Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Could someone enable dark mode and under accessibility, check "Increase contrast", and tell me if the wifi menu is usable?
Yes, it's fine since the previous build. I reported that about 2 months ago as well (together with the similar issue with spotlight search) and it's finally somewhat usable (spotlight as well). The menu bar icon still needs some tweaking in my opinion (it's almost invisible when you aren't connected to any network), but the menu itself is finally readable.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Please, Apple, let this fix the WiFi disconnects finally on my 5K iMac -> AC Time Capsule on 5Ghz. It's still driving me nuts on the previous 10.10.2 build.

Here goes the reboot for installation...

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Please, Apple, let this fix the WiFi disconnects finally on my 5K iMac -> AC Time Capsule on 5Ghz. It's still driving me nuts on the previous 10.10.2 build.

It fixed my Personal Hotspot issue from the previous build, so I'm happy :D

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Yes, it's fine since the previous build. I reported that about 2 months ago as well (together with the similar issue with spotlight search) and it's finally somewhat usable (spotlight as well). The menu bar icon still needs some tweaking in my opinion (it's almost invisible when you aren't connected to any network), but the menu itself is finally readable.

Screenshot:

Sweet, thank you guys.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Do some PDFs still cause Preview (and the whole system) to slow to a crawl? Do USB drives connected to an AirPort Extreme still disconnect? Does it still append numbers - e.g. MacBook Pro (4) - to the system name? Is WiFi still spotty on some networks?

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
I see the path bar in System Information still isn't fixed...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 7.49.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 7.49.50 PM.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 366

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009

Luckily the previous build seems to have fixed my WiFi issues on my MacBook Pro Retina 13" and 15". Sucks that people are still having issues. I will be staying on the current build that I have because it seems to be working for the things I need it to. Last thing I need is to update only to have Apple break a few more things while trying to fix the old stuff. Fingers crossed that your issues get fixed too.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Luckily the previous build seems to have fixed my WiFi issues on my MacBook Pro Retina 13" and 15". Sucks that people are still having issues. I will be staying on the current build that I have because it seems to be working for the things I need it to. Last thing I need is to update only to have Apple break a few more things while trying to fix the old stuff. Fingers crossed that your issues get fixed too.

It's so intermittent that it takes time to even know if it's fixed. I updated my Mac mini 2012 to Yosemite and started having wifi disconnects, too, which was MEGA annoying since my mini is headless. So I'd have to get an HDMI cable to connect it to a monitor to fix it...(I hate hard-rebooting systems unless absolutely necessary). I wiped Yosemite off the mini and put back Mavericks and haven't had a single issue since. Wish I could do the same on my 5K iMac!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It's so intermittent that it takes time to even know if it's fixed. I updated my Mac mini 2012 to Yosemite and started having wifi disconnects, too, which was MEGA annoying since my mini is headless. So I'd have to get an HDMI cable to connect it to a monitor to fix it...(I hate hard-rebooting systems unless absolutely necessary). I wiped Yosemite off the mini and put back Mavericks and haven't had a single issue since. Wish I could do the same on my 5K iMac!

A headless mini over Wi-Fi? Not the best idea for sure, mine is covered in the event of a Wi-Fi disconnect with TB Bridge. It also greatly reduces lag while screen sharing, that's the main plus.

Sorry to hear about all the Wi-Fi problems on your 5K iMac, mine running 10.10.1 has been quite stable over Wi-Fi. Yes, two different network configurations and I'm sure that makes a huge difference.

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
Still can't pair with my iPhone or back up to Airport extreme. Apple's quality control is getting to be a clown show.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
A headless mini over Wi-Fi? Not the best idea for sure, mine is covered in the event of a Wi-Fi disconnect with TB Bridge. It also greatly reduces lag while screen sharing, that's the main plus.

Sorry to hear about all the Wi-Fi problems on your 5K iMac, mine running 10.10.1 has been quite stable over Wi-Fi. Yes, two different network configurations and I'm sure that makes a huge difference.

My mini is a media server. It's been on 24/7 since 2012 with nary a reboot except for an occasional software update - over wifi. I can't directly connect it to my router, and over wifi it's been 100% rock solid (aside from the brief Yosemite install incident). I have a fit HDMI adapter plugged in so I get full GPU power - an issue since I screen share a LOT, and without an adapter to fool the GPU into thinking it's connected to a monitor the lag etc is awful.

Again, working perfectly for over 2 years.

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
I couldn't wait for the update any longer and I moved back to Mavericks.
I didn't have any WiFi issues, but the interface lagged (even with transparency off), and in general all tasks were slower. Additionally, Airplay was randomly dropping connection and it had compatibility issues with a few important for me apps. I don't even want to mention Spotlight...

It's sad for me to say (after 8 years of using Macs), but Yosemite is a new Windows where only a restart (at least once per day) improve things for a while :(.

Ironically, Windows seems to be the new OSX in terms of stability and system response, - it is just a bit ugly to my taste.
Perhaps they will address that issue as well some day...

