Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.2 update to developers, two weeks after releasing the third beta and over a month after the launch of macOS Catalina 10.15.1.

The new macOS Catalina beta can be downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in the System Preferences app after installing the appropriate profile from the Developer Center.

macos-catalina-wallpaper-800x479.jpg

We don't yet know what improvements the second update to macOS Catalina will bring, but it most likely focuses on performance improvements, security updates, and fixes for bugs that weren't able to be addressed in the macOS Catalina 10.15.1 update.

We didn't find any major new changes worth noting in the first three betas, but we'll update this article should anything notable be found in the fourth beta.

macOS Catalina is a major update that does away with iTunes in favor of new Music, Podcasts, and TV apps. It also nixes support for 32-bit apps, adds a new Find My app, brings a new Photos interface, and includes multiple privacy enhancements and other app refinements.

For more on everything that's new in macOS Catalina, make sure to check out our dedicated macOS Catalina roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of Upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.2 Update to Developers

Reactions: maojinbing

DasKrieger

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2016
Earth
Most likely with MacPro 7,1
Hope they fix the MacBook Pro 16 eGPU low bandwidth and poor performance using Radeon 5700XT (slower than a 580 in 10.15.1).
MacBook Pro 15 2016-2018 report much higher TB3 throughput

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I have issue with Keychain dialog box asking for my username and password constantly, I hope this will fix it.

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Anyone who follows the beta cycles have an educated guess when this will be released?

Around January
no, 10.15.2 will be out around January.

What makes you so confident it'll be released in January? I would have guessed it might release as soon as next week, but it's a total guess on my part. The new 16" MBP (a halo product along with the new Mac Pro) is experiencing some glitches which I surmise might be fixed or at least improved in 10.15.2, so there's incentive for Apple to get the .2 update in a timely manner.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Given the complaints and reviews on Apple Store, this software is probably the worst performing operating system ever introduced by Apple. I cannot believe how slow Apple have been at providing ‘fixes’.

I myself have sent through multiple Feedback reports and nothing. Problems that still exist from PB 3!

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Given the complaints and reviews on Apple Store, this software is probably the worst performing operating system ever introduced by Apple. I cannot believe how slow Apple have been at providing ‘fixes’.

I myself have sent through multiple Feedback reports and nothing. Problems that still exist from PB 3!

I wouldn't say the *worst* ever, but definitely one of the most unstable releases since the annual release schedule switchover.

So many Wi-Fi/bluetooth issues on Catalina.

I can't believe Apple watch unlock is still unstable after many people reported it interferes with Wi-Fi (reproduced by me too on MBP) for several months (not limited to Catalina).

sugargliderdude

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2019

going by this statistic chart is shows people are not happy with Catalina, normally the new macOS overtakes the previous version after a month or so, but if you look at the chart, it clearly shows people don't like it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 20.17.55.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 20.17.55.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 232
  • Sad

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011

This isn't the worst ever - that medal gets pinned on Lion. Catalina is definitely second though. I just gave up ruining my life beta testing this one. I swore I wouldn't touch this pox ridden OS X version until at least 10.15.4, but then I went ahead and purchased a new 16" MacBook Pro so now swimming nose deep in hot, steaming [censored] along with the rest of the Catalina crowd...

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Hope they fix the MacBook Pro 16 eGPU low bandwidth and poor performance using Radeon 5700XT (slower than a 580 in 10.15.1

MP5,1 with RX580 8GB in 10.14.6 has a GB5 METAL score of 39004, CBr20 score of 2320
MBP16 with 5500M 8GB in 10.15.1 has a GB5 METAL score of 27580, CBr20 score of 3314
MBP16 with RX 5700 XT 8GB via Sonnet eGFX 650 in 10.15.1 has a GB5 METAL score of 33723, CBr20 score of 3399

Yes my MP5,1 is loaded and upgraded but this really NEEDS to improve... I'm not a fan of GB5 scores, but it does a good job of illustrating this specific issue. Really hoping the drivers were rushed for 10.15.1 and the MBP16 build of 10.15.1 to get it out the door.

• Sad

**maestro**

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
I certainly hope they will fix the Reminders app on Catalina in this update. It's unusable with all the crashing, syncing & notification bugs! I've never been truly angry with Apple until now. Don't get me started on the iTunes / Apple Music changes! Grrrrr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.