Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming tvOS 14.3 update to developers for testing purposes, one week after the release of the third beta.

appletv4k2.jpg

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 14.3 developer beta can be downloaded onto the ‌‌‌‌‌‌Apple TV‌‌‌‌‌‌ via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

Other than new releases, tvOS updates are often minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. There's no word yet on what's included in tvOS 14.3 update, but we'll update this article should anything new be found.

Though we don't often know what's new in tvOS during the beta testing process, we let MacRumors readers know when new updates are available so those who are developers can download it upon release.

Apple's tvOS 14 update brought expanded Picture in Picture support, new HomeKit integration with HomeKit Secure Video cameras, support for multiple Apple Arcade profiles, and more, with details available in our tvOS 14 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds RC Version of tvOS 14.3 Update to Developers

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I don’t know why it’s so hard for Apple to give anything specific about tvOS updates. I’m sure most of the changes are underlying shared iOS code but they could still itemize some specifics.

Reactions: srbNYC and pizzzle
Comment

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I don’t know why it’s so hard for Apple to give anything specific about tvOS updates. I’m sure most of the changes are underlying shared iOS code but they could still itemize some specifics.
I assume its all about working with AirPods Max and Apple Fitness+
But until we jump to 2021 and see the next tvOS for that 6th generation all we do is see providing support outside the main purpose of Apple TV. ;)

Comment

parfy

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
Cardiff
All I want is for PS5 controllers to work. I bought 2 to use with Apple Arcade (after someone posted they work). Sigh.
What’s the benefit over getting PS4 controllers? You aren’t getting any of the new features those controllers offer on Apple TV?

Comment

Bremse

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2020
I’m in somewhat of the same boat. I bought a couple of new Xbox controllers to use with Apple Arcade but they are not supported yet. I bought them because they were on sale and didn’t realize there was a difference between old and new controllers. They may be going back thanks to extended holiday return policies if there’s no support for them by the middle of January.

Comment

srbNYC

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
At this point, I wish they'd come up with even some token tweaks/improvements, just to make it feel like they're paying attention to all us Apple TV purchasers. I'd love an option for smaller icons on the Home Screen that fit more on fewer rows with less scrolling. And I'd just appreciate a refreshed experience.

Comment

RoTAM

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
I'm hoping they fix the 14.2 bug which broke Sonos speakers via Airplay. Prior to 14.2 I had no issues :(
Yeah audio has definitely been a big problem since 14.0. Fingers crossed Dolby Digital 5.1 with Home Sharing will be fixed finally, and my love for Apple TV will be rekindled 🙂 (If not... it’s sadly bye bye 🙁)

Comment

srbNYC

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I know I've commented on this before, but I'm consistently surprised, amazed, and disappointed that the typically protective and strict Apple is so lax about basic system functionality in approved apps. HBOMax and Peacock don't seem to allow speech-dictated search; should't that be a requisite for release in this ecosystem?

Not even talking about the rest of the UI mess that is the Peacock app.

Comment

Zoltare

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
I work or a School system in NC and am trying to find out if anyone has herd when apple will release this as a public version of 14.3. We are seeing some problems when running Mojave that when using apple tv os 14.2 it will kick users off when streaming multiple videos. If anyone knows a tie frame please reply.

Comment

LarrySW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2016
I work or a School system in NC and am trying to find out if anyone has herd when apple will release this as a public version of 14.3. We are seeing some problems when running Mojave that when using apple tv os 14.2 it will kick users off when streaming multiple videos. If anyone knows a tie frame please reply.
It'll come out today alongside iOS 14.3, iPadOS 14.3 and the new watch OS (forget what number that is on). Apple Fitness+ comes out today and uses those new versions and AppleTV utilizes Fitness+.

Comment

Zoltare

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
So your looking at it coming out today? Will this be in the afternoon or so when apple releases them?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.