Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded ninth beta of an upcoming tvOS 13 update to developers, one week after seeding the eighth beta and more than two months after unveiling the tvOS 13 software at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 13 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvos13-800x490.jpg

tvOS 13 introduces an updated Home screen aimed at making it easier to discover new content. Apps are now able to play full-screen video previews on the Home screen, similar to Netflix.

Multi-user support is available for the first time, letting more than one profile exist on the Apple TV so each family member can have their own customized Apple TV interface with separate recommendations, music playlists, and Watch Now lists.

Switching between profiles can be done with the new Control Center, which offers up profiles, the time and date, search, a Now Playing widget, AirPlay controls, and a sleep option.

tvOS 13 gets the Apple TV ready for Apple Arcade, Apple's new gaming service that's coming to the Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS later this year. Apple Arcade will offer unlimited access to more than 100 new and exclusive games, for one subscription fee.

As part of the Apple Arcade preparations, Apple has implemented support for the Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Controller and the PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller, both of which can be connected to an Apple TV over Bluetooth.

There are new under the sea themed screensavers created in partnership with the BBC Natural History Unit, which also created "Blue Planet." There's also a new Picture-in-Picture feature. Picture-in-Picture lets you continue to watch TV shows or movies while using a different app, adjusting settings, or otherwise navigating through the tvOS 13 operating system.

tvos13pictureinpicture-800x428.jpg

tvOS 13 is available to registered developers and public beta testers at this time and will see an official public launch this fall alongside iOS 13, iPadOS, macOS Catalina, and watchOS 6.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Ninth Beta of Upcoming tvOS 13 Update to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
Why do they call it “seed” instead of “release?” You can release betas. Is it just to sound fancy, to make an Apple/fruit pun, or both?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Why do they call it “seed” instead of “release?” You can release betas. Is it just to sound fancy, to make an Apple/fruit pun, or both?

Maybe you seed to a select group but release is for all?
[doublepost=1567622544][/doublepost]Also, I really hate the PiP graphic they use. each time I see it, I forget what that is since there isn't a great subject in the screenshot

KrispE00

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2016
Maybe you seed to a select group but release is for all?
[doublepost=1567622544][/doublepost]Also, I really hate the PiP graphic they use. each time I see it, I forget what that is since there isn't a great subject in the screenshot

It’s a weird place to put the PiP icon too. It should probably be in the lower right corner because that’s where the picture is minimized to.

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
It’s a weird place to put the PiP icon too. It should probably be in the lower right corner because that’s where the picture is minimized to.
I rarely see the PiP icon. Is this only available to Apple supplied videos or is this a feature that can be added by third party providers?

sandler77

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
I rarely see the PiP icon. Is this only available to Apple supplied videos or is this a feature that can be added by third party providers?

It shows up when you start media in the AppleTV app. If you watch the same movie or tv show from those apps, no PIP icon at all.

Reactions: grobik

NtDs90

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2015
Apple just get the NFL. And see if it can be set up like MLB.TV or the NHL app. The current NFL app sucks. AppleTV+ would then be worth the cost to me. The only show that I see maybe worth watching on ATV+ so far is Space Snoopy. So get the NFL!

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
Will install later but does user switching work correctly yet? That’s a headline feature.

I have to force quit Music or TV after switching users to get content to update. And yes I did file a bug report a long time ago.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I haven't installed yet (I only got the news this morning after I left). Can anyone try and see if this update fixes pairing with a pair of Home Pods in stereo? Or even better, stereo Home Pods with the WWE Network?

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
Will install later but does user switching work correctly yet? That’s a headline feature.

I have to force quit Music or TV after switching users to get content to update. And yes I did file a bug report a long time ago.
Just installed and YES this finally works, it says ‘Switching User’ when in Music or TV app now and the content is refreshed.

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
It shows up when you start media in the AppleTV app. If you watch the same movie or tv show from those apps, no PIP icon at all.
It doesn’t for a local TV app and HBO here on my ATV in Sweden. It happens tho in a rented movie from ATV. The feature was unexpected and cumbersome since I found it to be annoyingly pointless and difficult to get it to full screen again...
I agree on the position of that feature: it may definitely be out of the way instead of so centrally placed.

On another note, I hope that the controller behaves, since the thing is super buggy. I already dislike the incomprehensible form vs function, and after starting the beta program, it is often disconnected, lagging, showing double drop down menus for sound and subtitles...
[doublepost=1567701484][/doublepost]
Just installed and YES this finally works, it says ‘Switching User’ when in Music or TV app now and the content is refreshed.
Indeed! Stock apps do, which is great. But I assume that 3rd party apps need updates to incorporate the feature. To me it seems that watching through Apple TV app, this feature is semi integrated, which is surprising. I mean: 3rd party watched stuff swaps within Apple TV app as you swap user, analogue to Music, contrary to inside the individual 3rd party apps, where you seem to be in one user as in pre-iOS13.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.