Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the release candidate version of an upcoming macOS Sonoma 14.5 update to developers, with the software coming a week after Apple released the fourth beta.

sonoma-desktop-wwdc.jpg

Registered developers can opt in to the beta through the Software Update section of the System Settings app. Note that an Apple ID associated with an Apple Developer account is required to get the beta.

We don't yet know what is included in macOS Sonoma 14.5, and no new features were found in the first four developer betas.

Article Link: Apple Seeds macOS Sonoma 14.5 Release Candidate to Developers

Reactions: danbuter

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Well this showed up at 10:10 am, and OTA was available not that long after. It was a 2 GB download. The download and prep was usual speed. The install was really quick this time. So far very sold operation.

FaceTime​

Resolved Issues​

• Fixed: Users might not be able to approve or decline a FaceTime link call because notifications might not be received on the caller side for them to accept or decline the call. (125617787)

Mac (Designed for iPad) Apps​

Resolved Issues​

• Fixed: macOS might launch the wrong version for (Designed for iPad) apps after double clicking the icon or after building from Xcode. (121404522)
Apple doesn’t divulge any security patches before the 14.5 public release occurs. I expect this to go public on Monday May 13th with everything else.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
To Devs and also PB testers
  • iOS 17.5 RC (21F79) - May 7, 2024
  • iPadOS 17.5 RC (21F79) - May 7, 2024
  • macOS 14.5 RC (23F79) - May 9, 2024
  • tvOS 17.5 RC (21L569) - May 7, 2024
  • visionOS 1.2 beta 5 (21O5587a) - May 7, 2024
  • watchOS 10.5 RC 2 (21T576) - May 8, 2024
Comparison of 14.5 RC to 14.5 beta 4

macOS 14.5 RC (23F79)
  • Safari Version 17.5 (19618.2.12.11.6)
  • System Firmware Version: 10151.121.1 (M1 based Macs)
  • Darwin Kernel Version 23.5.0: Wed May 1 20:16:51 PDT 2024; root:xnu-10063.121.3~5/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 arm64
macOS 14.5 beta 4 (23F5074a)
  • Safari Version 17.5 (19618.2.12.11.4)
  • System Firmware Version: 10151.121.1 (M1 based Macs)
  • Darwin Kernel Version 23.5.0: Wed Apr 24 21:23:50 PDT 2024; root:xnu-10063.121.3~3/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 arm64
Apple Music/TV is still 1.4.5.36 no change

eas

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2005
I wonder if it fixes the issues with Spotlight growing laggy that came with 14.4 or 14.4.1

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Thats what I expect. ;)
I installed the RC of watchOS and iOS. Do you recommend to install the RC of macOS on main home computer as well (is the RC likely the version to be released next week?) or better wait for public release as generally speaking, macOS is more complex?

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I installed the RC of watchOS and iOS. Do you recommend to install the RC of macOS on main home computer as well (is the RC likely the version to be release next week?) or better wait for public release as generally speaking, macOS is more complex?
Just backup your Mac then install the RC, this late nothing will change before Monday. Running solid on (2) AS Macs.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
I wonder if it fixes the issues with Spotlight growing laggy that came with 14.4 or 14.4.1
No, it doesn’t because there isn't a problem to begin with. If spotlight is laggy on your system then you need to troubleshoot it instead of waiting for Apple to fix something that doesn’t need fixing.

Rebuild your Spotlight index. When your Spotlight search is glitchy, lagging, or refusing to work, sometimes, a quick rebuild is the best option; here's how to do it: From the main Apple menu, go to System Settings > Siri & Spotlight. Click the Spotlight Privacy button at the bottom of the page. Delete the volume, then add it back. The Spotlight database will be rebuilt for that volume.

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
I installed the RC of watchOS and iOS. Do you recommend to install the RC of macOS on main home computer as well (is the RC likely the version to be released next week?) or better wait for public release as generally speaking, macOS is more complex?
Generally, the only thing that stops a release candidate from being fully released is a catastrophic bug.

So if you’re not prepared to potentially deal with that type of bug, you shouldn’t install a release candidate on any platform.

Reactions: Benz63amg

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Generally, the only thing that stops a release candidate from being fully released is a catastrophic bug.

