Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the release candidate version of the upcoming watchOS 10.3 update to developers and public beta testers, with the beta coming a week after the release of the third watchOS 10.3 beta. The release candidate represents the final version of watchOS 10.3 that will be provided to the public next week when watchOS 10.3 launches.

Apple-Watch-Faces-watchOS-10-Feature-Blue.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 10.3‌ update, developers will need to open the Apple Watch app, go to the Software Update section under "General" in Settings, and toggle on the watchOS 10 Developer Beta. An Apple ID linked to a developer account is required.

Once beta updates have been activated, watchOS 10.3 can be downloaded under the same Software Update section. To install software, an Apple Watch needs to have 50 percent battery life and it must be placed on an Apple Watch charger.

There's no word yet on the new features that might be included in watchOS 10.3 beyond a new Unity Bloom watch face, and no notable new features were found during the beta testing process.

Full release notes are below:
watchOS 10.3 includes new features, improvements, and bug fixes, including new Unity Bloom watch face to honor Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Release Candidate Version of watchOS 10.3

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I really hope this fixes the Sleep focus / Alarm / lack of sync issues... Basically since iOS 17, I've had this problem...

Reactions: GoldenChild

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Does anyone know if this release will remove the blood oxygen monitoring feature Apple stated they would remove to avoid the Apple Watch sales ban?

Need to check if apple disable o2 sensor on ultra 2 on that update

Get on it, MacRumors. This is the kind of investigative journalism we need you for. Inquiring minds want to know!

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Does anyone know if this release will remove the blood oxygen monitoring feature Apple stated they would remove to avoid the Apple Watch sales ban?
Even if they don't remove it in this RC build 21S644 - suppose they make a public release with build 21S645 removing O2 monitoring on ALL apple watches in ALL countries!

Then don't update the watch at all!

Go to apple store asking for refund telling them you bought the apple watch for O2 functionality (even if you didn't).

If they say no, this opens them up to a whole lot more legal trouble because consumer protection legislation in many countries stipulate that if a device does not function as advertised then you are in fact entitled to a FULL REFUND.

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Even if they don't remove it in this RC build 21S644 - suppose they make a public release with build 21S645 removing O2 monitoring on ALL apple watches in ALL countries!

Or worse yet, suppose they make the O2 monitoring "phone home" to see if it's allowed to run...à la macOS's Gatekeeper. Then Apple could disable it later without an OS update! I doubt Apple would be that extreme, but anything is possible.

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
Or worse yet, suppose they make the O2 monitoring "phone home" to see if it's allowed to run...à la macOS's Gatekeeper. Then Apple could disable it later without an OS update! I doubt Apple would be that extreme, but anything is possible.
They can implement that easy. I already have experience when several app was removed without any notice

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I think regardless of anything in apple's terms and conditions, they are playing with fire when they introduce updates that remove functionality.

In many countries this alone would be illegal, particularly as it relates to advertised functionalities. If the updates remove functionalities that were previously advertised they would be in breach of consumer protection laws.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
The new unity face is beautiful. I think it is one of the best new faces introduced so far. Except for Snoopy. Snoopy is god.

ktd

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Is the ”way to dim” display in dark environments fixed for the S9 and U2?

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I’m assuming that if you hit start it works as it has always.

Wouldn’t that be an interesting way to modify it. App is still there, opens up.

But when you hit start it just pops up a message that says “Sorry, Masimo won’t let us do this anymore. Call this number and tell them what you think about it.”

Hiroshi080

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
Wouldn’t that be an interesting way to modify it. App is still there, opens up.

But when you hit start it just pops up a message that says “Sorry, Masimo won’t let us do this anymore. Call this number and tell them what you think about it.”
😂 hey it could happen…

Reactions: CarAnalogy

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK

Go to apple store asking for refund telling them you bought the apple watch for O2 functionality (even if you didn't).

If they say no, this opens them up to a whole lot more legal trouble because consumer protection legislation in many countries stipulate that if a device does not function as advertised then you are in fact entitled to a FULL REFUND.
With this RC build, Blood Oxygen is still working in UK.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
With this RC build, Blood Oxygen is still working in UK.
It's my understanding that this only applies to the US, where the import ban applies. That's why removing the physical sensor makes no sense to Apple.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Exactly - so outside of the US there shouldn't be a problem.
So, if it doesn't impact the S9 or Ultra 2 already sold in the US, only models on their way here from being manufactured, how will they make this work? Using some kind of skimmer they can wave over all of them in store to "update" them? Removing the feature from the watches already sold and on our wrists isn't going to happen.

Neo91

macrumors member
May 12, 2007
My Apple Watch Ultra 2 display is still to dark in low light situation. And I can’t make it brighter manually. Anyone know if this gets fixed in any way with 10.3?

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
So, if it doesn't impact the S9 or Ultra 2 already sold in the US, only models on their way here from being manufactured, how will they make this work? Using some kind of skimmer they can wave over all of them in store to "update" them? Removing the feature from the watches already sold and on our wrists isn't going to happen.

What will likely happen is whatever system puts the software on in the first place will start putting on modified software at the factory. They definitely are not physically removing the sensor. After that I suppose they will be identified by serial number. It seems Apple is doing everything they can to avoid removing the feature for people who already bought it, since technically the ban only applies to new devices brought into the country. Any NEW shipments will have the new software. What happens after that, I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.