Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming watchOS 8.6 beta to developers for testing purposes, with the new software coming a week after the release of the third beta.

watchOS-8-on-Apple-Watch-feature.jpg

To install ‌‌‌watchOS 8‌‌‌.6, developers will need to download the configuration profile from the Apple Developer Center. Once installed, ‌‌‌watchOS 8.6 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General > Software update.

To update to new software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it needs to be in range of the ‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌.

We don't yet know what's included in the watchOS 8.6 update, and no new features have been discovered in the beta so far.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of watchOS 8.6 to Developers

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Wonder what the point of a 8.x release is without anything new.

Possibly something coming at WWDC like the classical music app that will be thrown in at the very end?

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
Is that common to have a .x release for bug fixes? I thought if it was just bug fixes we’d get 8.5.2?
Depends on how much is being fixed. A small number of changes will usually get you a point release, like 15.4.1. But a more substantial number of changes will typically result in a larger version increase, like 15.5.

Reactions: mnsportsgeek

Pcar17

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2018
For what it’s worth, I used to routinely download the watchOS betas to the watch via the Watch app on my iPhone. But I have found that downloading direct to the watch seems to be much faster and a cleaner process as well as I can update the watch and the iPhone at the same time.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Still not showing on my Apple Watch Series 7 yet the new betas for iOS / iPhone appear - very odd indeed. Even when I forced the watch to check for updates - nothing showing.

UPDATE: Software update appeared this morning.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.