Apple Seeds New iOS 12.1.3 Beta to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded a new beta of an upcoming iOS 12.1.3 update to developers, just a few days releasing iOS 12.1.2, an update that focused on bug fixes for the eSIM feature and changed certain iPhone features in China after a Chinese court found that some iPhones infringe on Qualcomm patents.

Registered developers can download the new iOS 12.1.3 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

[​IMG]

The iOS 12.1.3 beta actually includes the same content that was destined for the iOS 12.1.2 beta, and it appears to be labeled as a second beta rather than a first beta. When Apple released iOS 12.1.2, it featured a build number of 16C101, while the first iOS 12.1.2 beta released for developers had a later 16D build number.

Apple appears to have tweaked iOS 12.1.2 to include some emergency bug fixes and the aforementioned software changes in China, rushing the update out and pushing content originally planned for iOS 12.1.2 to iOS 12.1.3 instead.

Apple was forced to push iOS 12.1.2 out earlier than expected after a Chinese court decided on December 10 that Apple's iPhone 6s through iPhone X infringed on two Qualcomm patents related to resizing and reformatting photos for wallpaper and the app switcher.

The court enacted a preliminary sales ban on the iPhone, leading Apple to make tweaks to the iOS software in China. Apple changed the way apps close when you swipe up on an open app from the app switcher, and it tweaked the share sheet interaction for setting contact and wallpaper images.

Apple has not stopped selling its iPhones in China, despite protests from Qualcomm, and it has said that it is in compliance with the court's preliminary order.

iOS 12.1.3 will mark the fourth update to iOS 12. We don't yet know what features are included, and no major changes were found in the original iOS 12.1.2 beta that was the precursor to iOS 12.1.3. As a 12.x.x update, iOS 12.1.3 likely focuses on minor changes, bug fixes, and operating system tweaks.

If we find anything new in the iOS 12.1.3 beta, we'll update this post.

Update: Apple has made the new beta of iOS 12.1.3 available to public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds New iOS 12.1.3 Beta to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

2. viettanium macrumors regular

3. cmaier macrumors G4

It’s the second beta of what was 12.1.2 before 12.1.2 got renumbered to 12.1.3 due to the emergency 12.1.2 release yesterday

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

With iOS 12 being a "Snow Leopard"-ish iOS release, with some tentpole features but focused mostly on improving performance and stability, I wonder if we will get any major new features on 12.2 or 12.3 releases.

5. AgentOSX macrumors member

AgentOSX

I hope the fix the iTunes bug. iTunes pass stopped updating and 12.1.2 won’t allow you to re-add a deleted iTunes Pass to Wallet.

6. JMPATLANTA macrumors member

anyone seeing the Beta profile being available from the developer portal?

7. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

No, for me just IPSW files.

8. smulji macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. All the more reason to expect iOS 13 to be a very big release

9. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

iOS 13 must be good cos iOS 12 is such a boring release

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

At the same time "boring" usually means more stable and better overall.

11. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Can be but it’s getting out dated compared to its biggest competitor in features and look and feel.

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Which is fairly subjective. We can see how all went down in the days of iOS 6 and then iOS 7. Something like that is likely to happen again in the near future of major iOS releases when Apple updates the design (or essentially redesigns). That said, it's kind of neither here nor there in the scope of this particular thread.

13. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Completely subjective.

14. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Not boring, it's the best version of iOS ever. Fast, fluid, and very few major bugs (at of 12.1.2).

That's subjective. For example, I hate Samsung's One UI and stock Android is boring and ugly (yes, I know you can customize it but that's extra effort).

15. ToM7 macrumors 6502

ToM7

So 12.2 will never come, ha?
    apple is holding everything to iOS 13?

16. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Why? We are only in December with iOS 12 only having been released just 3 months ago.

17. bwcw macrumors member

No I only see the restore files. Any ideas why?

18. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I’m glad iOS 12 is iterative. Apple made iOS much more stable which is all that was needed.

19. Boxscar505 macrumors newbie

Boxscar505

It definitely fixed the text tone bug!

20. MikeSmoke macrumors regular

Stability and performance over new features. Especially for devices that will not be supported by future iOS versions. Many have learned that lesson the hard way.

21. Pacman72 macrumors newbie

Pacman72

Same am I missing something here ??

The other seeded updates for tvOS macOS and watchOS worked with the profiles I have installed already

upload_2018-12-20_9-34-5.png

22. Pruus macrumors member

Pruus

And stil no Bluetooth-sign in the topbar... What a Joke...

23. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Don’t think tgst will be there, ever.

24. timmywa macrumors newbie

timmywa

Still seeing the same issue where the signal strength indicator doesn't change on CarPlay on my XS. I feel like the actual LTE performance has improved a bit... But still annoyed by the lack of updated signal strength.

25. spezaled macrumors newbie

spezaled

I had the same issue. I had to reinstall the profile for it to show up.