Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the RC version of an upcoming watchOS 7.4 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new beta coming two weeks release of the seventh beta and over two months after the launch of watchOS 7.3 with "Time to Walk" functionality, expanded ECG availability, and a new Unity watch face.

7.4-on-Apple-Watch-feature-copy.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 7.4 beta, developers need to download the proper configuration profile from the Apple Developer Center. Once the profile is in place, the watchOS 7.4 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated ‌Apple Watch‌ app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

To update to the new software, the ‌Apple Watch‌ needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the ‌‌‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌‌‌.

Alongside iOS 14.5, watchOS 7.4 introduces a new "Unlock with Apple Watch" feature that lets an iPhone with Face ID use an unlocked and authenticated Apple Watch as a secondary authentication measure when you're wearing a mask, alleviating the need to enter a passcode to unlock the iPhone.

iphone-apple-watch-unlock.jpg

Face ID does not work when wearing a mask, but this new Apple Watch feature provides an easy but still secure way to access the iPhone without the hassle of a passcode. It's similar to the Apple Watch unlocking on Mac and can be enabled in the Settings app under Face ID & Passcode.

An unlocked Apple Watch paired with Face ID can unlock the iPhone when a mask is worn, but it's only for mask usage. The Apple Watch cannot be used to authenticate Apple Pay or App Store purchases, nor can it be used to unlock apps that require a Face ID scan. In these situations, the mask will need to be removed or a passcode/password will need to be used instead.

iphone-apple-watch-unlock-2.jpg

When the Apple Watch unlocks the iPhone, you'll feel a haptic tap on the wrist and will receive a notification on the watch, similar to how it works when using the watch to unlock a Mac.

For those who use Apple Fitness+, the watchOS 7.4 update combined with iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5 enables AirPlay 2 for Apple Fitness+, so workouts can be streamed to an AirPlay 2-enabled TV or set-top box. Apple Watch metrics do not show up on the screen when AirPlayed, however, and that feature is limited to iPhone/iPad/Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Seeds RC Version of watchOS 7.4 to Developers

FishyFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
I'm incredibly proud to report that I have successfully installed the watchOS 7.4 RC on my Series 6 and Series 5 watches and it is everything they said it would be. Smooth, responsive, and powerful, watchOS 7.4 is everything I've been waiting for!

Of course watchOS 8 is going to be great, but for now, watchOS 7.4 is the fullest realization of watchOS in the universe. Thank you Apple, highly recommended++

If you didn't do the beta but are looking for ideas about whether you should upgrade to watchOS 7.4 next week, absolutely you should. It is amazing, simply put.

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
Does anyone know how to remove the Time to Walk feature from the top of Workout App? I only run and I hate ever since this 7.1 or 2 came out, it stays at the top of my carousel??? Any help would be much appreciated :)

HailstormX

Contributor
Nov 21, 2012
Bummer they are using the same dev profile for the 7.4 RC and the new 7.5 Beta 1. Even though having separate listings on the dev portal download page (so strange) I missed my 1 day window.
Glad I caught that before it auto installed 7.5 beta 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.