Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming watchOS 9 update to its public beta testing group, allowing non-developers to experience the new watch software ahead of its fall release. The new beta comes a week after the third beta, and it corresponds to the sixth developer beta that was released yesterday.

watchOS-9-Feature.jpg

The watchOS 9 update can be downloaded after upgrading your iPhone to the public beta version of iOS 16. After installing iOS 16, the proper watchOS 9 profile from Apple's beta software website must also be installed.

The software can be accessed by going to General > Software Update in the Apple Watch app on iPhone. To update, ‌Apple Watch‌ needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌iPhone.

watchOS 9 expands the sleep tracking feature to add sleep stages, allowing the watch to track when users are in REM Core, or Deep sleep, plus it supports a Medications app for managing and getting reminders for medications, vitamins, and supplements.

There are four new watch faces, including Lunar, Playtime, Metropolitan, and Astronomy, and the ECG app supports AFib History for tracking how long a person has been in atrial fibrillation.

Custom workouts have been added to the Workout app, and there are fitness improvements for runners, triathletes, and swimmers. Other new features include a CallKit API that allows VOIP calls to be answered on Apple Watch, Apple Watch Mirroring for controlling the Apple Watch with an ‌iPhone‌, Quick Actions for doing more with a double pinch gesture, and updates to the Reminders and Calendar apps.

More on everything that's new in the watchOS 9 update can be found in our dedicated watchOS 9 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth watchOS 9 Public Beta

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
The watch faces are still as boring as the day the watch came out. Give us OPTIONS Apple!
Yeah, I really think they should do some collaborations with some brands and app developers or something. Like, I used a WearOS several years back, and the vast majority of watch faces you could download were... not aesthetically pleasing. I understand the reticence to open it up completely, but a few new options once or twice a year isn't really cutting it.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2021
Yeah, I really think they should do some collaborations with some brands and app developers or something. Like, I used a WearOS several years back, and the vast majority of watch faces you could download were... not aesthetically pleasing. I understand the reticence to open it up completely, but a few new options once or twice a year isn't really cutting it.
Not aesthetically pleasing to some, but aren’t we in the “freedom” era?

hagjohn

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I really think they should do some collaborations with some brands and app developers or something. Like, I used a WearOS several years back, and the vast majority of watch faces you could download were... not aesthetically pleasing. I understand the reticence to open it up completely, but a few new options once or twice a year isn't really cutting it
I do not really think the majority of the Apple Watch faces are all that aesthetically pleasing and would never use them.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2022
Agreed, the watch faces could use much more variety and features. However, that was true for Fitbit years ago when I had a “Charge 2” and it never kept me from enjoying the conveniences of the device. Same for Apple Watch for me, now, I would enjoy more watch faces, but it’s low on the list of important improvements for me, like battery life. Maybe my enjoyment of both devices comes from keeping pretty low / basic expectations.

Reactions: sorgo

everlast3434

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2019
Cabbage
For sure! Collabs, approved devs, something!

Reactions: AirunJae and sorgo

txb0115

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
If a lack of watch faces annoys anyone that much, they need to evaluate their lives.

Would I like more faces with a little better customization?

Sure.

Does the lack of those affect my life in any measurable way? No. I’m able to use my watch just fine.

ZzapDK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
Strange…mine updated without issue (also on newest 16 beta/Series 6). Perhaps try a full restart of phone and/or watch?
Disabled/re-enabled Wi-Fi and BT first without effect, then restarted both devices and still nothing

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo

thalegold

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2021
Same old thing. YAWWWWN. So bored of the watch. The watch faces are okay but nothing to run out and get excited about. Some of them are quite stupid honestly. This may turn out to be the first time I buy a Samsung instead.

terrapinjess

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Once they add an option to make the watch hands go opaque as they pass over the complications… so y’know… they don’t get covered/blocked… I’ll be happy. That annoys the crap out of me with the most useful face: Infograph. The watch hands are constantly covering information rendering that information useless.

ZzapDK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
Disabled/re-enabled Wi-Fi and BT first without effect, then restarted both devices and still nothing
ok, perhaps it has been some kind of throttling from server side?
I just launched the Watch app again, and it went directly to "Verifying" and now "Installing..."

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
So, how stable is this beta? I'm doing a triathlon tomorrow and thought about giving it a try.

ZzapDK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
I would never install a beta on a device that I *need* to use, as you will probably run into issues sooner or later.
Having said that, it seems to work fine on mine

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
I would never install a beta on a device that I *need* to use, as you will probably run into issues sooner or later.
Having said that, it seems to work fine on mine
Yeah, I decided to not do it. But apart from that who *needs* the Apple watch? Anything beyond convenience can also be done with the iPhone. And the iPhone you can downgrade to the lastest stable iOS, you sadly can't do that with watchOS. In the past I often did install iOS betas on my one and only iPhone. Yes, sometimes I had issues, like the phone turning off from now and then or getting hot or some Apps not working properly. But you can work with that or downgrade again.
So if you are interested and prepared to work around some potential issues do it.

ZzapDK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
who *needs* the Apple watch?
Yeah, it was also more a question of how would you feel if your device(s) failed you during your triathlon. If that wasn't an issue, then I'd go ahead. I have installed the beta on my iphone, watch and ipad and for me - if something failed - I'm sure it'd be fixed eventually

Reactions: Juuro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.