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I'm not trying to bag on anyone here. But all the complaining about Yosemite makes me wonder if it's just the users, not the OS.

I have several Macs running Yosemite. No Finder slowness, no Mail issues, no Safari crashing, no WiFi disconnects, no Preview slow-downs with PDFs (though I generally use Acrobat), no Bluetooth disconnect issues.

The only issue I have with Yosemite is the Notification icon disappearing from the menubar—and I KNOW that it's due to a conflict with Bartender app.

Most all of the Macs I own are maxed out on RAM and have SSD drives, so I suppose that could be a reason. I also don't run any sort of disk utilities or 'cleaning' apps. In general, I don't run a lot of background apps either.

The point is, why do so many not have any issues, and so few do?

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I'm not trying to bag on anyone here. But all the complaining about Yosemite makes me wonder if it's just the users, not the OS.

I have several Macs running Yosemite. No Finder slowness, no Mail issues, no Safari crashing, no WiFi disconnects, no Preview slow-downs with PDFs (though I generally use Acrobat), no Bluetooth disconnect issues.

The only issue I have with Yosemite is the Notification icon disappearing from the menubar—and I KNOW that it's due to a conflict with Bartender app.

Most all of the Macs I own are maxed out on RAM and have SSD drives, so I suppose that could be a reason. I also don't run any sort of disk utilities or 'cleaning' apps. In general, I don't run a lot of background apps either.

I have always been on board with Betas and everything.
I never complained and always understood what beta means.

Yosemite is the first OS to have had WI FI issues for me. Not that spectacular. simply disconnecting every 3-5 minutes and reconnecting again.
A little bit annoying...

This update seems very stable in terms of WIFI.

I cannot understand what could I have done as a user to screw that up? :)
I understand though other complains may be user related indeed.

Overall I am having issues in terms of design but nothing more than too much eye candy tires my eyes a lot. Disabling them makes an ugly GUI for me. So I deal with it.

I think overall the OS feels stable. Never had any major issue.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Have given up thinking handoff is ever going to work reliably. iPad fine, iPhone 6 rarely shows the icon in OSX dock (always works Mac to iPhone though), Mac haphazardly finds iPhone for Airdrop (wish that worked 100% of the time) and the automatic hotspot on my iPhone shows in OSX about 10% of the time.

Apple, It just doesn't work.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
simply disconnecting every 3-5 minutes and reconnecting again. A little bit annoying...
That's EXTREMELY annoying, if you ask me.

I cannot understand what could I have done as a user to screw that up? :)
Unless you install a 100% clean copy of Yosemite (erase your HD and install EVERYTHING fresh - no copying over preferences, etc.) there is a TON of reasons something can go wrong. It's not necessarily your fault, but it's not simply the OS is broken. Apple cannot test for every possible app and configuration. There's bound to be some conflicts here and there. But you can limit potential issues by understanding what apps do, and limiting the use of various apps to begin with.

Overall I am having issues in terms of design but nothing more than too much eye candy tires my eyes a lot. Disabling them makes an ugly GUI for me. So I deal with it.
Well there's no pleasing everyone. I'm sure at one point you liked the GUI of OS X. But at whatever point that was, I guarantee you there was someone who didn't. Sometimes we're the windshield, sometimes the bug. ;)

Personally, I love the flatter, more muted Yosemite GUI. I've even made the Finder window toolbars semi-transparent to further 'mute' them.

davidb8

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2013
AirPlay to Apple TV 3 is laggy as hell after updating to 10.10.2!

Was fine until I updated

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014

Couldn't agree more. I have two systems and one being a base 5k and all are running excellently with Yosemite. The last beta is no different.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009

I'm sure some users are complaining for the sake of complaining. However, I've noticed a drastic drop in quality from release to release with Yosemite. The latest prerelease has my fan running for no reason. Checked CPU, etc. and they're all within normal operation. Restarted, rest PRAM, etc. and no change.

Apple's QA has dropped off significantly [IMO] since Jobs left. I'd prefer a bi-annual release of major releases if they could just release one solid OS after another. Continues, I'll go LINUX.

heartsglory

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2005
I'm sure some users are complaining for the sake of complaining. However, I've noticed a drastic drop in quality from release to release with Yosemite. The latest prerelease has my fan running for no reason. Checked CPU, etc. and they're all within normal operation. Restarted, rest PRAM, etc. and no change.

Apple's QA has dropped off significantly [IMO] since Jobs left. I'd prefer a bi-annual release of major releases if they could just release one solid OS after another. Continues, I'll go LINUX.

I don't have that luxury. I am a web developer and own a business doing such. Everything is invested in OSX. There are no replacements for Photoshop or Pixelmator in Linux. There are no professional web development environments in Linux. It's either OSX or MS Windows. I DO agree, however, that since Jobs passed, the quality of the OS has fallen significantly. I would encourage Apple to STOP chasing the market and go back to BEING the market.

That being said, I have had no issues in Yosemite other than in 10.10 I had some wifi issues. 10.10.1 my wifi issues seem to subside. I have an iMac Mid 2011. It works just fine for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.