MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan update to developers and public beta testers for testing purposes, one week after releasing the third OS X 10.11.6 beta and more than a month since the public release of OS X 10.11.5. OS X 10.11.6 has been in testing since May 23.

The fourth OS X 10.11.6 beta update can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center or the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

elcapitanmacbook-800x463.jpg

OS X 10.11.6, much like OS X 10.11.5 and the El Capitan updates that came before it, focuses mainly on performance improvements and bug fixes instead of obvious outward-facing changes. According to Apple's release notes for earlier betas, the update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of Macs.

No obvious changes or bug fixes were found in the first three betas, but we'll update this post should anything new be discovered in the fourth beta.

Apple has also started testing macOS Sierra, the next-generation Mac operating system set to be released this fall. macOS Sierra includes features like Siri integration, auto unlocking with the Apple Watch, Apple Pay for the web, a new storage optimization feature, and more.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan Beta to Developers and Public Beta Testers

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Doh, fool me once shame on you (checked iPhone running iOS 10 beta 1 after seeing iOS 9.3.3 beta 4 article). Fool me twice, shame on me (checked MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra beta 1 after seeing this article).

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Hmm. I have less hope on getting Sierra today. But hey, we are all good.
Maybe this beta will not restart itself or consumes 100%CPU all the time if calendar app is opened?

Comment

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
kk. we ready for sierra PB! :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:
Not until July as was said in the keynote. It has usually happened not long after the release of DP 3.
[doublepost=1467221344][/doublepost]Looks like MacRumors is still suppressing Mac news into the Mac Blog while watch band shortages make the front page. Seriously MacRumors, get your priorities straight. I'm tired of this.

Comment

jmh600cbr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2012
Not until July as was said in the keynote. It has usually happened not long after the release of DP 3.
[doublepost=1467221344][/doublepost]Looks like MacRumors is still suppressing Mac news into the Mac Blog while watch band shortages make the front page. Seriously MacRumors, get your priorities straight. I'm tired of this.

bruh do i look amateur? i knwo july and DP3 but im jacked up

Comment

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia
Fail, my Mac can't login under any user now. Ugh.

Ditto... It rebooted on initial install and I cold booted the machine, now I am stuck on the password page...

The fan is going crazy and the mouse is super sluggish... First time in years I have has a beta bite me like this.

Last edited:
Comment

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
maybe they fixed iTunes? ?? any type of streaming has been horrible today! I'm on 100mbps fiber too!

I'm partly kidding about the update, fully serious on how iTunes has been horrible today!

Comment

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
bruh do i look amateur? i knwo july and DP3 but im jacked up
I keep scrolling back to this and laughing.

Side note, I was expecting today but ah well. Waiting to see what happens with my 2009 MacBook Pro that's not supposed to have Sierra installed but does.

Reactions: jmh600cbr
Comment

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Are USB devices finally working normally?

It has been problematic since 10.11.0 and there is no way I'm going to install 10.11 unless it is fixed permanently. All devices work normally in Mavericks so it has to be 10.11 driver issue.

I'm also hoping Apple would fix other bugs such as Spotlight can't find files (reindex helps for a few days), Finder, Photos opening instead of Image Capture etc. Sure I can work around these bugs but why bother because they don't exist in Mavericks?

I have reported all of these to Apple after every point release to 10.11 was released and I'm not exactly impressed that none of the bugs have been fixed! :mad:

Reactions: Sanlitun and haddy
Comment

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Maybe they will FINALLY FIX Bluetooth 4.0 before Bluetooth 5.0 and Sierra is released?

I'm not holding my breath. :(

Oh please, if they fixed everything like they should before they released it, you'd get a new OS update every three years.

You know. Like they used to back in the days before OS X.

Comment

MacGizmo

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Oh please, if they fixed everything like they should before they released it, you'd get a new OS update every three years.
You know. Like they used to back in the days before OS X.
I agree Apple could take more care in releasing more stable updates. But let's not pretend that the previous Mac OS was stable by any stretch of the imagination. It was an awful mess. The only thing it was better at than OS X of today was being "snappy" with Finder operations (window opening, etc.)

Comment

rgranger

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Houston
Fail, my Mac can't login under any user now. Ugh.
My 10.11.6 beta on Imac did the same thing. I had a spare admin user so I could delete the user (keep the profile and disk folder) and then recreate old user. Something got buggered up bad. I would get the login prompt but just get the beachball after that. Always have a spare admin or root account!

Comment

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
My 10.11.6 beta on Imac did the same thing. I had a spare admin user so I could delete the user (keep the profile and disk folder) and then recreate old user. Something got buggered up bad. I would get the login prompt but just get the beachball after that. Always have a spare admin or root account!

I couldn't log in with any of my users, and most were admin. I ended up hooking up an external hd with OS X on it and went into Disk Utility and used First Aid on the drive. All was up and running fine after that.

Comment

mossy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Ireland
The more versions Apple adds to El Capitan, the better. I can't see myself updating to Sierra right after it's getting released, maybe after 2 or 3 months.

True true.

I am finally happy with how El Capitan is running now. It is a great OS.

Comment

Belgique

macrumors member
May 6, 2016
Ocala, Floridah

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan update to developers and public beta testers for testing purposes, one week after releasing the third OS X 10.11.6 beta and more than a month since the public release of OS X 10.11.5. OS X 10.11.6 has been in testing since May 23.

The fourth OS X 10.11.6 beta update can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center or the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

elcapitanmacbook-800x463.jpg

OS X 10.11.6, much like OS X 10.11.5 and the El Capitan updates that came before it, focuses mainly on performance improvements and bug fixes instead of obvious outward-facing changes. According to Apple's release notes for earlier betas, the update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of Macs.

No obvious changes or bug fixes were found in the first three betas, but we'll update this post should anything new be discovered in the fourth beta.

Apple has also started testing macOS Sierra, the next-generation Mac operating system set to be released this fall. macOS Sierra includes features like Siri integration, auto unlocking with the Apple Watch, Apple Pay for the web, a new storage optimization feature, and more.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan Beta to Developers and Public Beta Testers
I hope that the new OS gives people the right...yes, the right to "right click" in order to delete anything....I find it profoundly stupid that Apple has always gone out of its way to prevent you from deleting what you want....submit a jpeg in Apple mail...then try to delete it......submit a photo on Facebook PM then change your mind and see if you can delete it.

Comment

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
The more versions Apple adds to El Capitan, the better. I can't see myself updating to Sierra right after it's getting released, maybe after 2 or 3 months.

Same here. I'm so happy with El Capitan that I don't intend to go to Sierra until it hits a 10.12.3 at least. A 5 month wait I guess.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.