see my blood sugar while working out via the Dexcom complication that I have for the watch face, but it takes a few clicks to get to it.
[doublepost=1500949013][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1500924115][/doublepost]

Managed after resetting network settings, restarting (3x), and pressing Try Again numerous times.

UPDATE whilst typing this: started downloading, now it says I am not on WIFI. I am.
[doublepost=1500924394][/doublepost]UPDATE 2: started again: 2 hours to download 161MB.
Maybe this is what you need...
MD463

base242

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
My old Pebble watch used to buzz when it was taken out of range of my iPhone which for me was an excellent feature.
Is this something that can be done with the Apple Watch?
If not it should be.

Last edited:

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
My old Pebble watch used to buzz when it was taken out of range of my iPhone which for me was an excellent feature.
Is this something that can be done with the Apple Watch?
If not it should be.

You need to submit that directly to Apple via feedback instead of here on a third party forum if you want it to be seen by Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.