So if you’re not prepared to potentially deal with that type of bug, you shouldn’t install a release candidate on any platform.
Most last minute instances are related to last moment security patches, or a compile error with the installer.

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
(is the RC likely the version to be released next week?) or better wait for public release as generally speaking, macOS is more complex?
The clue is in the name "Release Candidate". It's the version that they plan to release to the public, and they will only alter it if some serious or significant problem is discovered in time.

As 14.4 showed, there's no guarantee that catastrophic bugs don't end up in the final public release anyway. 14.5 fixes a kernel panic that is triggered in some audio software, introduced in 14.4.

Last edited:

ScooterComputer

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
No, it doesn’t because there isn't a problem to begin with.
Sigh. This is just false… there have been multiple reports of Spotlight issues cropping up reported over past releases of macOS… none of which have been specifically remediated or disclosed. Considering that Spotlight index corruption has been a known significant issue for years, sometimes getting officially “resolved” and sometimes not even being acknowledged, to imply that Spotlight issues are all in a user’s head is asinine. Database corruption is less likely caused by cosmic rays and much more likely due to stupid bugs in faulty data scanners, and Spotlight has proven that Apple can surely make really stupid coding errors.

If spotlight is laggy on your system then you need to troubleshoot it instead of waiting for Apple to fix something that doesn’t need fixing.
Then you go on to tell the user to “troubleshoot” the issue … but provide NO INSTRUCTION how to do that! Instead, you provide instructions on how to completely nuke the Spotlight indexes and pray whatever triggered the index corruption doesn’t trigger it again. “Bang your head against the wall harder and more frequently, maybe that will resolve your headache!” I’m guessing you didn’t provide “troubleshooting” steps because there AREN’T any, which is 99% of the problem with these Spotlight issues from the start. Apple is so consumed by hubris that they’ve deigned to not provide any sensible tools to elucidate what’s going on within Spotlight when it starts malfunctioning.

I’ve worked over half-a-dozen Spotlight issues with Apple over the years, and I can testify that problems almost always won’t get fully resolved with minor macOS versions. So… if you’re experiencing Spotlight performance issues or indexing failures, don’t expect it to get better until October. And if it doesn’t get better then, you’ll likely be waiting another year. Welcome to Spotlight, can be combative.

Reactions: TheLunaPark

Lihto

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2017
Hope they fix bug with optimised battery charging... on 14.4.1 battery goes 79,78%, version before holded it on 80%.. I dont know does it matter...

On M1 macbook air

alexanderlindo

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2023
Is the QuickTime screen mirror crash fixed in this release. For those unaware there is a serious literal show stopping bug that has been in macOS Sonoma since its introduction, whereby video playback via QuickTime on Apple Silicon based MacBooks while connected to an external monitor in Mirrored mode causes the entire OS to freeze and become unresponsive, audio will continue to playback but all visual will be frozen. The user then has to hold down on the power button to forcibly shut down the MacBook. I have been personally having this issue on my M1 MacBook Air since installing Sonoma. I and others have reported the bug to Apple and have been patiently awaiting a fix, but so far no such luck. I have been holding out until the official release of macOS Sonoma 14.5 before re-installing macOS Ventura (which ran flawlessly) and sticking with that until a few months after the next version of macOS is released.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Is the QuickTime screen mirror crash fixed in this release. For those unaware there is a serious literal show stopping bug that has been in macOS Sonoma since its introduction, whereby video playback via QuickTime on Apple Silicon based MacBooks while connected to an external monitor in Mirrored mode causes the entire OS to freeze and become unresponsive, audio will continue to playback but all visual will be frozen. The user then has to hold down on the power button to forcibly shut down the MacBook. I have been personally having this issue on my M1 MacBook Air since installing Sonoma. I and others have reported the bug to Apple and have been patiently awaiting a fix, but so far no such luck. I have been holding out until the official release of macOS Sonoma 14.5 before re-installing macOS Ventura (which ran flawlessly) and sticking with that until a few months after the next version of macOS is released.
certainly sounds like a serious bug, i haven't installed the RC nor do i use an external display so i can't perform the test on my end but hopefully it was fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.