Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Safari 4 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has started seeding developers with an early version of Safari 4 (5526.11.2). The releases comes amidst news of Apple's plans for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) which will focus on performance and quality.

In their press release for Snow Leopard, Apple revealed that Snow Leopard includes Safari "with the fastest implementation of JavaScript ever, increasing performance by 53 percent, making Web 2.0 applications feel more responsive." Apple will reportedly accomplish this dramatic speedup with SquirrelFish technology which is currently under development for Webkit. Snow Leopard is due for release in "about a year", though Safari 4 release could come much sooner and for existing operating systems. In fact, they are seeding versions specifically for Windows, Tiger and Leopard.

Apple's focus on high performance Javascript becomes obvious now that they have demoed the new web applications that come with MobileMe (Guided Tour). MobileMe provides web-applications for email, calendar and address book which were described as being as responsive as desktop-based applications.

Article Link

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Nice to see Apple moving forward with Safari 4. I suppose we'll see Snow Leopard released at or by next years WWDC

Comment

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
If MobileMe fixes bookmark syncing, I might take a look at S4. Otherwise, I'll stick with Firefox.

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

richthomas said:
so does this mean Safari will be snappier? :D

In theory for the java based web applications.

Comment

officerdick

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

In theory for the java based web applications.

The JavaScript web applications (AJAX) Java is something completeley else.

Comment

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
Took a shot of Saf 4, awesome web app saving. Uploading…

Attachments

• Picture 53.png
    Picture 53.png
    660.5 KB · Views: 2,180
Comment

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Safari 4 sounds good. There must be some new features in Snow Leopard, however, or else what's the point in buying it? Leopard runs really fast on my new MBP anyway - I wouldn't really notice a 50% speed increase - certainly not to warrant buying another £80.

Comment

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Read the Apple website quote...

Well, that's the usual running gag...
For the first time, it *might* actually be snappier! ;)

After all, isn't Snow-leopard supposed to be all about fixes, security and speed? :)

O.T. I didn't even knew about Fluid...:eek:
Looks great... Can't wait for (finally!) really useful Webclips...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.