Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming watchOS 7 beta to developers, two weeks after releasing the third beta and over a month after unveiling watchOS 7 at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

watchOS-Beta.jpg

To install the watchOS 7 beta, developers will need to download the proper configuration profile from the Apple Developer Center. Once the profile is in place, the ‌watchOS 7‌ beta can be downloaded through the dedicated ‌Apple Watch‌ app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

To update to the new software, the ‌Apple Watch‌ needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the ‌iPhone‌. It would be wise to install the beta on a secondary device rather than a primary device as this is an early version of the watchOS software that could have bugs that still need to be addressed.

watchOS 7 brings a new watch face sharing feature that lets you share your watch faces with others through Messages or Mail, the App Store, through websites, or through social Media.

watchos7-1.jpg

There are new Chronograph Pro watch faces, plus a filter option for the Photos face and rich complications for the X-Large face. Developers can now offer more than one complication per app, and Apple has introduced new complications for Shortcuts, Moon phases, the World Clock, and more.

‌watchOS 7‌ introduces a new Sleep Tracking feature for the first time that uses the ‌Apple Watch‌'s accelerometer to detect small movements associated with breathing when asleep. Sleep Tracking provides information on sleep duration and offers a Wind Down feature for helping users get ready for bed to increase sleep times.

watchossleeptimewakeup.jpg

Putting the Apple Watch in Sleep Mode turns on Do Not Disturb and automatically darkens the watch screen while you're sleeping, while an alarm feature uses haptic feedback or gentle sounds to wake you up with a greeting and a weather report.

In addition to Sleep Tracking, Apple also added a new handwashing tracking feature to help people wash their hands for at least 20 seconds. There's a 20-second countdown timer that comes up whenever the ‌Apple Watch‌ detects handwashing motions and sounds, and the Health app will also show the frequency and duration of the user's handwashing.

applewatchhandwashing.jpg

Additional details on the other new features in watchOS 7 can be found in our watchOS 7 roundup.

Update: While watchOS 7 beta 4 is listed as available from the Apple Developer Center, there have been multiple reports from people who do not see the update at all, making it unclear what's going on with the update.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of watchOS 7 to Developers [Updated]

Last edited:

FishyFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
Excellent stability so far, beta 4 is running like a dream in early testing much like all of the watchOS 7 betas so far. Seems like Apple has a hit, I can’t wait to keep digging in to the new build. Complications look great, my watch faces all appear like they should, and notifications are flowing fluidly. Wow!

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Excellent stability so far, beta 4 is running like a dream in early testing much like all of the watchOS 7 betas so far. Seems like Apple has a hit, I can’t wait to keep digging in to the new build. Complications look great, my watch faces all appear like they should, and notifications are flowing fluidly. Wow!
After 10 seconds of testing...o_O:D

phonehead6720

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
Beta not showing up for me in software update. Any tricks to get it to show up? Profile is installed and I reinstalled the profile again just in case. Thanks.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Maybe we need to wait until iOS 14 beta 4 is installed.
Nope, device just finished the update to Beta 4 and still no sign of WatchOS Beta 4. It shows in the developer portal, so it's been "released" just not showing on device for me as of yet.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It showed up for me once my phone was upgraded to iOS 14 beta 4.
Interesting. Maybe this is Apple preventing people from installing the watch beta before the iOS beta. If I remember correctly, wasn't that an issue back with watchOS 6 and iOS 13?

I see it as another step towards a public beta release for the watch. ;)

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I’ve got iOS 14b4 installed and even tried a reboot on my phone and my Watch. Still not seeing any updates.

Reactions: jg321

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
How exciting that developer beta 4 is out, while us regular peasants are still waiting on public beta.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
How exciting that developer beta 4 is out, while us regular peasants are still waiting on public beta.
It may be out, but it's not "out". It's still not showing on device, so either it's later today, or tomorrow, or the guy who flips the switch fell asleep at the wheel.

mvdw84

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Canada
Same here not showing up despite reinstalling profile on both phone (11 Pro Max) and watch (S4) and restarting both devices twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.