Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming watchOS 6.1 beta to developers, just under a week after seeding the third watchOS 6.1 beta and a month after releasing the watchOS 6 update with full App Store, new Apple Watch faces, and more.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

applewatchseries5-800x609.jpg

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have over 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

There were no major changes found in the first three watchOS 6.1 betas, so it's not entirely clear what's included in the update, but we'll update this article should new features be found in the third beta. The update may be focused on bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements.

watchOS 6.1 does work with the Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watch models, which were excluded from the watchOS 6 release.

Apple said that watchOS 6 would come to the older Apple Watch models at a later date, so it's possible watchOS 6.1 will be the first version of watchOS 6 to work with the Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watches.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of watchOS 6.1 to Developers

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Nice to see them moving forward with the next release.

Frankly, I want to keep 6 off of my Series 3 for as long as possible (seems like mostly performance downsides). I woke up to the notice (last weekend) that there wasn't enough space to install 6.xx the on the prior night and I was so thankful for that situation.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Is anyone else getting error messages when trying to install the beta update? It keeps saying “Software Update Failed” each time I try it, maybe I’ll give it a day or two to see if that fixes anything.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
Frankly, I want to keep 6 off of my Series 3 for as long as possible (seems like mostly performance downsides). I woke up to the notice (last weekend) that there wasn't enough space to install 6.xx the on the prior night and I was so thankful for that situation.
I don't have many performance issues on my Series 3, except for occasional (rare!) delay of screen turning on when I lift my wrist.

flexiboy1912

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Is anyone else getting error messages when trying to install the beta update? It keeps saying “Software Update Failed” each time I try it, maybe I’ll give it a day or two to see if that fixes anything.
Mine got so far through the download and then conked out and now keeps saying failed checking for update , either they pulled it or something else wrong.

With all the issues of late best to stay off it I think

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Am I the only one having an issue with Reminders on the Watch. I don't see a way to mirror the iPhone to use the same list as the default. Am I missing something?

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
This is the only thing I’m interested in. I can’t believe Macrumors etc haven’t had a news article on how there’s currently no Siri Shortcuts on either Apple Watch or HomePod. Insane.
Yeah it's incredibly surprising how no outlets made any noise about this. Especially since Apple themselves have released no information about it. They are just hoping people will accept and move on?

Reactions: Braderunner

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
I don’t know what Thermo Watch is. But are you confirming that Siri Shortcuts created in the Shortcuts app are now working on Apple Watch with this update?
Yes. They are for me. I also just tested it with a shortcut for Dark Sky.
The Thermo Watch shortcuts were created in that app. But, they have not been working. Been getting message, "Sorry, shortcuts aren't available on Apple Watch...".
The Dark Sky shortcut was created in the Shortcuts app.
Yeaaahhh! Now, I have to get used to using them on the Watch, again. Been so long...I was starting to get used to their absence from the Watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamG

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
This is how it currently works, I have no issue deleting messages on my watch and that syncing/deleting from my phone.
He wants SMS messages to be deleted from the Watch, AFTER deleting them on the phone. That is not the way it works right now. If you delete an SMS message (not an iMessage) from your phone...it will still be on the Watch, until it is deleted from there.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yes. They are for me. I also just tested it with a shortcut for Dark Sky.
The Thermo Watch shortcuts were created in that app. But, they have not been working. Been getting message, "Sorry, shortcuts aren't available on Apple Watch...".
The Dark Sky shortcut was created in the Shortcuts app.
Yeaaahhh! Now, I have to get used to using them on the Watch, again. Been so long...I was starting to get used to their absence from the Watch.

Yep same error for me on watchOS 6. Glad to hear 6.1 will bring them back, FINALLY.

Computers 4 U LLC

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2017
Kansas City
He wants SMS messages to be deleted from the Watch, AFTER deleting them on the phone. That is not the way it works right now. If you delete an SMS message (not an iMessage) from your phone...it will still be on the Watch, until it is deleted from there.

Pretty sure this is how it works, my phone and watch are constantly in syn with one another. I just deleted an SMS message in both places and it disappeared on the opposite device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.